Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Prediction: We will Start a Traditional Center
(08-29-2021, 04:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: This has been 100% my biggest issue with RC coaching KP. Force him to do pick and roll and develop that with Luka! But I have wondered if KP refuses to roll? Or if they didn't want that because of injury risk? 

Luka NEEDS a pick and roll partner (see my title) desperately. I THOUGHT KP would be an awesome one, but we have barely seen that in the last couple years. WHY?

I’m with you.  I totally reject the idea that the offense can’t work with a non-shooter (Powell or WCS) in the lineup.  In fact, the data says just the opposite.  Some of our best offensive lineups the last two seasons with KP have also included a rim rolling center.  Also, there are other things to be run besides KP in the corner and Powell or Willie setting screens.  Almost every team in the league deals with at least one non-shooting big in the lineup.

I think the DFS vs. THJ vs. Bullock take was the most interesting one.  Do you try to set a defensive tone with DFS and Bullock playing at the same time?  If you follow what has happened in LA and Milwaukee and also start Powell or WCS, then THJ is pushed to “the Terry role”.  In the playoffs and in end-of-game situations, when things tighten up in the lane, maybe you finish with KP and the three wings with Luka or KP/Maxi and two of the wings with Luka.  I found it interesting how consistently Kidd played Snell as a starter over multiple seasons.  Not sure who is out Snell, Bullock or DFS or both.  But there is a role for one or both to be very consistently in the starting lineup.

Maxi, Bullock, THJ, DFS, Powell, KP and Luka have all started 80% of the games they played in one of the last two seasons.  That is seven potential starters…three bigs, three wings and Luka for Kidd to mix and match.  The least positionally flexible of the bunch is Powell (and WCS).  One might say…wasn’t that true last year too?  Yes, but what we found out over time is they were trying to hide JRich.  I don’t think that will be the case with 40% shooting and take the other team’s best 1-3 guy Bullock on the squad.  If you buy the idea that LAL while Kidd was there and Milwaukee while Kidd was in charge almost always played two bigs, then almost anything can happen amongst Maxi, DFS, THJ and Bullock.  If you don’t buy that one of Powell or Willie will start, then the roster doesn’t make much sense.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prediction: We will Start a Traditional Center - by DanSchwartzgan - 08-30-2021, 06:57 AM