Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 106, Kings 110
(12-09-2019, 12:10 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 11:50 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Getting some of these opponents into foul trouble or getting into the bonus early on some cheap fouls is how you get them to stop doing this crap.  It goes completely against long standing stereotypes, but our Euro star needs to learn the dark arts of flopping from his American counterparts.    Luka certainly isn't afraid to complain to the refs after the fact, but he's light years away from guys like Harden and CP3 are at selling the foul.        I almost wonder if many Euros are so sensitive about the stereotypes they go too far the other way.
Not sure about this. Luka is one of the top foul drawers in the NBA. I'd really hate to see him start doing what JJB did when Barnes hit him and they reviewed the play for clear path foul on KP. In that play, if JJB hadn't tried so hard to sell the foul, there's a good chance he recovers the ball and the play goes on. I realize that he sold the foul the next possession down the court and got the foul on Barnes, the selling job isn't necessarily what got the ref to blow the whistle though. 

The one thing we all agree on is Luka needs to stop talking to the refs after the fact. Let RC do that, he just needs to play the game. He's got nerves of steel, except when he gets rattled by no-calls. Not sure how much RC does this before the game, but I do remember reports of coaches trying to warm refs up before the game about how the team is fouling their guys. Lots of more subtle ways to attempt to accomplish what is wanted. I think this report of RC showing reporters the fouls called on Luka is one of those attempts. I hope it is an attempt to calm Luka down during the game so he can focus more on (I said moron) his and the team's play.
Complaining about the refs, exaggerating contact, etc. are all avenues that can be pursued. 

But I think you have put your finger on what has to happen. Great as Luka is, he isn't perfect, and his Achilles' heel may be his tendency to let the refs discombobulate him. That's something that can backfire on you. We know Carlisle is working with him on it, even to the point of taking him out early recently for hanging back and arguing with the refs while his teammates ran to the defensive end of the court without him.

He just has to learn to play through it. If showing film to reporters makes him feel like the team has his back, cool beans. Luka talked about the issue to some extent last night, and it seems that he buys into the idea that he needs to calm down, but allows his powerful emotions to get away from him on occasion.  The first step to solving the problem is admitting that his own behavior is, indeed, a problem, so at least he has gotten that far. 

I feel for the guy, just as I used to feel for Dirk when the refs allowed opponents to rough him up. Carlisle said that sometimes Luka's arms are scratched and bleeding during a game.  Even big Shaq used to complain about it. A lot.  I sympathize, but still think Luka simply has to learn to control himself, as Shaq and Dirk did before him. 

Meanwhile, as you point out, Rick and Mark can work on longer-term improvement of the situation. It's never going away entirely, but there is certainly room for it to get better.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 106, Kings 110 - by mavsluvr - 12-09-2019, 02:32 PM