Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Hornets 123
(01-05-2020, 05:55 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I know you'll poopoo on this trade, but wonder if this is the right value

Trying to show how NO would look at our players.

1. Jrue averages 20 PPG and is an excellent defender. Streaky 13 PPG on so so defense THJ is a huge step down for NO
2. Wright is streaky and nothing special for his salary. A little expensive back up PG. I would rather take Brunson
3. Maxi is great, but needs excellent PG to create him open looks. Will he have such open looks in NO, where defenders can give a little space to Ball and Zion?
4. All in all, NO is definitely loosing on offense making this trade. If Favors is as good as you advertise they are also losing on defense. THJ
I would trade Ball, if I am NO, as long as he still has value. I don't think he is capable to be a first PG on a contender. PetBev type of PG would be perfect fit next to creators like Jrue and Ingram. Or Dragic - knows how to play, can pass, can hit a three, can play PnR. Brogdon would be absolutely perfect.

(01-05-2020, 02:03 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't know how Luka would do long-term with CP3 choosing when he gets the ball as opposed to Luka being that guy. Like KP though, it probably wouldn't eat at him as long as they're winning.

I have to go back to this. Luka will need to share the ball. We desperately need a secondary facilitator. 

Regarding CP3. Assuming it would cost Lee+THJ to get him, we are not giving away any real assets. We keep our MLE guy next year and all picks. Unless the trade would completely blow up in our face, we would be a serious contender. We will still have assets to upgrade Powell or DFS if needed. Since we will be a serious contender we could also get a ring hunting veteran for that MLE. Think Milsap, Ibaka, perhaps even Gallo as he will be 32 already. The only thing we might be losing is our 2021 pipedream. Personally I think, CP3 and Luka would be great together, as they both have high BBIQ and want to win. Yes, CP3 will be a little worse every year as he ages. But as long as he doesn't completely fall off the cliff, he will contribute. We don't need him to be the go to guy anyway. We need his veteran stability. 

What is the alternative? Do we hope this team grows up naturally and becomes serious contender in next year or two? Can THJ expiring, 2020 1st and GSW 2nd bring so much better player than THJ to put us in serious contention (will that player be risk free? - I don't think so)? Do we wait till 2021 for Giannis? As with CP3 trade, there are huge IFs in all the scenarios I have mentioned. 

Personally, I am surprised how good Mavs really are. Even as a Luka fan, I didn't expect him to be this good. Although I am more of a careful person regarding building hopes (some might call me pessimist Smile ), I think Mavs are really only a piece or two away from contending. However, I think this team as it is, doesn't have the quality to contend. They lack killer mentality.

Reading about Kidd I found this statement on Wiki: "The Mavericks hoped that Kidd would provide leadership to the team that for years had been labelled as weak mentally and help Dallas and its franchise-player to win their first ever NBA Championship"
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Hornets 123 - by omahen - 01-05-2020, 06:26 PM