Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included
(10-29-2021, 02:32 PM)embellisher Wrote: Can somebody answer for me why people believe that black and brown voters have a hard time getting a government id?

It's not a matter of a government ID.  It's that they've narrowed the scope of what is considered a valid ID.  Texas doesn't allow for student ID's (including colleges), city identifications (library cards) or a host of other IDs that a person could easily obtain freely, within their local communities and that don't require a person to acquire it during M-F 9 to 5 hours.

What many people on this board may or may not know about me is that I have a spinal cord injury suffered at birth.  I have always said that the most frustrating aspect of my life aren't the physical limitations I have, but rather the arbitrary bullshit that people put in my way that make my life unnecessarily more difficult than it should be.

Now while I've lived a very active life (drive a car, owned a bar, coached AAU basketball, acted/performed standup), there are things I can't do such as fully reach touchpad voting machines.  For decades I've simply gone in with a friend or family member who touches what I want on the screen.  I simply pick any voting day I want, go in with someone, flash my ID, and vote.  Donezo.  (Ya know, easy like voting should be.)

Hoooooooowever, based on the bullshit voting laws that Texas state Republicans have spent the year trying to shoehorn in,  I would now have to go to the doctor to have them fill out paperwork justifying that I require assistance.  Then I have to designate who will help me vote and together we have to fill out paperwork, have it notarized and submit it at least 30 days before I want to vote.  So, tell me, all who roll their eyes at those who say laws are written to disproportionately limit minorities, tell me that I'm not disenfranchised by this nonsense??  Worst of all, it isn't being proposed because there's ANY EVIDENCE of mass election fraud, but rather because Republicans believe the only way to hold power is to rig the game.  I mean, this is Tim Donaghy bad.

And is it wrong that a minority like me complains about this?  Does it just totally kill your buzz that an organization might leverage any power it has or use whatever ability to generate awareness of this miscarriage even it means that even the mid-level free agent of your dreams goes elsewhere?  Well, if it makes you feel better, Kemba and Kyle and Kawai weren't that into your state anyway.
[-] The following 7 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • AgGiE1991, Arioch, fifteenth, hakeemfaan, Jommybone, michaeltex, Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included - by RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 10-29-2021, 03:48 PM