Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minnesota/Denver, Game 5 Thread
(05-17-2024, 12:36 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This is fine, but you and others who keep saying things like this surely realize that, at this point, the Mavs cannot lose the series, except in the case of it involving a major injury, without it constituting a substantial and dynamic choke job?

Of course. That's my whole point. I've been around long enough to have seen strange things happen in the playoffs. Dallas needs to get it done at home, no excuses.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • fifteenth, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 12:36 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This is fine, but you and others who keep saying things like this surely realize that, at this point, the Mavs cannot lose the series, except in the case of it involving a major injury, without it constituting a substantial and dynamic choke job?

Labels, labels.

It would be a loss, after a close, hard-fought series.

Lots of teams have done the same. Not anything outside the bell curve.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply

^ You do you realize that this is a very real possibility.... right...?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

.jpg   meme.JPG (Size: 26.29 KB / Downloads: 139)
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
LOL. I didn't notice it said "eat" instead of "say" until after I posted it. SMH.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 08:43 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Labels, labels.

It would be a loss, after a close, hard-fought series.

Lots of teams have done the same. Not anything outside the bell curve.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about this, and in the vast majority of cases, while criticisms may be made about the losing teams' readiness and execution when things matter the most, history usually views the winner of a series as having proved themselves the better team, period. So I essentially retract my comment, for now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 09:55 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Yeah, I was actually thinking about this, and in the vast majority of cases, while criticisms may be made about the losing teams' readiness and execution when things matter the most, history usually views the winner of a series as having proved themselves the better team, period. So I essentially retract my comment, for now.

No worries. If they lose two games, we'll all join you with pitchforks the night of, and then after we get some sleep, the next day we can reflect on how the team has taken massive steps forward this season and possibly set themselves up for good things next season. 

Or it might take carrying pitchforks around for a few days and getting a few good nights worth of sleep.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, HoosierDaddyKidd, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://x.com/NBAMemes/status/1791318721707020759

Game seven is going to be fun.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 12:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://x.com/NBAMemes/status/1791318721707020759

Game seven is going to be fun.

They always are!  I would favor Denver at home, but it's not like Minny can't win there either.
Like Reply
https://x.com/mcten/status/1791357031317754107

In the previous 13 times it's happened, the team that went up 2-0 and forced a game 7, went 10-3
Like Reply
https://x.com/KendrickPerkins/status/179...1880976389

Ant and Jordan meme
Like Reply
https://x.com/MikeAScotto/status/1791315675656405310

Man, I love this kid!
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 04:09 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://x.com/mcten/status/1791357031317754107

In the previous 13 times it's happened, the team that went up 2-0 and forced a game 7, went 10-3

About to be 10-4, I suspect. 

Can't wait to watch this one!!!!
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 05:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: About to be 10-4, I suspect. 

Would be so much more enjoyable to watch with the Mavs already winning the night before!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 06:06 PM)Smitty Wrote: Would be so much more enjoyable to watch with the Mavs already winning the night before!

Yes! Hopefully, the Mavs can get themselves on the long end of the stick with rest this time around.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 05:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: About to be 10-4, I suspect. 

You never know. Denver could get bounced. It's why they play the games.
Like Reply
I am the biggest Denver fan right now. Don't want any part of Naz Reid, Jaden McDaniels, and NAW
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 06:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I am the biggest Denver fan right now. Don't want any part of Naz Reid, Jaden McDaniels, and NAW

Don't think either option is better/worse but maybe todays game changes that. I think the T'Wolves are easier to defend for the Mavs. They don't have to change the defense  and can play off Gobert. But the T'Wolves defense is going to be a nightmare for Luka and Kyrie. Bigger and more physical than any other team. And with Maxi's injury the Mavs don't have a stretch five.
Nuggets defense isn't as good. Mavs can target/hunt multiple matchups. But I am scared of their offense. All of them can shoot. All of them can put the ball on the floor. Looking back at the last regular season matchup the Mavs could try the same stuff that "worked" for the Lakers and T'Wolves (and the Mavs in the regular season). Put a big forward on Jokic and have the center in help position. But without Maxi the only option for that role is PJ.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 06:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don't think either option is better/worse but maybe todays game changes that. I think the T'Wolves are easier to defend for the Mavs. They don't have to change the defense  and can play off Gobert. But the T'Wolves defense is going to be a nightmare for Luka and Kyrie. Bigger and more physical than any other team. And with Maxi's injury the Mavs don't have a stretch five.
Nuggets defense isn't as good. Mavs can target/hunt multiple matchups. But I am scared of their offense. All of them can shoot. All of them can put the ball on the floor. Looking back at the last regular season matchup the Mavs could try the same stuff that "worked" for the Lakers and T'Wolves (and the Mavs in the regular season). Put a big forward on Jokic and have the center in help position. But without Maxi the only option for that role is PJ.

Whoever wins, PJ and DJJ are going to have their hands full. If it's Denver, MPJ and Gordon are tough matchups, though I suspect DJJ will see a lot of time on Murray or MPJ.  PJ I don't know who he'll guard, maybe MPJ or Gordon both are 6'10. Minny presents other problems. Gobert doesn't play drop coverage as much now. He can guard out in space a little now. Kat is 7'0, too big for PJ or DJJ. Naz Reid, then you've got probably their best defender in McDaniels whom I'm sure will see time on Luka and Kyrie. There's interesting matchups on both teams. Can't wait.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 07:10 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Whoever wins, PJ and DJJ are going to have their hands full. If it's Denver, MPJ and Gordon are tough matchups, though I suspect DJJ will see a lot of time on Murray or MPJ.  PJ I don't know who he'll guard, maybe MPJ or Gordon both are 6'10. Minny presents other problems. Gobert doesn't play drop coverage as much now. He can guard out in space a little now. Kat is 7'0, too big for PJ or DJJ. Naz Reid, then you've got probably their best defender in McDaniels whom I'm sure will see time on Luka and Kyrie. There's interesting matchups on both teams. Can't wait.

Last time they played the Nuggets they put the center on Gordon and had Kleber/PJ on Jokic. I think that is the smartest approach. Mavs bigs don't have the lower body strength to bang with Jokic and you don't lose their help defense. Gordon getting the Westbrook/Giddey treatment.
T'Wolves is more difficult. No Maxi to space the floor and pull Gobert out of the paint. I think PJ guards KAT/Reid. Both prefer to drive or shoot from the perimeter.
Like Reply