Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 15: DEN (9-6) @ DAL (9-6) | 127-99 win
(11-19-2022, 05:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: McGee interview had some interesting parts that haven´t been mentioned. If what he is saying is true the coaches set him up for failure. Asking him to play higher up in the pick and roll. Hedge or even switch. Instead of the drop defense he has played in the last few years. If the Mavs wanted a guy that can do those things they shouldn´t have signed McGee.

Mav’s went on a 17-2 run when he came in.  Ironic thing is most of that run came with Luka, SD, RB and DFS (the other starters when he was starting).  He’s here, and probably for the long run.  So, we better hope they can find a productive role for him.  He’s had some nice spurts since he started coming off the bench.

Wood as a solo-big last night was +21.  He managed to almost completely avoid Jordan (who actually played decent) and did 100% of his +/- damage when Jordan was off the court.  This is what I mean when I say Wood is being ‘protected’.  It isn’t a swipe at him.  It is a way for him to find some success and build on it.  The minutes are starting to come.  Four games before the injury his minutes were 23, 23, 23, 21.  Four games since are 25, 24, 31, 26.  The closer he comes to playing 30+, the more of those minutes will come against starters.  The thing we (I) probably need to start watching is not just Wood solo-big minutes, but who they come against.  If he finds success there…fantastic (especially if it increasingly comes against starters).  If he doesn’t, or if they don’t try it, then Wood as a solo-big is a specialty lineup.  Nothing wrong with that if it works.

As I’ve said many times, Wood doesn’t have to be the solo-big to start.  The Maxi/Wood minutes are fantastic.  There is probably a 32 minute role where some comes with Maxi (or someone like Maxi) and some comes as a solo-big against subs. The goal isn’t to make Wood into something he’s not just because it fits a philosophy.  The goal is to find winning lineups when he’s on the court and when he isn’t and for those lineups to be viable against various types of opponents.

Man this team is fun to watch when they hit 40% of their 3’s.  More of that please.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 15: DEN (9-6) @ DAL (9-6) | 127-99 win - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-19-2022, 09:15 AM