Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 103, Celtics 109
(12-19-2019, 01:01 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Is there a majority consensus on Brunson? Are people complaining about him?

Apart from the late-game meltdown, I thought there was a lot to like about JB's performance. I hate to cite those ESPN announcers for anything, but they talked quite a bit about how well he was doing. I thought he might have called his own number a little too often (4-13), but that is sort of a nitpick on a one-night basis. For most of the time he was on the court, he managed the game well, especially considering the circumstances. 

JB has been open about wanting to become a starting PG in the NBA. If that is his ambition, he is going to have to learn how to close, but he's a young guy, and I agree that it doesn't happen overnight.

I'm a big fan of Jalen Brunson, was from following his Villanova career and pleased to see Donnie and company identify him as a real value pick in the draft.  He's making them look really good in the scouting department along with a few of the other Maverick development brigade.  

That said, yeah, leaving him in to close against Boston, against Kemba, against a Brad Stevens defense, yeah that's really 'show me what you really got son' stuff right there.  
As I said that's probably why JJB can't get off the bench even when it looks clear that he might have been able to help the team close.  
So Jalen is getting really tested here against the top of the line talent and Boston I thought was very good defensively last night, making everyone work for their buckets. 

You could really see in the end the difference between say Jalen and THJ as clutch scorers vs say Kemba and Seth Curry, who showed some ability to put up numbers even against tight defense.
Carlisle must think that Jalen and THJ have a chance to 'get there'.  I include Hardaway Jr. because of the way Rick keeps using him and giving him the green light even when he's ice cold.

(12-19-2019, 01:32 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 01:15 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Would JJB have likely finished the game better in this case than Jalen and THJ?

I think JJB would have given you a better chance to win, for sure!

I think Rick wanted to win. I don't think leaving JB in, or using Delon instead of JJB was conceding the game. No one knows what's going to happen before it hapoens.

So Rick wanted to win, but wanted the young guys to do it rather than JJB. His choice had less of a probability of resulting in a win I think, but he made that choice for development sake.

My theory anyway

And I agree with your theory there.  I wish Carlisle might split it a little differently there, walk and chew gum, maybe give the vets a little opening to help, but its subjective. 

If the young guys grow from the experience, Carlisle will get even more credit for trusting them in the fire all the way.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 103, Celtics 109 - by Dahlsim - 12-19-2019, 01:35 PM