Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 3: DAL (1-2) @ NOP (3-1) | 111-113 loss
(10-25-2022, 01:15 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Some things I’m looking for tonight.

Dallas is ‘protecting’ Wood in terms of his minutes as a solo big and in terms of who he covers when he’s on with Maxi.  Obviously it is working.  The solo big minutes are very limited.  It has just been essentially a couple minutes here and there as Dallas brings subs in and out.  It is essentially the two minutes or so between when Wood comes in for McGee and Maxi enters and something similar on the back end (Maxi tends to leave first so he can re-enter to finish halves).  Maxi tends to take the more difficult cover giving Wood the opportunity to be a weak side helper (his better role).  The way NO uses Valanciunis, there is a chance he may be in during some of the stints where Wood is typically the solo big.  Does Dallas try to adjust or do they see what Wood looks like covering a larger big who has some offensive ability.  

Item number two also involves Wood.  He’s not going to continue to score a point a minute and I doubt he continues to put up 20 shots per 36.  His career average is 15.  What I care more about is efficiency.  He’s at .666 in TS% vs. his career average of .608.  Luka tends to lift TS% and Wood’s best year was .659 (his last year in Detroit with Sweeney).  I’d love to see something in the .630-.640 range hold once we get a few more games under our belts.

Next, who will sub in for SD when Wood comes in at the 6:00 mark for McGee.  Logic would say Josh as he’s been playing with the bench.  Then, you have to wonder who comes in about four minutes later (the point where Josh usually comes in).  Dorsey?  That is probably where I’d go (or course, if you want to replicate Hardaway’s aggressive inefficiency, there is another alternative).  It would be nice for Josh to actually get to touch a basketball tonight.  He plays largely with Wood and Hardaway who between them are jacking up a shot a minute.  That’s not to mention that one of Luka or Dinwiddie is also in the game (SD is actually getting up more shots per minute than Tim…it just feels like Tim is shooting more because so few go in).  Maxi’s attempts are down 33% vs. his career and Green has gone from over 8 attempts per 36 to 1.1.  Yep, he’s just too timid to play in the NBA.

The narrative around this kid has just gotten ridiculous.  The bench has three guys who all “want theirs” and can go for 20 on any given night.  The opportunities for Green have been very few.  Dallas is missing a real opportunity here as Josh has the highest EFG% in the history of the league at 112.5%.  (OK, I didn’t actually look up the history of the league, but you gotta love that kind of efficiency Smile ).  His lack of attempts and stellar D are working.  He has the highest On minus Off of the regulars (never mind that lying PER stat that says Luka and Wood are first team All NBA…it is a flawed stat).

Last thing.  Dallas has the highest net rating by a mile (not tongue in cheek here, Net Rating is actually a very good predictor of playoff success).  SRS (which takes into account strength of schedule) is also #1.  Obviously a 40 point win in a two game sample will help, but given some of the overreactions I see around here, I think I’m justified in saying Dallas is the best team in the league (until proven otherwise).

I think our top 8 or 9 is great. Everybody else is a fit and useful. We just are thin at playmaking guards. That's not good to withstand the grind.
But having competent bigs helps to keep DFS and Maxis minutes in check.

I like Greens cuts to the basket. They make the other teams defense move. He just hasn't figured out what to do then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mapka's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 3: DAL (1-1) @ NOP (2-1) | Oct 25, 6:30 pm | Mavs 0.0 pt & 5.5 pt (Vegas) favs - by Mapka - 10-25-2022, 01:37 PM