Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (9-7) vs. Dallas Mavericks (10-5) | 101-104 WIN!!!!!!!!
(11-25-2023, 11:48 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's pretty easy to see why Lively and Powell were playing ahead of Holmes, imo, just like it's pretty easy to see why the Mavs become interested in some of the bigs we talk about around here but seemingly have zero interest in some of the others.

For the Mavs to become interested:

1) the center must be a pick and roll player (Holmes qualifies here, but MANY of the names people fixate on do not). If they aren't SOME type of pick and roll big (rim runner, pick-n-pop spacer, SOMETHING) the Mavs won't look twice at them. That should be obvious by now.

2) The reason Holmes isn't viewed as favorably as Powell to start with, imo, is that Powell, like Lively, is a VERTICAL SPACER. That seems to be what the team believes is MOST necessary for their offensive system to work. Regardless of how much we each think Holmes does/does not have left, I think it's safe to say his vertical spacing days are over. I have a pretty confident feeling that the centers started the season in the order LUKA preferred, not just the coaches, and that VERTICAL SPACING was the crux of what formed the ranking.

EDIT: Having said the above, it's possible that everyone involved wants to move protecting the paint and rebounding up in the importance equation a little at this point, and IF Holmes really is better at that stuff (I'm far from convinced he will be, consistently) maybe it's time for him to get some time.

Not another issue with Luka.  Say it isnt so.

Dude...genuinely not trying to be negative.   You know who my last username was now...so dont hold this against me.

But damn it seems hard to put a team around Luka.   Its like you have to find these niche, needle in haystack players.

Love the guy.   Best Offensive player ever, imo...but I think I tell Luka that we need rebounding and paint protection over his wants.   Hes so good he can still produce on offense without Powell.  But...we cant rebound and rim protect with Powell.

I dont know.   Im ornery with how difficult the roster building for this team seems to be and it seems to mostly revolve around Luka's offensive wants and his lack of defense in regular season.   For the Record...I think Luka is really good at defense...he just only shows it in Playoffs.   But we still approach the roster building as needing to find guys that fit defensively for Luka.

It just gets frustrating.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 15: Los Angeles Lakers (9-7) vs. Dallas Mavericks (10-5) | 101-104 WIN!!!!!!!! - by youzigizag - 11-25-2023, 01:12 PM