Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Minnesota Timberwolves (0-0)
(05-22-2024, 11:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would get out of drop as fast as I could to prevent those lobs (which shouldn't be happening against Minnesota) and force Luka to give the ball to Gafford and/or Lively on the short roll, just like OKC did all series, to great effect. Neither is very good in that situation (Lively is much better, but still not stellar) and while they will run the risk of giving up some open corner 3's (which they clearly didn't want to do tonight), I think that's a poison I'd pick (both the short roll decision makers and then the corner shooters) over letting Luka cook against drop. His midrange game has been the only consistently passable tool in his belt this post season as a scorer, and we all know his chemistry with both bigs is through the roof. Even Kyrie was eating in the midrange tonight. The drop completely negates the size disadvantage he has in this series, and was probably the biggest reason for his great first half. 

But, that's me. I hate drop coverage. And, that's just kind of how Minnesota plays. So, I'm hopeful they'll be stubborn about it.

It's funny because most ballhandlers really struggle with a guy on their back and a big body in the paint that prevents lobs/dunks. Just bad luck for the Wolves because they ran into the one guy that loves it. With McDaniels on his back and Gobert in front of him he just has to go through the reads. What is Gobert doing? What is the weak side defender doing? Is McDaniels trying to get back in the play?
[-] The following 6 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Great start of the series. I had a feeling Mavs had a lot more reserve than Minny. McDaniels was surprisingly not troubling Luka nearly as much as Mann or Dort. Luka looked like he is saving energy on defense, especially on the rebounds. Throughout the game it felt like Mavs are taking this as a feel out game, but their defense on Minny stars was awesome and they overcame hot shooting of their role players and bad shooting of our own. Kyrie was awesome in the first half and Luka took over in the fourth. PJ and DJJ provided excellent defense again and were ok offensively. Green was bad, looked really indecisive, almost scared. He is not a rookie anymore, he is in his year 4. Should play better. Only 14 bench points (9 of them Lively) to 26 from Minny. Only Hardy was aggresive offensively and he had a good game.

The table is set, all I wanted was one road win out of first two games. Mavs in 6.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, nicholasthefan
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcrJP3ax-GE
Kyrie irving joins Inside the NBA after Game 1, FULL Interview
[-] The following 1 user Likes myconsumerclub's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv388CsQ7Mw
INSANE FINAL 5 MINUTES of Dallas Mavericks vs Minnesota Timberwolves Game 1
[-] The following 1 user Likes myconsumerclub's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Jason's look at the Dallas win - Hoops Tonight. Great analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-k7bYceXuU
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Kenny Smith imho made a good point on the show. Minny could be emotionally drained after game 7 and might look very different next game. I don't remember much of Minny this season, watched only Mavs games. Everyone is saying Ant is a great defender, but this has not been the case this game. He played "regular season Luka defense" and always seemed to be a step late or out of position. We will probably see a much different version of Minny in game 2, much more aggresive and it will be interesting to see how Mavs respond.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 06:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Kenny Smith imho made a good point on the show. Minny could be emotionally drained after game 7 and might look very different next game. I don't remember much of Minny this season, watched only Mavs games. Everyone is saying Ant is a great defender, but this has not been the case this game. He played "regular season Luka defense" and always seemed to be a step late or out of position. We will probably see a much different version of Minny in game 2, much more aggresive and it will be interesting to see how Mavs respond.

Kyrie isn't Jamal Murray. Nothing really to say other than that. I think Minnesota made too many excuses so I'm not really interested in the "why" they didn't play their best. I will say a 22 year old Ant has no business being tired in the 3rd quarter of the WCF's. I thought Ant was really immature in his post game interview. I look forward to Kyrie busting his ass this series or until they give up on that matchup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • nicholasthefan
Like Reply
As someone who makes up trades every day usually………. Do.Not.Touch. ……we have some unbelievable chemistry. We do not lack anything needed to win a championship. Hold the line
[-] The following 5 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 06:50 AM)omahen Wrote: Kenny Smith imho made a good point on the show. Minny could be emotionally drained after game 7 and might look very different next game. I don't remember much of Minny this season, watched only Mavs games. Everyone is saying Ant is a great defender, but this has not been the case this game. He played "regular season Luka defense" and always seemed to be a step late or out of position. We will probably see a much different version of Minny in game 2, much more aggresive and it will be interesting to see how Mavs respond.

Could be, I guess. 

But game 1 came 3 days after that game 7 win. Game 2 comes just 2 days after that game 1 loss. So it could be that what we see is considerably worse.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 11:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I would get out of drop as fast as I could to prevent those lobs (which shouldn't be happening against Minnesota) and force Luka to give the ball to Gafford and/or Lively on the short roll, just like OKC did all series, to great effect. Neither is very good in that situation (Lively is much better, but still not stellar) and while they will run the risk of giving up some open corner 3's (which they clearly didn't want to do tonight), I think that's a poison I'd pick (both the short roll decision makers and then the corner shooters) over letting Luka cook against drop. His midrange game has been the only consistently passable tool in his belt this post season as a scorer, and we all know his chemistry with both bigs is through the roof. Even Kyrie was eating in the midrange tonight. The drop completely negates the size disadvantage he has in this series, and was probably the biggest reason for his great first half. 

But, that's me. I hate drop coverage. And, that's just kind of how Minnesota plays. So, I'm hopeful they'll be stubborn about it.

In the postgame interview with Kyrie, they specifically asked him whether he thought Minnesota would change to a blitzing defense, since their drop coverage wasn’t working very well. Kyrie got a funny look on his face and said that that’s the defense that they play.

The implication is that they don’t really have many defensive tools in their bag other than drop.
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 10:05 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: In the postgame interview with Kyrie, they specifically asked him whether he thought Minnesota would change to a blitzing defense, since their drop coverage wasn’t working very well. Kyrie got a funny look on his face and said that that’s the defense that they play.

The implication is that they don’t really have many defensive tools in their bag other than drop.

Not at all how I took it. I thought he was saying we’re hoping to force them into more blitzing because that’s even easier to attack.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • nicholasthefan
Like Reply
https://x.com/NBAOfficial/status/1793678297387147363

Call favored the Mavs but I think it is time to adopt FIBA rules. The way they are calling it right now most alley-oop plays are offensive basketball interference as well and no ref is ever going to make that call.
On the other hand. Great to see that at least in some areas referee decisions are improving. Only took 10s to get the result. No need for endless replays. Would love to see something similar for out of bounds situations or backcourt violations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 01:23 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://x.com/NBAOfficial/status/1793678297387147363

Call favored the Mavs but I think it is time to adopt FIBA rules. The way they are calling it right now most alley-oop plays are offensive basketball interference as well and no ref is ever going to make that call.
On the other hand. Great to see that at least in some areas referee decisions are improving. Only took 10s to get the result. No need for endless replays. Would love to see something similar for out of bounds situations or backcourt violations.

1. If you adopt the FIBA rules, that also means defenders swatting away balls above the rim is allowed.
  2. FIBA also doesn't have the 3-second illegal defense rule.
  3. NBA players are substantially more athletic than European players, as a whole.

If you adopt the FIBA rule, you're gonna end up with a truly absurd number of blocks, especially if you nuke the 3-second rule. OTOH if you keep the 3-second rule, there will still be a ton of blocks, but also an absurd number of putback dunks.

You're also basically asking for a ton of injuries to happen because players will just be immediately crash the hoop on every shot attempt trying to block/dunk it.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 02:44 AM)Branduil Wrote:
  1. If you adopt the FIBA rules, that also means defenders swatting away balls above the rim is allowed.
  2. FIBA also doesn't have the 3-second illegal defense rule.
  3. NBA players are substantially more athletic than European players, as a whole.

If you adopt the FIBA rule, you're gonna end up with a truly absurd number of blocks, especially if you nuke the 3-second rule. OTOH if you keep the 3-second rule, there will still be a ton of blocks, but also an absurd number of putback dunks.

You're also basically asking for a ton of injuries to happen because players will just be immediately crash the hoop on every shot attempt trying to block/dunk it.

As long as goaltending isn't allowed it wouldn't impact shot blocking and I don't think defenders being allowed to make plays above the rim is a problem. I think the 3s rule is obsolete as well. They introduced most of this stuff to help the offense in a low scoring era but it seems like Silver and co realized that they have to undo some of the rule changes to balance things out. Offensive skill (especially shooting) is on a different level compared to past eras and fans complained about the lack of defense.

Just looking at US performances in FIBA settings I don't think it would change all that much when it comes to the number of blocks or putbacks. What is going to be reduced is the amount of highlight plays around the rim. More midrange. More post ups. The NBA is more athletic but that's just as much about the rules as it is about the talent gap compared to other leagues.

Personally I really enjoyed the midseason changes and would love to see them build upon it. More physicality and better defense aren't hurting the product.
Like Reply