Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT
(12-27-2019, 04:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I like the idea of optimizing KP's inside and outside abilities. But I don't think that's what the TNT guys were saying. And I don't think that optimization is what the Mavs end game struggles have been about.

You're making me think you never actually clicked on video link and listened to the comments 15th.  I actually linked to the point in the video where the conversation is relevant right away. In the first few minutes Kenny says "7 and 3 Ernie, 7 and 3".   That's exactly what he's talking about. 

https://youtu.be/L1UzpWZgu_Q?t=815 

As for the end game struggles, that's about a number of things.  Yes they need to settle down and not panic and continue to execute but they also need to know what exactly they should execute when they have big leads and are closing out games.

Good defense yes but optimized offense will absolutely help close a game too because in that scenario the other team needs stops more than you do.

(12-27-2019, 05:13 PM)burekemde Wrote: This is a non-sense discussion by the TNT crew. Of course they are correct Shaq and Barkley, if we were discussing a player that can and knows how to post up as well as shoot from outside. In case the post up game is better, of course one should focus more on that. In that case RC would design the offense accordingly.

But no, here we are discussing KP. He has no post up game. Carlise did use him posting up, every single game at least once and sometimes several or many times. He just cant do it! What Shaq/Barkley say is a "high percentage shot" is absolutely not true. Its a high percentage shot for Shaq/Barkley/Duncan. Its a low percentage shot for KP. Just because you are tall, it doesnt mean you can post up. We have seen KP against small guys and KP is the one that gets pushe away from the post and this is a low percentage shot.

You have to utilize the best of KP's game and that absolutely his 3 point shot and space the floor. Rick Carlise wins this discussion by far.

However there are other elements that are high percentage that Luka/KP are starting to implement. KP being on the weak side outside the ark on Lukas drives and Luka throwing it up for KP cutting to the basket for dunks. Also once KP is getting better at screens watch out for this dimension as well.

Which is why I point to what Kenny emphasizes, shots closer to rim and the ratio of those to the 3 point shots.  
It doesn't have to be strictly a 'Post up'.  Also a shot that begins in the post doesn't necessarily mean it needs to end the way Shaq or Barkley would end it.  KP can't do that.  

Kareem had the best shot in history, that started many times in the post but didn't end anything like Shaq or Barkley.  Dirk ended many Post ups as a One-Legged-Fadeaway. 
Duncan, ended with a face up bankshot sometimes, Wilt with a finger roll (they were not allowed to run people over back then they way they could with Shaq and guys like Giannis can do now).  

KP should be able to develop a consistent ender.  He doesn't have one now. 

Post is really just another way to get the ball inside as a starting position. 
If you have a open lane to roll in off PnR and dunk or take a lob or rim run I'll take any of those over a post position any time, but you won't get that consistently against good defense.  

The point is how to get the 7'3" skilled guy in for more close range shots to take advantage of his skills.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT - by Dahlsim - 12-27-2019, 05:18 PM