Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Gaffs
Gafford has really struggled in the POs until last night. Here’s a decent smoking cuban piece on that: https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...mberwolves

To me, looks like the Mavs’ strategy is similar to Rocky’s—wear out the opponent with your chin. And Gaff has been that chin. Absorbing blow after blow but running the court anyway at full speed and forcing defenders to chase. In fact, I’d say Gaff’s getting punished in first halves has a lot to do with the team’s ability to punish opponents in Q4. And I’m thrilled he finally had a marquis performance to add to the grunt work he’s been delivering with a lunch pail, game in, game out. 

Especially glad that this performance came immediately after the game in which Luka was getting on his ass. Great sign. 

Starting to feel bad for 400 year old Al Horford and what’s in store for his legs next round. How long will he be able to sprint back every possession on D?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 8 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, Chicagojk, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 11:01 AM)The Jom Wrote: Gafford has really struggled in the POs until last night. Here’s a decent smoking cuban piece on that: https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...mberwolves

To me, looks like the Mavs’ strategy is similar to Rocky’s—wear out the opponent with your chin. And Gaff has been that chin. Absorbing blow after blow but running the court anyway at full speed and forcing defenders to chase. In fact, I’d say Gaff’s getting punished in first halves has a lot to do with the team’s ability to punish opponents in Q4. And I’m thrilled he finally had a marquis performance to add to the grunt work he’s been delivering with a lunch pail, game in, game out. 

Especially glad that this performance came immediately after the game in which Luka was getting on his ass. Great sign. 

Starting to feel bad for 400 year old Al Horford and what’s in store for his legs next round. How long will he be able to sprint back every possession on D?

Mavs have to get to the next round first. 2 more games.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I actually thought his Game 1 was good, too, but yes, Gafford in Game 2 was a different maker. Great, great stuff from him!
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 11:01 AM)The Jom Wrote: To me, looks like the Mavs’ strategy is similar to Rocky’s—wear out the opponent with your chin. And Gaff has been that chin. Absorbing blow after blow but running the court anyway at full speed and forcing defenders to chase. In fact, I’d say Gaff’s getting punished in first halves has a lot to do with the team’s ability to punish opponents in Q4. And I’m thrilled he finally had a marquis performance to add to the grunt work he’s been delivering with a lunch pail, game in, game out. 

I think there's something to the idea that Gafford's physicality early in games "loosens up" the defense. That's a pretty interesting thought. It certainly comes with the benefit of holding Lively back to protect against the early emotion of these big games, when no one is quite sure how the game is going to be officiated and both teams are trying to walk the line between discovering what they can get away with that night and being the more physical competitors right away. 

I didn't expect Gafford to look as bad as he did against Zubac in round 1. I thought going in that he was one of the better Gafford matchups they were likely to face, so his struggles in that round freaked me out a little. Everyone knew he'd be out of place against OKC, and he was, but he did ok, depending on your perspective on what that means. 

But coming into this series, I underestimated him, and I really think that's because of how he looked against LAC. I honestly didn't think he'd be able to compete with Gobert in the paint, either scoring or on the glass, and boy have I been wrong about that, so far. I am in awe that the Mavs are winning the glass against Minnesota. 

I agree that Horford (or even Porzingis, for that matter) aren't ready for what's coming for them in the paint and on the glass (if the Mavs close the Wolves out). The issue there becomes whether or not the Celtics can spread out and make Gafford (and even Lively) move their feet more than they have any business doing. OKC almost figured that out, but couldn't use it to great enough effect. Boston has much more experience, however, and the ball MOVES in Boston, except for the occasional Jaylen Brown stickiness. It would be a fascinating series.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Smitty
Like Reply
Can’t disagree. I’ve been batting around in my head how I’d rank our 3 playoff opponents now contrasted with what I thought going into the series. Hafta say my gut says the Clips have been our toughest out. But for the Kawhi injury, who knows.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 02:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It certainly comes with the benefit of holding Lively back to protect against the early emotion of these big games, when no one is quite sure how the game is going to be officiated and both teams are trying to walk the line between discovering what they can get away with that night and being the more physical competitors right away.

That is almost exactly what i discussed with my son today. I really think it helps Lively that Gafford starts, takes and delivers the first punches, feels out the refs' line and collects the first fouls. Lively can watch from the sideline and prepare himself, knowing he will come in after around 4 mins of gametime. Great way to protect the rookie from a bumpy start to the game.

Also like center rotation with the alternating shorter stints. They usually play around 4 mins before getting a breather. Keeps them fresh and and does add constant variation for the opponent to adapt to. Both our centers know their role exactly and do not need any time to adjust coming into the game.

Let me add that although he looks bad sometimes, esp in +/-, i generally really like Gafford's contribution to the team in these playoffs.
[-] The following 7 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • Chicagojk, F Gump, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 11:01 AM)The Jom Wrote: Gafford has really struggled in the POs until last night. Here’s a decent smoking cuban piece on that: https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...mberwolves

Great point.  I personally feel down the hot stretch in the regular season there were way too many people trying to default to 5 out basketball.   Heck, I love long, skilled players and I do think there are matchups that this could be our best lineup.   It should be a piece in our toolbelt.  But I think too many discounted the benefits of playing big because that is how most analytics and teams are moving away from.  

None of the Mavs big man are Shaq, but I think his example can be used a tad.   Shaq was so big and the thought process is you would give up good shots due to some of his limitations but his size and force would wear on teams as a series goes on.  Those shots become harder to make while Shaq's shots are still at the rim. We have seen the Mavs get stronger so far as the series goes on.   I think their calculus is our bigs are going to control the paint on offense and defense and Luka and Kyrie are better scoring their your stars.   While we may give up some good looks from the perimeter we are betting as the series goes on we are going to get easier shots while protecting the rim of defense and limiting easy looks and then Luka and Kyrie will be better than your stars late.
Like Reply
(05-25-2024, 12:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I actually thought his Game 1 was good, too, but yes, Gafford in Game 2 was a different maker. Great, great stuff from him!

That is high praise, coming from a Gafford-hater such as yourself. Heh. Tongue
Like Reply