Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dereck Lively II is first Maverick Player to earn Rising Stars Nod Since Luka Doncic
(07-15-2023, 10:43 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thinking back to his Duke stats and now look what he’s doing with very limited time learning the system.  I wonder how long before he’s able to do this against real NBA players:

“He has adapted well so far, as he’s averaging 8.0 points and 8.5 rebounds while shooting 60 percent from the field in 23.6 minutes per game. He has also been a big paint presence for Dallas on defense”

I may be well over my skis here, but I just don't see him as a G-league player.  Maybe Dwight gets the higher share of minutes to begin the year, but I would be surprised if Lively doesn't earn minutes as the year goes on.  Just seeing his movement on D and how he communicates to the rest of the team, screams he is going to earn minutes.   On offense, he is really limited.  But Powell is not Jokic out there.    If he can learn to set good screens and get to the right spot, Luka is going to get him 8 points a game just off that.   

Maybe it takes time and being a 19 year old there is going to be growing pains.   But his pains aren't going to be going 2-14 in a game and messing up all sorts of defensive rotations.   He will make plenty of mistakes, but I think in theory you can hide his offensive limitations playing with Luka and Kyrie.

edit- It will not be pretty if you line him up against Jokic and Embid next year.  He is going to be abused imo.   But you can't tell me there are 15-20 centers out there where he has a fighting chance against and very well make a positive impact.  So maybe Powell gets the minutes against Jokic's, Embid's, Sabonis and those type of centers early in the year and as the years goes on Lively gets some chances against them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Derek Lively II - one tough minded kid - by Chicagojk - 07-15-2023, 07:04 PM