Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122
(12-16-2019, 03:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I myself would love to see ref stats, but isn't that a slippery slope? We see players doing things to make their stats look better, wouldn't that be the case with refs as well? Also, I know every ref has their main area on the court that they are in charge of calling and can call anything on the court. Does a missed call go on the guy closest to the foul? The guy that has the clearest vision of the foul? All 3 refs? Does a correct call go to all 3 as well? Lots of things could skew what makes a good/bad ref, and those grey areas are what lots of people use to deflect and muddy the water.

Since the barometer would be whether a correct call is made though, shouldn't we want a ref to do anything they could do in that circumstance to make their stats look better? For example: if a certain ref is one that tends to get caught up in the emotion of the home crowd, routinely calling games that favor the home team and stats bring that to light so he/she works to correct it, isn't that for the best?

Like you said, each ref has a part of the court that they are primarily responsible for on any given play, and they rotate positioning in very strategic manners. We have all sorts of advanced stats and you could break it down by primary, secondary, and tertiary responsibility on each call/no-call with weights on performance adjusted accordingly. 

AFAIK, while a lot of the referees work together on a lot of games, they don't have set crews like in football where they do every game together, and perhaps more closely monitored "advanced stats" for refs could help in putting together crews that function better together. 

No matter what you do it would be a big ordeal, but professional sports are a big money business so I think the legitimacy of outcomes is worth it. Surely some smart minds could come together and come up with something that works better than some guy like me spitballing on the internet.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122 - by DrMav - 12-16-2019, 04:10 PM