Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs MVP at the 5% Mark (sans Luka)
(11-07-2023, 11:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I wonder if DJJ would keep much of his playing time if moved to the bench.  To me, the only way he really works is with the very best offensive players around him.  Kyrie and Luka can theoretically overcome the lack of spacing when Jones plays with either Lively or Powell.  But, that probably doesn’t happen if you pair DJJ with Lively or Powell surrounded by lessor offensive players.  The only real opportunities for DJJ off the bench would be with Maxi at center or in small-ball lineups (which we saw last night).  I think this applies whether Green moves to the starting lineup or you bring in a new starter from the outside.

DJJ and Lively lineups are negative and DJJ and Powell lineups are net flat.  The DJJ/Kleber lineups are massively positive, but the sample size is minuscule.  Pretty much anything with Green is working, but he plays a super important swing role right now.  He’s part of what makes the single-star lineups work and he’s part of what makes the late game dual-star lineups work.  If he’s moved to the starting lineup and DJJ joins the bench, I worry whether it will work as well.  DJJ/THJ lineups are very negative so far this season.

I’m starting to see calls for someone bigger than GWill who defends like DJJ and hits 3’s with consistency.  I agree that is a need.  Maxi is supposed to fill that need, but he’s either been hurt or has been the center the few minutes he’s played.  I know Kidd is experimenting, but I’d like to see more of Maxi as backup 4, especially when we play bigger teams like Denver.  Powell has been just fine in his center minutes.

PJ was reportedly considered this summer, but he and GWill as your starting forwards would be a defensive problem on the perimeter.  Thybulle was obviously considered, but he’s basically DJJ at 5x the cost.  I think Green is the answer and you make your trade for someone to replace him on the bench who is a better version of DJJ/Maxi.  Or, as I’ve said before, you take a bigger swing for someone who is good enough to push either Josh or GWill to the bench.  If he’s bigger, he pushes Williams.  If he can guard the perimeter, he pushes Josh.  I’m not sure we have the ammunition for the latter until this summer.  It won’t be easy to improve on Maxi or DJJ as bench players with the assets we have.  One guy I’m keeping an eye on is Olynyk.  I could see Ainge cashing him in once Utah is out of the running.

Yeah, DJJ with Maxi from bench should work and this is a role I would see for him. As I said, I think Green is great in his current role. I don't think it changes in any way if Mavs bring a legit starter to replace DJJ in the starting unit by taking THJ minutes. That guy should be able to provide DJJ defensive role and THJ offensive role. I don't think Mavs are a contender without such a guy. Moving Green to starting unit this season could make bench units much less effective, which is not the case now. But, it doesn't really hurt to give it a try. I agree it is most likely we will see such a move during summer, not this season. This season I would watch the buyout market, it looks pretty certain a couple or more of PF Philly received from LAC will be traded at TDL. 

I don't think Mavs ever targeted PJ. I think that was just Mavs twitter thing. I remember Stein saying that.

Edit: I would not spend any assets unless it is a surefire starter level we are describing. Minor change will not make this team a contender, just a waste of assets
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mavs MVP at the 5% Mark (sans Luka) - by omahen - 11-07-2023, 12:18 PM