Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122
(12-15-2019, 11:06 AM)duboh7 Wrote: Good stuff, ML.

For me, I think this is the gist of what we learned,  "I think this game is a good reality check, both with respect to positives and negatives. The team showed tremendous fight in a spectacular comeback, which they nearly pulled off without their best player. On the needs-improvement side, they clearly aren't where they need to be in terms of holding on to a lead in high-pressure, end-of-game situations...."

We came back from being down 20+ several days ago, but couldn't hold on for the win.  We just have to remember this is still a very young "team", that still has to learn what it takes to win under pressure at the close of games.  They'll eventually get there.  It takes time.

In terms of "nitty-gritty", I thought they sort of ran out of gas during the OT, and really slowed the pace, relative to the pace that got them back even (and even a small lead).  I thought, at the time, that JJ might have helped with that in OT,....but at least our young PG got that experience.  As you mentioned, I think Brunson made a couple of incorrect decisions, and he was walking the ball movement in OT.
Yeah, even though I have taken a largely positive view, I have to admit that those closing minutes in regulation and overtime were just brutal, especially after they had played so well and gotten a lead. Poor decisions, terrible shots, turnovers, dumb fouls, standing around, not moving the ball, it was endless. Aaaargh. Even at that, they had several opportunities to seal the game, and just couldn't take advantage. Agree that a more experienced PG might have made the difference. 

I'm not sure what the deal was on Barea (I assume you're speaking of him, not Justin Jackson). Rick made a point of saying that he gave the team "everything that he could." I had the impression that maybe he couldn't go physically any more, but it was left ambiguous. 

Agree that improvement is inevitably going to take time. I think we're going to have to adjust our expectations, in terms of how we evaluate the team over the coming weeks. As much as I have enjoyed watching the team, I have never really bought into the idea that this roster was ready for a championship coronation this season, or was a role player or two away. Maybe that's why I feel like I am a little less disappointed than some others -- my expectations weren't that lofty in the first place. But for people who were optimistic that this was going to be a title year, the Luka injury must be devastating. A reminder that we were always one Luka injury away from being in danger of toppling down the table. We'll see who, if anyone, can step up!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122 - by mavsluvr - 12-15-2019, 06:01 PM