Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 103, Celtics 109
(12-19-2019, 12:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 11:49 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: I watch that game and it's beyond me how JJ Barea and Boban Marjanovic don't get a shot.  No shot, no time, no rotations.

JJ produces just about every time he's on the floor, makes clutch shots, plays and passes that guys like THJ and young Jalen B.  don't make consistently. 
Boban is a guy the Celtics have ZERO answer for on offense at this point while defensively its not like you're stopping Kemba and Tatum anyway, the Celtics are still scoring, so how about creating a mismatch the other way?

I'm sure you have strong reasoning for keeping these proven vets glued to the bench in what looks like very winnable games, but  ...
[Image: giphy.gif]

JJB doesn't have the role you want him to have. He's probably the 3rd best player on the team but it seems pretty clear that for this time of the year, for this team, the priority of player development is ranked above using JJB to win games. We've seen JJB come in to give the team a shot in the arm periodically, which also gets him some burn to keep the rust off, but my thought is that in Luka's absence the opportunity for some Brunson development (including learning to close games) trumps the JJB save shot.

Late in the season it may be different. In fact, who knows, but we might see JJB worked into the rotation leading in to the playoffs. Or maybe he remains a trump card even then. But at that point the JJB trump card would be played with less hesitance and might take priority over player development. 

For Boban, I've seen what you've written about him in the past, and it just looks like you and Rick aren't on the same page regarding how Boban should be used. Sorry pal.

The role I want him to have?  That's a misdirection 15th, the post is me expressing an opinion, in the form of questioning the strategy about this game and this situation.  Its not about me and not even about an overarching role I envision for JJB or for Boban.  You're taking the isolated point and stretching way beyond the scope of the post.  

I tend to agree actually that it looks like Coach is prioritizing development over veteran player time and for the most part I like that coach Carlisle is doing that.  I posted a similar idea about the last game when there was some discussion about the way the Bucks were allowed to come back at the end and make that game uncomfortable.  Others thought  as well the JJB could have kept the score more at arms length but as I said then, it looked like a teaching opportunity for Jalen and the younger new Mavs core.  I get it.

That said, in this case I think its worth questioning if JJB as well as Boban could have helped turn a close loss into a close win, while still continuing to develop the young guys.  
I didn't make any grand point about Boban here, you're pulling that in unnecessarily.  

In fact if you read what I last posted on the topic, I've said that the young guys like Powell and Maxi are playing so well alongside KP who is a given, that there really hasn't been minutes for Boban.
So yeah, keep up buddy!   Wink  

Coach Carlisle has the team playing far too well to get slammed here about his overall strategy so its misdirection to suggest that a specific critique is really much more than that.  I'd like to see you address the specific point more.
Would JJB have likely finished the game better in this case than Jalen and THJ?
This one is more dicey I'd say but did Boston really have someone to stop Boban inside when the Mavs could have used a few buckets to hold a lead or stop a run?

I do think its worth asking if a close 'L' could have been quite possibly turned into a 'W' by using a bit more of some guys that are getting paid on your roster and have some proven efficiency in their track record that your developing guys have not yet. 

Develop and get the 'W' too?  I like that.  Walk and chew gum.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 103, Celtics 109 - by Dahlsim - 12-19-2019, 01:15 PM