Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If We Are Done, Are We Finished?
(08-14-2021, 03:03 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Yes, his playing time shrunk and so his numbers were proportionately smaller.

I'm largely on your side of this issue longterm (though not totally decided yet) but I think the statement above is backwards. 

He was not used only as Luka's backup last season. We started the season with a thread titled something like "Can Brunson play with Luka?" and over the course of the season this question became more and more ridiculous. He basically became that 6th man (extra starter) everyone is trying to turn Hardaway into, at one point even being on the short list of candidates for the 6moty award. He played with Luka plenty, and effectively. He finished quite a few games, actually. 

Then, against the Clippers, he was simply not the same player. Their length seemed like it was a problem for him, imo, but he was definitely not as effective as his strong season had all of us hoping he would be. However, I don't subscribe to the "well, that's that" takes about it. I think it's possible that he learns how to solve those situations as he gains experience in them, but it's also possible that he does not. 

If the Mavericks see him as only Luka's backup, only able to play when he sits, then they should absolutely pass on extending Brunson at a high number and trade him to a team with more need for him before he walks for nothing (I doubt Brunson extends here without a clear path to maintain huge minutes, anyway).  I don't think they see him as only a low-minute backup at all, but I bet we'll get clarity on that soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by sefant - 08-14-2021, 02:15 AM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by sefant - 08-14-2021, 08:18 AM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by Mapka - 08-14-2021, 08:35 AM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by omahen - 08-14-2021, 09:03 AM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by Mapka - 08-14-2021, 09:25 AM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by omahen - 08-14-2021, 10:26 AM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by sefant - 08-14-2021, 02:56 PM
RE: If We Are Done, Are We Finished? - by KillerLeft - 08-14-2021, 03:14 PM