Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 62: LAL (28-32) @ DAL (32-29) | 2:30 CST tip
(02-27-2023, 11:07 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m never going to be a Kidd apologist, because there are many things about him I just don’t buy.

But, I think way too much is being made of this Holiday starting over Green thing. I think it was a temporary measure to accomplish two things:

1) accelerate the “crash course” schedule of getting Holiday acclimated to the team. Say what you want, but to me he has been better than expected and will unquestionably be in the stretch run/playoff rotation.

2) give him a shot to play the DFS role against a big, athletic front court like LA’s. This is unquestionably the biggest design flaw with the roster right now, so I get Kidd’s interest in experimenting for a week or so to find the best mix at his disposal. It didn’t go well, but I understand the thinking.

And, Green hasn’t been super great for this recent stretch (four games or so), so while he has obviously solidified his role on the team moving forward, I think there possibly could’ve been some thinking that scaling him back to his old role for a game or three might help recoup some of his comfort and confidence. 

It didn’t occur to me to wonder if Holiday was actually being given a chance to leap frog Green in the role hierarchy in any sort of permanent sense, and I don’t believe that’s the case after seeing some worry about it here.

I know you aren't responding to my post directly but to explain my worry in a few more words.

There are 3 players on this team that should be permanent starters. Even if you don't agree with that statement, there should be 3 players that get ~30+ minutes a night.

If Kidd wants to experiment with starting Holiday, trying him in the DFS role, I think it's fantastic. Do it at the expense of Bullock or Hardaway.

Green will likely be here the next 3+ years. Holiday, Bullock and Hardaway most definitely will not be.

If you're Kidd you're focus should be finding what works with Luka/Irving/Green. A 4 or 5 game stretch where Green isn't setting the world on fire doesn't warrant playing 16 minutes and inferior (temporary) players are leaping him in the rotation.

It is one game - but like you, I don't have much faith that Kidd has some master plan up his sleeve.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 62: LAL (28-32) @ DAL (32-29) | 2:30 CST tip - by Smitty - 02-27-2023, 01:07 PM