Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron
(06-11-2023, 10:55 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In your scenario the benefits cleary outweigh the costs. Mavs would fix their front court (short and longterm) in one offseason without giving up any of their young core pieces. Cannot imagine that they can find something as good or better if they stay under the first apron. So they aren´t really missing out (under the assumption that the Mavs can avoid a nuclear scenario where trade matches would be important...for example Kyrie asking for a trade).

The good news is this deal is post 7/1, so you know where you stand with Kyrie by then.

If we are trying to maximize the here and now, the way I would approach it (if money were no object) is 

1. I would keep #10 assuming my scouts really liked the player and fit.  I would trade 2027, but only for a near all-star (note that Kyrie was basically a superstar level player...with warts...and he came for a future unprotected first and role players, so 2027 should bring even more).  Allen meets the criteria in my mind and you don't have to jack with him being a free agent for a while and he's probably available for the right price.

2. Since the FA class is garbage, I'd stay away from anything that hard capped me.  That makes the Wood S&T an important aspect of how I might improve the team, so I need to know there is a deal out there.

3. I'd actually try to hold onto Bertans and Reggie as they are the mechanism for getting back under the first apron next season while also extending Green.  It also keeps you from carrying the S/W cost for multiple years.

If I can end up with Allen/Hendricks/Green/Luka/Irving/Hardy/Maxi, I don't mind a single year above the first apron (or even above the second) if I have a path back below the next season.

If we assume Wood at $16mm, you can do Wood for Allen with no additional salary.  If we have to stay within 10% on a trade, you can do Wood/McGee for Allen (assume all of these include the 2027 pick).  If Cleveland wants THJ, you can do Wood/THJ for Allen/Okoru.  I suspect they'd rather do Wood/THJ for Allen/Osman, but that can be made up by adding about $400k of salary from Cleveland or Wood taking $15.6mm instead of $16mm.  All of these keep us under the second apron assuming Kyrie at $40mm and Powell at $7mm.

Let's say you can pull off the version that includes Cedi and THJ.  In addition to the top seven listed before, you have Reggie, Cedi and Bertans who are expiring contracts.  You don't have picks to add, but expiring contracts might be valuable at the TDL as teams maneuver to fix their cap sheet ahead of 23/25.  Here is what it looks like if the deal is Wood/THJ/2027 for Allen/Osman.

Allen/Powell/McGee
Maxi/Hendricks/Morris
Green/Cedi/Lawson
Luka/Reggie/Holiday
Irving/Hardy/
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, chaparral, DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, Hypermav, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron - by DanSchwartzgan - 06-11-2023, 12:50 PM