Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Knight signed to a second 10-day hardship contract
(03-31-2022, 10:12 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That’s getting to know new schemes, not changing things around.

Negative on that. This team played with a noticeably different approach on defense this season with Porzingis on the floor, both in a two-big combo and with him as a single big. There are differences in how they play with Powell/Kleber, too, but they are far more subtle and don't affect the others nearly as much. So, yes, they have effectively "changed things around" since that trade. Well, before it, really, since Porzingis was sitting out so often.

(03-31-2022, 10:12 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, depending on the quality of player they bring in, they might be able to add to what they’re currently doing.

For sure! It's just that what Powell can do on defense is much more rare than I feel he gets credit for. Kleber too, for that matter. Cappella, for example, might be an upgrade over either (not sure for how much longer) but even he can't play defense exactly like those two. Williams (before the injury) is a great comp, and his team's defense was one of the only ones in the league definitively better than Dallas. 

I just feel like:

A) there aren't very many guys who can play this way so effectively
B) most teams are trying to get them

And, maybe most importantly, I feel like fans believe that Powell was judged by the Mavs to be a situation worth living with for the rest of the season in order to get Dinwiddie. What I think is closer to the truth is that the Mavs believe Powell (and Kleber) are a strength of the current roster construction. 

Maybe the fans are right and they're wrong. Personally, I'm encouraged by what I think is a vision on which they're following through. This is two coaches in a row who seem to value Powell much more than Mavs fans. I never thought he'd look this good again after the injury, but here we are. I think teams will be calling the Mavs trying to get Powell this summer if he keeps this level of play up and stays healthy. I think he's one of the main reasons the team is performing so well.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Jommybone, ReunionMav, WillE
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon Knight signed to a second 10-day hardship contract - by KillerLeft - 03-31-2022, 10:24 AM