Poll: Who played above expectations?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Derrick Jones Jr (10reb, 1ast, 1stl, 3blk, 12pts)
6.25%
2 6.25%
Dwight Powell (6red, 4ast, 1stl, 9pts)
12.50%
4 12.50%
Kyrie Irving (8red, 5ast, 3stl, 2blk, 35pts)
81.25%
26 81.25%
Luka (6reb, 8ast, 1stl, 34pts)
0%
0 0%
G. Williams (2reb, 2blk, 9pts)
0%
0 0%
THJ (4reb, 1ast, 12pts)
0%
0 0%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 37 Dirkie Thread: Kyrie...by a furlong.
That was bar none the best game the Mavs have played this year and it wasn't even close for me. The shots weren't even falling and they still found a way to pull through.

Kyrie Motha Ducka Irving was HIM tonight. He was lethal. I can't recall another Mav player other than the big 2 (Luka and Dirk) putting the team on his back and just finding ways to win both offensively and defensively like Kyrie did tonight. He was literally everywhere. The hustle, the grit, the clutchness, it was a MASTERCLASS. His 4th quarter performance led this team to a victory by igniting the 11-0 run that sealed the game after the Wolves hit first. His 3rd quarter was filled with countless of counterpunches and diving for loose balls that it made a tear come to my eye. He was bar none the MVP of the game, AND elevated his performance to seal the deal with his defense and rebounding. I'd never have imagined I'd say Kyrie Irving was a menace on the boards, nor that he was a defensive stopper. But he was that. Dirkie for you Kyrie.

Luka had statistically an incredible night, but it was apparent he's hurting. If it wasn't the quad stopping him from running properly, it was the ankle preventing him from planting. Despite that he still put up 34pts on 12/26 shooting and 5/12 from 3. It's pretty insane this is a pedestrian night for Luka. Michael Jordan was the only dude I can ever remember who made 30pts feel like a bad night. Luka is on that level. He is insane. Hope he gets better soon.

Shoutout to Dwight Powell. He had some pretty horrible moments, mostly rebounding, but he did affect the game in a positive way. His ability to pass off the short roll was a tried and true method for the Mavs tonight. It led to 8 pts including a dagger 3 for Kyrie in the quarter in the 4th. And before anyone says it's easy for a big to do that, look at Gobert trying to pass out of pressure to Edwards tonight! Powell worked and worked and was physical all night with Gobert and KAT. He was great. He set some great screens that freed the Mavs, and there was one moment in the 3rd where he orchestrated a broken play within the flow of the offense that got Luka an easy layup. Of course Powell wasn't without faults. I felt like his defense did let the team down at times, and Minny feasted on the boards. But tonight Powell worked his ass off and made the plays happen that led the Mavs to a win.

DJJ and Grant also deserve some special mention. DJJ had I felt the 3rd most impactful night of any Mav. He was everywhere and worked so hard on the glass. His weakside help prevented at least 3 layups by my count. He rebounded very well despite giving up 5 inches to KAT, Reid, and Gobert. Grant too. He worked very hard on defense. His shot still is lost, and I'm not sure where the player he was in the first 10 games went, but I hope he bounces back soon.

What a statement win from these Mavs!!!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by KillerLeft - 01-07-2024, 10:17 PM
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by Chicagojk - 01-07-2024, 10:24 PM
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by BolsDamols - 01-07-2024, 10:24 PM
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by MrGoat - 01-07-2024, 10:27 PM
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by ThisIStheYear - 01-07-2024, 10:46 PM
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by mvossman - 01-07-2024, 11:48 PM
RE: Game 37 Dirkie Thread: - by SleepingHero - 01-08-2024, 01:39 AM