Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIBA Qualifying Tournament: USA loses to Germany|Gold medal between Germany+Serbia
(09-01-2023, 06:57 PM)omahen Wrote: I think a third best player should be capable of putting up around 15 ppg and playing very good defense. Guys like Annunoby, Smart, Jerami Grant come to mind. There might be better offensive players on the team, but their defensive limitations would relegate them to 6th man role (I have Hardy as an example in mind). I am not sure GW can be that guy too, neither can anyone else currently on the team. That means Mavs still need to bring that guy in.

Anunoby would be great here.  Perfect fit.   I don't think we can afford him though either in terms of assets or his next contract.

I don't know that we should set a threshold of 15 ppg as what we require out of our 3rd-best player.  I understand your point though.  I think there's a pitfall that sometimes occurs with great defensive players.  Sometimes, when they begin to become more offensive-minded, they relax more on defense.  I see Jerami Grant, Myles Turner and Mikal Bridges as all being once-elite defensive players whose defense worsened once they became the number one or two offensive options on their teams.   I would prefer Josh Green expend as much energy as possible on defense and just be a good role player on offense.  3 and D when Kyrie and Luka are on the floor.  Handle the ball a little when Kyrie or Luka are resting.  If Kyrie or Luka miss a game, then his role on offense will increase.

I would be fine with trading Josh Green for a better third player but that player needs to be a great defender-  Anunoby, Derrick White or Nic Claxton come to mind.  I don't think I would want Jerami Grant the player or his contract.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FIBA Qualifying Tournament: Slovenia makes it out of groups! - by surfpuckmd - 09-01-2023, 07:35 PM
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 09-10-2023, 11:05 AM
RE: JamesConway912 - by WillE - 09-10-2023, 03:30 PM