Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122
(12-16-2019, 04:10 PM)DrMav Wrote: shouldn't we want a ref to do anything they could do in that circumstance to make their stats look better?
We should want the ref to make the right call, regardless of anything else. If you add in the stats as 1 more thing to consider, it can add to the possibility of making the wrong call. If it's close enough to be a 50/50 call, say a 60/40 split, something like the ball gets tipped by the defender, but grazes the hand of the offensive player before going out of bounds, usually that call is made against the defender and it would be the offensive team's ball because the balls trajectory continued in the direction the defender was swiping. However, the ref knows the ball slightly shifted when it went past the offensive player's hand. The call then has some judgement in play and would basically be called a 50/50 call that usually gives the ball to the offensive team. 

Does that ref call it the way he thinks it is, or the way he knows the call is made most of the time? Does his stats come into play with that decision? It's a split second decision, so all this gets processed really fast. This is what was in play in the last game where Powell hit the ball out of Anunoby's hand after the botched FT rebound. The refs have the ability to review the play in that instance, if it was during the course of the game, however, do they review it? What if they call it out on Powell and later it's determined that it barely grazed Anunoby's hand last? 

That becomes a stat against that ref but it's pretty tough to judge that particular play. If it goes against him that time, what happens the next time and so on, and so on. I wonder if stats like that are already kept on refs currently just not published. If they were published, I wonder what affect it would have on the judgement calls the refs make. That is the slippery slope I was referring to.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122 - by ItsGoTime - 12-16-2019, 05:48 PM