Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAKE DAT WIT YOU Offseason Update 8/10
(08-11-2021, 11:04 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Personally, I think they are still in need of a talent infusion, even if they do shore up the chemistry. My impression is that you would like to see more talent, but maybe don't think that's Priority One. My main disappointment is that, although they made a few moves on the edges, they have seemingly not addressed the most glaring needs at all. But, the season is long, and maybe they'll get there. 

Wrt chemistry, if Luka thinks it needs improvement, then that requires responding in and of itself. Kidd seems to be the most major change in terms of addressing the locker room. We don't know yet how that is going to shake out, but there is certainly the possibility (probability?) that the court/locker room are different places, once Kidd infuses them with his personality. At the press conference, he said he sees his job, primarily, as player development of Luka. But that was Luka's press conference, and a Luka-centric response was probably indicated there. 

Various chemistry issues can be addressed different ways -- team-bonding activities, cracking down on people not pulling their weight/takng advantage, lightening up in certain other circumstances, eliminating guys with a toxic attitude, etc. I think it is too soon to know whether any measure they have taken have substantially improved the atmosphere, but at least they have taken some action that has a chance to address it in a material way.

I think most fans probably think the Mavs need more of a talent infusion than I do (of course I always "want" more talent, just do not think it is priority one). You are spot on that I think "priority one" for this offseason was fixing the chemistry issues that I believed were there.

It will be very interesting if Kidd is indeed the right guy for this job. He might have one thing going for him above all else, he is not RC. Again, don't misunderstand me as "scapegoating" RC, it is just that from Luka and KP's perspectives "anyone else" might be an improvement. I am incredibly interested to see the vibes that come out of training camp this year.

P.S. There is always the possibility of the "honeymoon" where everyone is happy because change has happened....and then reality eventually sets in that maybe Kidd isn't any better of a fit and he also clashes with Luka. I am hopeful that is not the case, because I am not aware of Luka having a "history" of clashing with coaches.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TAKE DAT WIT YOU Offseason Update 8/10 - by Kammrath - 08-11-2021, 11:13 AM