Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 43: Boston Celtics (34-10) vs. Dallas Mavericks (24-19) 119-110 loss
(01-23-2024, 09:40 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Good stuff on the Luka conundrum.  

As to the above, when we talk about "6' 8" or taller and can dribble" and specific names get mentioned, people often say "he's not any better than THJ".  But, if that guy can negate the need for THJ, you eliminate this lineup (and variations that are even worse).  You put more size and presumably more rebounding on the floor.  Even if the guy does nothing more than the "THJ waive" at 3 point shooters, he'll at least be 3-4 inches closer to the release point (sarcasm alert...I just wanted to say the words "THJ waive".  Luka is even worse BTW.  We are so susceptible to an extra pass or two.  Our aggressive defenders fly into the first row and THJ/Luka are in the paint "waiving" at wide open shooters).

I interpret "and can dribble" to mean the player can create for himself and others.  That just isn't in Hardaway's wheelhouse, but everyone else is so limited that he has to play.  We need to put 3 defenders on the floor and you can't get there with THJ being a critical offensive cog.  Even Kuzma (for example) out there getting cardio half the game lets you keep two of Luka, Kyrie, Kuzma on the floor with any two of them able to create for themselves and others.  The extra size also lets you keep your on-ball defenders on the floor without being so undersized.

I think the problem is that if you get a big wing who can create for themselves and others (like Kuz) they are going to be somebody you are basically forced to start and finish with.  If that guy can't play defense (again like Kuz) then you are looking at significant court time without three defenders, including the most important minutes of the game.  That is why a lot of us feel like if you are going to get that third best player, he needs to be able to play defense.  We can't get a guy like that right now with the assets we have, but we will have the assets to do it in the offseason.  I did not look at that game last night and think we are a Kuz away.  Our biggest issue was defense.  If we are going to spend significant assets, it has to be for somebody that can play defense at a high level.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 01-22-2024, 11:03 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 01-23-2024, 09:25 AM
RE: Game 43: Boston Celtics (34-10) vs. Dallas Mavericks (24-19) 119-110 loss - by mvossman - 01-23-2024, 11:47 AM