Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 13: Milwaukee Bucks (9-4) vs. Dallas Mavericks (9-4) | 125-132 loss
Mavs didn't lose because offense wasn't good. Offense was great. Milwaukee really misses JRue. Lopez is great protecting the rim (as DJJ found out), but opponents can have as much of open mid range shots as they want. Kyrie and Luka exploted that greatly. Mavs scored 125 points. That is a lot and should be enough in most games.

Mavs problem is, they allowed 132 points and Milwaukee wasn't even that great from three. Not sure about the praise for defense against Giannis. What I saw is he basically got whatever he wanted - 18 of 26 from the floor. He is an awesome player, but I am not sure why Mavs didn't even try to play tougher against him. Make him earn it from the line... DJJ is basically the only point of attack defender and he is a liability offensively. The other thing I don't understand is people defending Green. And its not about his offense, it is about his defense. He sucks as a point of attack defender in last couple of games. He always brings energy, but he is awful getting around the screens or even staying in front of people. Offense with him was 81.8 (but I could accept a lot goes to other guys missing shots), but defense with him was at 143, only Curry and Powell got worse numbers. Not sure what happened, but defense with Green on the floor really fell apart in the last 3 games. Defense in DJJ minutes was great, but offense wasn't.

As said so many times before, Mavs biggest need is a better player like DJJ. Great defender who can do more offensively. THJ has been supprisingly awesome offensively, but you can't hope for a good enough defense with him next to Luka and Kyrie. This is about building correct pieces around Mavs stars, not saying THJ is a bad player. He just isn't what Mavs need. Team defense improves dramatically with him off the court. Not because THJ is bad, but because Mavs need better defenders next to their stars. However, the way Green has played lately, we might start thinking about keeping THJ and replacing Green and his minutes with that true 2-way wing. Mavs playing 4 guards and Powell is not doing anyone any favors...

I have no idea why Drummond or Olynik are mentioned around here. Both are horrible defenders. Powell is not that bad and that big of a problem. Mavs problem is imho, they only have guards in bench rotation. Hardaway, Green, Curry, Exum and Hardy. These are the only bench players in rotation besides Powell (with Kleber out, and even than they played him exclusively at center, so instead of Powell not next to him). Bringing a slow footed offensive big will not help with defensive issues. They need to bring in bigger wings. Replace at least one of those guards with a bigger wing. Most logical solution imho is, again, a good 2-way wing replacing DJJ in the starting unit and bringing DJJ from bench.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 11-19-2023, 09:46 AM
RE: Game 13: Milwaukee Bucks (9-4) vs. Dallas Mavericks (9-4) | 125-132 loss - by omahen - 11-19-2023, 06:45 PM