Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derrick Jones Jr - is the improvement real?
(12-04-2023, 04:12 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: He has been a nice surprise.  Only 26.  Did the Mavs actually upgrade from former UNLV players this offseason?

Question, Do you think things would look different/better if Portland did not match for Thybulle and us not signing Jones?

He's been better than Thybulle.  His defense isn't as good but he is much better offensively.  

Honestly, I think he's been slightly better than Grant Williams thus far.  The Mavericks seem to have struggled against athletic teams for a long time.  It's refreshing to watch and see the Mavs with a super-athletic forward on the roster.  Along with Kyrie and Josh Green, it's nice to see some quick-twitch players in Maverick uniforms.

DJJ is unlikely to maintain his current 3-point percentage-  .415.  However, his 3-point percentage has improved for 5 consecutive seasons.  That's evidence of hard work in the offseason improving his game.  I think the spike in percentage this season is also related to a lot of open looks playing with Luka and Kyrie.  I predict he'll finish at over 35% from 3 for the season.

DJJ looks like an excellent rotation player thus far.  It would have been wise to sign him to a 2-year deal this past off-season at a number higher than the vet minimum.  Re-signing him this coming off-season should be a priority.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Derrick Jones Jr - is the improvement real? - by surfpuckmd - 12-06-2023, 10:45 AM