Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 123, Nets 111
(01-03-2020, 04:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 04:26 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: One word.  BOBAN

Mavs don't need another big, especially another BIG of the type that Carlisle really doesn't want to play in his system anyway. 

Seems a lot of fans don't recognize how Boban's presence on the floor absolutely changes the game offensively, giving them the other type of scoring they lack against certain defenses.  It presents some defensive challenges but it also gives them rebounding boost and forces at least one opposing big to stay glued to Boban around the rim. 

Dallas commentators mention it several times and Harp seems to really make a point of it.  Boban changes the floor for Dallas on offense in a really good way as a change of pace scoring. 

Thing is, he's only playing because KP is hurt, no matter how well he plays.  Get another bruising big man, its not going to change if history is any indicator.  They won't fit the system.  
At this point Boban has a better chance to get time probably just because he's been a team player and earned some trust.
I wonder if that has anything to do with getting the younguns reps in the primary system. Is he not really trying to fully win games like he will in the second half of the season (esp given the hot start) so as to get the young guys and new to his coaching guys more comfortable with what they need to do primarily? JJB already knows exactly what needs to be done. Boban knows exactly how he impacts a game. We've been talking about the possibility of RC saving JJB for the end of the season so he can light it up being pretty fresh going into the playoffs. Is there a possibility that that is what RC is doing with Boban too?

I'd like to think that is the case and we'll see JJB and Boban get used masterfully on the floor when the stakes get higher and the post season come around.  

Based on history though, I wouldn't hold my breath for that.  I can recall playoff games where Rick Carlisle would inexplicably to anyone else but himself, sit down hot players even when it seemed clear to everyone they could potentially be the difference in winning a big game.  

Roddy Beaubois for example comes to mind and off the top my head I think it might have been a Spurs playoff game where it seems was on FIRE and Carlisle shocked everyone by sitting him down and cooling him off just in the heat of the 4th quarter runs and the Mavs lost.  

Coach has his own reasons for minutes distribution and sometimes it quite the mystery. 
Whatever he sees limiting these guys minutes now, I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if its very different later in the season or the playoffs. 

In the words of a former Mavs center "The only person that stop Salah Mejri is Rick Carlisle".  Rolleyes
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 123, Nets 111 - by Dahlsim - 01-03-2020, 05:14 PM