Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAKE DAT WIT YOU Offseason Update 8/10
(08-11-2021, 09:57 AM)Kammrath Wrote: My opinion on the Mavs chemistry last year...

I think the Mavs were missing chemistry in all three of the important areas: 1) On-the-court, 2) in the lockerroom, and 3) off-the-court (everyday life). I think the first two are the most important. Because of the clear lack of chemistry in all areas (and I believe chemistry starts at the "top"), I stated repeatedly last year that the triangle of Luka-KP-RC must be broken up in the offseason. I assumed it would be KP to go, but RC volunteered. I do not think RC was "the problem" (and do not think he should be a "scapegoat") but I think he was an incredibly poor fit with Luka and KP from a chemistry standpoint. I still question if that is enough of a change. Is removing RC from the dynamic enough to fix the lack of chemistry with Luka and KP? My gut says it is a HUGE improvement but not enough to get where we want the Mavs to be....but the Mavs would know more than me and maybe they do think it is enough (or they need to bide their time to find the right deal for KP).
Thanks for the thoughts. 

I am sure you see where I am going with all these questions I am peppering you with. Different types of problems would lead to different types of solutions, and I am wondering to what extent the Mavs are on top of that. 

Personally, I think they are still in need of a talent infusion, even if they do shore up the chemistry. My impression is that you would like to see more talent, but maybe don't think that's Priority One. My main disappointment is that, although they made a few moves on the edges, they have seemingly not addressed the most glaring needs at all. But, the season is long, and maybe they'll get there. 

Wrt chemistry, if Luka thinks it needs improvement, then that requires responding in and of itself. Kidd seems to be the most major change in terms of addressing the locker room. We don't know yet know how that is going to shake out, but there is certainly the possibility (probability?) that the court/locker room are different places, once Kidd infuses them with his personality. At the press conference, he said he sees his job, primarily, as player development of Luka. But that was Luka's press conference, and a Luka-centric response was probably indicated there. 

Various chemistry issues can be addressed different ways -- team-bonding activities, cracking down on people not pulling their weight/takng advantage, lightening up in certain other circumstances, eliminating guys with a toxic attitude, etc. I think it is too soon to know whether any measure they have taken have substantially improved the atmosphere, but at least they have taken some action that has a chance to address it in a material way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TAKE DAT WIT YOU Offseason Update 8/10 - by mavsluvr - 08-11-2021, 11:04 AM