Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 8: Toronto Raptors (4-4) vs. Dallas Mavericks (6-2) | 127-116 loss
(11-09-2023, 08:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I have always liked that Toronto team despite them being pretty average the last few years.    The question I have for them is what is their plan?   Going into the offseason where both Siakem and OG (plus Trent) can be free agents is really concerning.  Especially with some comments by their GM prior to the season.   

I agree OG would fit really nice here.  I think he may be overvalued in some trade discussions in the past, but there is no doubt he would have a lot of suitors.   

I really like Barnes and I think I would prefer Siakem over OG.   Age would be consideration though.  So I wonder if they would move OG for a scoring guard.    What about Levine?  It would even them out some.   I just think Toronto needs to do something and they probably need to make a decision between Siakem or OG.   I don't know you can go into the offseason with both free or give both big contracts.

I think Toronto guys are all great, but none of them is good enough to be a number one option on a contender. A bunch of second options is just not good enough. But the one year they were able to add a number one option, they won a ring. Since you mentioned LaVine, I think Chicago is in the same position, really. None of their guys is capable of leading a contender. 

I think the way out for Toronto is to get that number one option. But, I am sure they were trying to do that ever since Kawhi left, but just didn't have success. Toronto is not an attractive destination. As you said, there guys are expiring now and will probably become even more expensive next season. At one point they will probably have to admit that finding their alpha through the draft is the only option, unless they want to be forever mediocre. 

Siakam and OG (also Trent, but less relevant and important) basically control their destiny at this point. A couple of options from this point:
a) If they give a clear message to Toronto, they don't want to resign, Toronto best option is to trade them before summer, as they are certainly not a contender this season. Since the message will be clear they don't want to resign, their trade value will be limited, as only teams with high amount of certainty they will resign with them will be willing to offer something valuable. Philadelphia is being mentioned a lot regarding OG ever since they solved the Harden situation. Relationship plays great role in this. Convince them they want to be with a certain team and their market will be limited. 
b) Players keep it open, giving vague answers about summer. Past experience would show that Toronto would stay pat in this situation and hope to resign them in summer, taking the risk if they decide to go elsewhere (Lowry, FVV cases as examples).

I think Toronto will trade Siakam and try to do everything to keep OG. But, he might demand to be traded (send signals he won't resign). 

I mentioned OG as the type of player it would really fit great with Mavs next to Luka and Kyrie. I don't think it is very likely Mavs will be able to get him. He can play a third violine on a more established "almost contender" like Philly or choose the path of Bridges or Grant, seeking a bigger role with a weak team to inflate his value. But, fortunately for us, there are other big wings that could be available either at TDL or next season that could be more realistic targets.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 11-08-2023, 07:42 PM
RE: Game 8: Toronto Raptors (4-4) vs. Dallas Mavericks (6-2) | 127-116 loss - by omahen - 11-09-2023, 09:08 AM