Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Hornets 123
(01-05-2020, 03:25 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 03:07 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Not having the assets is yet another example of how monumentally fubar this offseason was. Just think if we had the roster we do, plus Favors. Or plus Brogdan. Or plus one or two more players of the same level and cost as Maxi and Wright.

The Mavs have one thing to show for having quixotically saved money this offseason - the trade exception. If they don't use it, then, as Darth Vader would say, Donnie's failure will be complete. Bet good money we don't use it.

One thing to consider - if the Mavs don't add any long-term assets by trade, will they have any cap room this summer? Having cap room could be a justification for not making a trade now - if they spend the cap room, of course.
Offseasons can't be finally evaluated a few months later, but I wouldn't say that this one was a complete failure, even if they don't use the TE. They did re-sign Porzingis, which was their most important move. Not all alternative scenarios involve greener grass.

The real justification for not doing a trade is not finding any opportunities that they deem worth what they would have to give up. They shouldn't make a trade just for the sake of saying they did. Even just the use of the TE involves introducing one or more new elements into the team, taking on salary, and dispensing with a current player. Which may or may not be worth it.

I am not caping for the front office, or for standing pat during the season. But don't think it's time to push the panic button yet -- this is a foundation building year, not their only chance at glory, which might justify a more desperate move. We will learn a lot more about this team by the summer, and there will be plenty of chances to point fingers at the MBT, if that turns out to be warranted!

I disagree from the standpoint that 1) the Mavs have to improve their roster, both now and in the medium term, and 2) if they don't make a trade, they aren't going to have anything more than the MLE to do so this summer. Another consideration is how important 2021 cap room is to them. If they place a premium on that, then you can forget about a THJ + pick trade this summer, because THJ's value is in his expiration, so you're very unlikely to get anything back if you're protecting 2021 cap room.

If the Mavs want cap room in 2021, and want to be competitive at an at least minimally acceptable level next year, I would say that a 2020 "we love our boys in blue" trade deadline is binarily and absolutely unacceptable to me as a Mavs fan. Not that Cuban cares what I think. But I will break things first if we don't make a trade at the deadline, and again if we don't throw out 2021 for a THJ/pick trade.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Hornets 123 - by Scott41theMavs - 01-05-2020, 03:35 PM