Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114
(11-27-2019, 07:55 AM)Hypermav Wrote: One other thing is how old tiny JJB can get what he wants and seems unaffected by the Clippers D.

Rick - He is a veteran of many wars; a very valiant man.

JJ - I am most certainly not a man, I am a hobbit.

(11-27-2019, 12:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Seems like we all agree that the roster overall is subpar. I'm not sure what the Mavs were thinking this past summer. Why dump Harrison for all of that cap room if they had no intention of adding good players in the event that Kemba didn't want to come here?

I wouldn't call the roster subpar. But they're defiantly not on the Clippers level.

In the summer they struck out on the better players that they targeted and then signed players who had room to grow at tradeable contracts. They struck out with better vets but still added assetts.

But also, I don't think last night was all about the rosters. An upstart team has to learn to play with the big boys, often by getting thumped.

I think the roster can be improved via trade and possibly free agency (with a superstar Luka) but this roster as is can still get better through experience (especially by getting thumped by the big boys).

(11-27-2019, 11:48 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Jommy's takes:

1. The refs. Luka will get his turn. But it will come slower and lesser than if he were playing for a spotlight franchise. KP has lost the NY luster as well as the best-player-on-the-team calls. So of course he’s struggling. Maxi and Doe-Doe are just starting to achieve some semblance of reffing respect. Dwight is among the most "disrespected" in the league—to the extent that he regularly gets smacked in the head with no call, a la Shawn Bradley. But hey, no surprise. This is pro-wrestling-style officiating. The rules must bend for entertainment value. 

2. KP seems to shoot 2s while twisting, turning and sliding, always with his feet pointed off center. The talk of late that the Mavs staff has helped THJ with his shooting footwork? Time to turn that attention to Kristaps. Earlier in the season my chief complaint was that he (and Powell) failed to close out on 3-point shooters. That seems to be fixed mostly. So I can be patient waiting for the footwork to likewise improve. 

3. Speaking of THJ, I don’t think his "woke" streak has ended. Only 8 FG attempts and zero turnovers in 29 minutes? I'll take it. This is a different Tim. Shooting numbers go up and down for everyone. But these 2 stats say a lot about Hardaway's changed play. I’m converted from hater to fan. For now at least. 

4. Jalen will adjust to whatever it is and overcome. It’s what he does. Like GEICO. 

5. Defense. To become a great team, we need Luka to start mugging people like Kawhi and PG do. He’s got the size and strength and ref respect to pull it off. Has to happen. Or else we'll be mediocre.

+77
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114 - by fifteenth - 11-27-2019, 12:57 PM