Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included
(11-02-2021, 10:03 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: One BIG problem I see now with the newer immigrants--legal and illegal (I still call them illegal aliens)--are that when they come to America they are not coming to be "American" citizens. They are bringing "their" country with them.  That's a big can of worms.  

Look, I grew up in the deep south at a time where the small town where we lived had front entrances for white and rear entrances for "colored". It took going off to college and moving to different parts of the US to un-learn some of the notions I soaked up as a kid. Other cultures were a strange unknown to me. First time I went to NYC I was scared spit-less.

Every group of immigrants brings their own culture with them, even going back to Pilgrims in (what is now) Massachusetts. I'm sure the Wampanoag had similar comments.

It takes a couple of generations to assimilate into whatever commonality is socially agreeable. My ex is from pure Italian heritage only here for 3 generations, but her parents only spoke a little Italian and she not at all. Most of my genealogy goes back to late 1600s to early 1700s for immigrants, but nobody would say that neither she nor I were any more American than the other.

I don't have any real issue with proving your identity when voting or registering to vote using an ID that signifies one as a US citizen. I don't support restrictions like the idea of having one site for absentee drop off for a county the size of Harris or Dallas. Or the limitations on early voting days and times. Or the new limitations on voting by mail. Never mind the gerrymandered congressional districts.

If a controlling group has to revert to such tactics, then this is admitting it is abdicating a leadership philosophy in favor of a survival philosophy. Depending on your state, you can find examples of both parties showing this behavior, but I happen to live in Texas by choice and only hope for sanity in Austin at some point. 
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included - by michaeltex - 11-02-2021, 11:10 AM