Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122
Well, Poopie

I was feeling very disappointed and let down that the Mavs didn't manage to pull this one out. I think I actually felt worse that they lost a couple of leads late in regulation and overtime than I would have if they had never quite caught up. 

But. They say there are no moral victories. Nevertheless, at the risk of being accused of Pollyannism, I am declaring one. 

Big picture. There is no way that this game, aside from the Luka injury, should leave us without encouragement about what this team is. And while Spo will take the win, I'm willing to bet that he walked away with a lot of healthy fear of and respect for the Mavs. 

Game Story

One minute and forty seconds into the game, Luka fell over, clutching his ankle. A replay showed him turning his ankle after stepping on Kendrick Nunn's foot. He hopped into the locker room, and the oxygen was sucked out of the arena. A hush fell over the room. A little later, the crowd learned that he was questionable to return. Then, that he would not return. Backbreaking news. 

Meanwhile, the Mavs crumpled, looking all at sea, like they didn't know what to do. The Heat scored at will from all parts of the court, while the Mavs couldn't buy a bucket. By the end of the first quarter, the score stood at 37-23. A buzzer-beating three from half court by KP ended the period on at least a bit of a high note. 

In the second quarter, the Mavs' malaise got worse, not better. Dallas broke out Barea. Then the zone. The crowd tried to add some energy. But nothing went right. The Mavericks trailed 73-50 at halftime. I imagine some fans of little faith turned off their televisions or left the arena in disgust. 

Rick said that he didn't have to say much at the halftime interval. The guys realized that they were being outplayed and outworked, and they had to do better. 

The Heat made the first few points in the third, but then the Mavs started chipping away, tightening up their defense and picking up their offense. They whittled the deficit to 9, but then went cold. A late surge had them take an 81-91 disadvantage into the fourth. 

Dallas continued their great performance in the fourth, eliminating the deficit and even building a 4-point lead twice. A Brunson layup at 1:08 had the Mavs in front by 4 points. Unfortunately, they ended regulation with three missed shots and a turnover, while the Heat had a layup and two free throws to tie the game and force overtime. 

In overtime, the boys in blue had another 4-point lead at 3:04, which shrank to one by 1:55. The team had a series of miscues to end the game with four missed shots, three intentional fouls, one untimely unfortunate foul, a turnover, and failure to secure the rebound after Butler's two missed free throws. Game over. 

Analytics

Statistics-wise, this game more or less came down to a 34-17 FTA advantage for the Heat, and poor two-point shooting by the Mavs, who completed only 22 of their 46 attempts in the paint. Along with poor end-game performance. 

Players

Hardaway stepped up in Luka's absence, playing 42 minutes and serving as the team's leading scorer with 28 points on 11-22 shooting, including six threes. They ended up going away from him, as he played the entire overtime period but got only one shot attempt. Not sure what the deal was. After the game, Hardaway told the press that he didn't think they had any excuses for the loss. 

KP played 40 minutes, and did not shoot well (7-21), but otherwise acquitted himself pretty respectably, putting 22 points and 14 rebounds on the board. I am thinking that the shooting is going to come around for him. And he is already looking good in other respects. There were a couple of DFS-KP connections that were grown-men plays. I was wondering after Luka went out if they would try to go to KP to be the go-to guy, as he was in New York, but that didn't seem to be the plan. They did create a number of opportunities for him, but they just didn't work out very often. He is still relatively fresh off his ACL return, and I think it's just a matter of time, assuming he can stay healthy. 

DFS (37 minutes) had 6 rebounds, but mainly took primary defensive duty on Jimmy Butler. He helped hold Jimmy to 8-22 shooting, although Butler had 12 FTAs. Dorian eventually fouled out in overtime. 

Brunson (34 minutes) was appointed by Rick to take primary point guard duty in Luka's absence. In general, he performed well. He had 18 points on reasonably efficient 7-16 shooting, along with 7 rebounds and 8 assists. He also made some very good plays, and looked like a short Dirk posting up a bigger player and fading away for a bucket. Rick said that he thought Jalen had played very well, and that, in Rick's mind, Brunson was the only option to lead the team after Luka went down and they looked at results from the first half. 

Having said that, it seemed to me that Brunson made some poor choices in both clutch situations. I don't think Rick would disagree with that, but he clearly didn't want to criticize Jalen to the press. Fair enough. If nothing else, now we know more about where Brunson is, as a second-year point guard. A bench guy who is capable of stepping up, but who isn't experienced enough, at this stage of the game to manage end-of-game situations. He'll learn. And the Mavs hopefully are not going to be leaning on him for that duty very many times. 

Maxi (30 minutes) had a good scoring night, with 17 points (7-9), and was on the floor during the stretch in regulation and for the entire overtime period. Powell (27 minutes) did not appear to be an especially good match up here, and played reserve minutes as a result. Although Maxi scored well, I think he was in for defensive reasons, with Dwight not quite able to serve as a stopper. The bench was instrumental in this contest, scoring 55 points and having two guys (Brunson and Maxi) playing starter minutes. 

Barea jumped in for 13 minutes and did yeoman's work in getting the squad on track. Rick said JJB got the crowd going, got his teammates going, put the ball in the basket, made plays, and had some good defensive action. The Puerto Rican was at his best as an irritant, getting under the Heats' skin, and baiting their young point guard into a couple of offensive fouls and a general state of frustration. He had 12 points, 5 assists, and no turnovers. 

Delon Wright put in an appearance (8 minutes), his first after his adductor strain. He was subbed in for Luka, but was struggling, and Rick pulled him in the first quarter.  

Remarks

I think this game is a good reality check, both with respect to positives and negatives. The team showed tremendous fight in a spectacular comeback, which they nearly pulled off without their best player. On the needs-improvement side, they clearly aren't where they need to be in terms of holding on to a lead in high-pressure, end-of-game situations. Although that might be different with Luka on the floor. Most importantly, they have to learn not to fall apart when they get punched in the mouth. I say this not to criticize -- rather, to identify what they can do to improve. 

In terms of refereeing, the FTA differential has to be at least examined. I thought there were a few dubious calls, myself, and the game was close enough that the officiating might have made a difference. Nevertheless, I think the Mavs' undoing was Luka's injury and the rest of the team's waiting too long to get their act together in response. 

Although I was definitely disappointed with what could be viewed as a win choked away, I came away being more optimistic in the big picture than I was before the match. Tbqh, I wouldn't have thought they could be competitive with the Heat without Luka, especially after the disastrous first half. 

Next. The Bucks, in Milwaukee, on Monday. Rick predicts that Luka will be out with his sprained ankle, although they have not finished their medical evaluation yet. So, we'll probably see what the "others" can put together, with foreknowledge that they will be without their young star. Who knows, they just might do us proud!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Heat 122 - by mavsluvr - 12-15-2019, 01:57 AM