Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can the Mavs NOT Be Better with These Additions?
The Mavs are better.
Way better than last season.

But IMHO this team's success relies on 5 things:

5. The young guys quickly learning and contributing.
4. Luka and Kyre being healthy.
3. Luka's discipline.
2. Kidd going away from the Luka-centric offense.
1. Kidd actually learning some X's and Os.

Kidd says he is going to play the rookies in preseason. I'd give him credit for that. The young guys need to learn quickly, most specially Lively who needs to contribute sooner than later. The rooks will struggle and I expect some losses because of this. But for the C spot for the Mavs, it's the only way forward.

Now, I am not dismissing what Richaun can do at the 5. I think he's going to be the starting C most of the time for the Mavs after 20 games. But I am hoping/expecting Lively to be the backup after All-Star break, and DP getting less minutes.

Moving on to Luka, apart from health, my concern with him is his focus. He may be a generational talent, but his attitude in-game has been annoying. Not every call would go his way, he must remember that, and no use complaining EVERYTIME.

Luka also has to learn how to play to the team's strengths. We know how good the Mavs are in a half court offense because of his methodical ways. But he has Green and Kyrie out there in the starting 5. Two quick players who'd thrive in a quicker pace. He has GW too who is capable handling the ball on a break. He has Exum too who only knows one speed in transition. If there's an opportunity for quick and easy scores, Luka needs to dampen his love of bringing the ball up, and push the ball with a pass instead of dribbling himself. Kidd must allow players who can throw long but accurate passes by players who can do so, other than Luka and Kyrie.

On the subject of Kidd by the way. If Kidd remains the same Kidd I saw last season, I still expect the Mavs to win DESPITE of him and not because of him. If Kidd thinks he doesn't need to design too many plays because Luka and Kyrie can handle the offense, I expect a first round exit. Kidd is super slow to adjust. His game is PLAN-EXECUTE-maybe-adapt? So it's really important for him to get all those plans -- from grand schemes down to the last-second-in-bound-plays in his playbook for him to able to quickly adjust to any situation.

Kidd needs a cheat-sheet. Reliance on Luka and Kyrie is just lazy coaching. I hope he is better than that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Can the Mavs NOT Be Better with These Additions? - by Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-02-2023, 09:17 PM