Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statistically Determining Defense
(06-18-2023, 02:46 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: There will always be stuff the numbers cannot tell us. How many rotations did Luka miss. How many times did he not close out on a shooter. How many times did he not get back on defense.
I guess one could argue that the sum of all of it is +/- but even regressions in large sample sizes like 5-year RAPM cannot completly reduce "randomness".

In a way that is what the C.Wood debate comes down to. A player that is looking good if we are just looking at counting stats or tracking data. But where do I find the stat that tells me how many times Sweeney had to call out defensive assignments or rotations because even 60 games into the season he still didn´t know the scheme.

Ya, I don't know.  Let me play with the "contested shots" a bit.  So far my model really points to defensive production, but there has to be something pointing to engagement.  I watched all 82 games of the Mavs.  I never once thought "get Wood out of there; he's killing our D".  Perhaps I don't know shit, or perhaps Wood was banging Kidd's wife.  Stranger things have happened, like with Nash's ex-wife and Lebron's mom.  Has Kidd ever shown this disdain for another player when he was in BRK or MIL?  Something personal had to have happened.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Statistically Determining Defense - by Jym - 06-16-2023, 02:59 PM
RE: Statistically Determining Defense - by Jym - 06-16-2023, 07:00 PM
RE: Statistically Determining Defense - by Jym - 06-17-2023, 04:10 PM
RE: Statistically Determining Defense - by Jym - 06-17-2023, 09:38 PM
RE: Statistically Determining Defense - by Jym - 06-18-2023, 02:18 AM
RE: Statistically Determining Defense - by Ghost of Podkolzin - 06-18-2023, 02:17 PM