Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 3 Playoffs 2024: Oklahoma City Thunder (1-1) vs. Dallas Mavericks (1-1)
Hack-a-Lively is just an incredibly dumb strategy in a game where the Mavs were far from shooting the lights out
Like Reply
(05-11-2024, 09:37 PM)Branduil Wrote: Hack-a-Lively is just an incredibly dumb strategy in a game where the Mavs were far from shooting the lights out

True,along with the early challenges, Mark D has made some questionable decisions for being the COY.
Like Reply
I feel like a lot of improvement is possible in the Mavs center play - they are missing a lot of shots close range, some of them dunks! Lively is not there yet in terms of his finishing/touch around the rim, a lot of improvement can be had in this area. His defense is keeping him in the game, the ability to defend in space is his main advantage over Gafford.

If Gafford was there late he would have been hacked as well - those 2 missed free throws could have been big. His free throw shooting was solid in the regular season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(05-11-2024, 05:38 PM)The Jom Wrote: Lively is going to turn into a guy Chet can’t guard. And not vice versa.

I would love to pair Chet with Luka. He's brilliant player and has a really good mindset too.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 03:01 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: I would love to pair Chet with Luka. He's brilliant player and has a really good mindset too.

I would love if Lively picks up some of the timing of the blocks by Chet. He isn’t that much longer and doesn’t jump out of the gym but has a great feeling where the ball is.
Like Reply
(05-11-2024, 09:37 PM)Branduil Wrote: Hack-a-Lively is just an incredibly dumb strategy in a game where the Mavs were far from shooting the lights out

I’m not defending it. But I think it’s understandable. Dort had 5 fouls. Team had 4 fouls. Officiating tide had turned and the Mavs were gonna get some FTs. Why not make it Lively instead of Luka or, much worse, Kyrie shooting em? Besides, what a high reward if it worked (as it seemed to at first). Play Lively off the court and this turns into a very different series. 

Yes, there are other reasons not to do it. Yes, it backfired in a major way. But I can see the thinking.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 02:40 PM)The Jom Wrote: I’m not defending it. But I think it’s understandable. Dort had 5 fouls. Team had 4 fouls. Officiating tide had turned and the Mavs were gonna get some FTs. Why not make it Lively instead of Luka or, much worse, Kyrie shooting em? Besides, what a high reward if it worked (as it seemed to at first). Play Lively off the court and this turns into a very different series. 

Yes, there are other reasons not to do it. Yes, it backfired in a major way. But I can see the thinking.

I thought their coach defended it pretty logically. Still wouldn't have done it, personally, but apparently they were trying to find a way to keep the lineup they wanted (best offensive lineup, but struggling, defensively) on the floor. The thinking was that even if Lively managed to hit some of the free throws, it would prevent Dallas from running their offense, and the probabilities (again, with that offense over defense lineup OKC wanted to play) favored the strategy over trying to defend Dallas straight up down the stretch. 

Overall, I recommend everyone listen to the OKC coach do an interview or two. He's pretty transparent about his thinking, and comes off as really intelligent, imo. That doesn't mean he's the best coach ever, or that he can't do anything wrong, but I respect him more as a result of hearing him talk.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 03:01 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: I would love to pair Chet with Luka. He's brilliant player and has a really good mindset too.

He's a much better paint defender than I understood coming into this series. The prevailing opinion from general NBA fans is that he's a 4 and they should have added a 5 (like Gafford) at the deadline, but I kind of get why they didn't want to do that after watching them in a few playoff games. He has every bit as much defensive potential as Lively (which is a significant amount) and is already a better rim protector, imho. Any defensive deficiencies he has now are mostly the result of how much he's depended upon on the other end of the floor. He's just not conditioned well enough to play 100% on both ends for 35-40 minutes yet. I feel like he'll get there though. 

I honestly think Holmgren is who they should build around. Eventually, all the Western Conference defenders will figure out all of SGA's spots and how he gets to them. Once that happens, his size will hold him back, a little. He's great, don't get me wrong, but Chet seems like he has a higher ceiling to me.
Like Reply
On rewatch, some items of note:

1. Giddey to open the game is 100% who the Mavs targeted. A few times they catch him showing too strong on a screen and throw it over his head to PJ or DJJ to take it to the rim. A couple more he’s exposed in isos. Mavs score on vast majority of Giddey attacks, and more than his offense, it looks to me like his defense is what’s earning him time on the bench.

2. It’s obvious that driving and getting into the paint are key components of the game plan, as they should be. But there seemed to be a noticeable uptick as soon as Chet left the game. Chet has defended the rim well in the series so far. But the rest of the Thunder team fails miserably in trying to employ a Clippers-like small lineup. Not only are they lacking a 6-8 PG prototype. They don’t even have a 6-5 Terrence Mann. The other JWill is no defensive stopper.

3. Gafford hasn’t learned from the Clippers series. I hoped he had. His memorable shoulder to Zubac’s chest in game 6 seemed like a turning point. But no. He isn’t using strength and power against Chet. He’s trying to dunk over him. And he’s a good 3 inches too short for that.

4. Speaking of Gaff. He’s the recipient of regular, hard, cheap shots far more than any other Mav. And they’re never called. Ever. I absolutely love how he never complains. Just picks up his lunch pail and goes right back to work. Have to think that pays off for him long-term. But maybe not this year.

5. Dort’s screens seem to involve shoving the guy he’s supposed to be screening.

6. The Lively hacks were further defeated by the Thunder following up his misses with turnover, turnover.

7. Shai seems to play no defense whatsoever. Is he gambling for steals? Not coincidence that he’s the primary defender on 22.0-points-per-game PJ Washington.

8. Half way through Q2, Hubie says Luka/Kyrie were a combined 4 for 13 shooting, and 0 for 4 from 3. That means they went 13 for 21 and 3 of 6 from deep thereafter.

9. So much fake injury. This review policy has to change. Did Jalen Williams really twist that ankle? Didn’t look like it. But he laid on the floor moaning while the Mavs shot the ball, grabbed the offensive rebound, and sunk an uncontested 3.

10. What’s the deal with the raised hands in front of the camera on second half 3s? Come on, ABC.
[-] The following 4 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Chicagojk, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Great observations Jom. I noticed some of the same things. Dort died this jogging moving screen that they NEVER call. Shai is supposed to be some all-world defender, yet he is almost always hidden on someone other than Luka or Kyrie. Also agree with what you said about Gaff. The minor adjustment that they started to make was giving Chet pump fakes. He has great timing but he is aggressive in his shot blocking attempts. Also, just once I would like to see DJJ drive and kick instead of tossing up a wild runner or getting stuffed under the rim. Love the guy and what he brings. But you have to at least keep the defense somewhat honest. When he drives it’s 100% tunnel vision. THJ has gotten better at this as the season has gone on. I also like how Tim is attacking Joe, who lacks athleticism and strength, off the bounce
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 04:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He's a much better paint defender than I understood coming into this series. The prevailing opinion from general NBA fans is that he's a 4 and they should have added a 5 (like Gafford) at the deadline, but I kind of get why they didn't want to do that after watching them in a few playoff games. He has every bit as much defensive potential as Lively (which is a significant amount) and is already a better rim protector, imho. Any defensive deficiencies he has now are mostly the result of how much he's depended upon on the other end of the floor. He's just not conditioned well enough to play 100% on both ends for 35-40 minutes yet. I feel like he'll get there though. 

I honestly think Holmgren is who they should build around. Eventually, all the Western Conference defenders will figure out all of SGA's spots and how he gets to them. Once that happens, his size will hold him back, a little. He's great, don't get me wrong, but Chet seems like he has a higher ceiling to me.

Already a better rim protector? Hm. 

He’s 2 years older, so “already” seems like an odd choice of words. And while I agree that he’s been sensational blocking shots from Gaff, DJJ, and even PJ some, I don’t see the same impact when offenders with real offensive skills approach the rim. 

Dereck, on the other hand, is having an impact on Shai and Williams. And then he grabs the rebound. I wouldn’t trade em straight up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 07:02 PM)The Jom Wrote: Already a better rim protector? Hm. 

He’s 2 years older, so “already” seems like an odd choice of words. And while I agree that he’s been sensational blocking shots from Gaff, DJJ, and even PJ some, I don’t see the same impact when offenders with real offensive skills approach the rim. 

Dereck, on the other hand, is having an impact on Shai and Williams. And then he grabs the rebound. I wouldn’t trade em straight up.

This seems like an odd nit to pick. 

I can't believe how many people come at me like I'm a Lively hater when I was one of the few (and the loudest) voices of support for him on draft night, and when I've so consistently defended him from the hoards who wanted him relegated to the bench all season. 

Yes, obviously Lively is a great rim protector, especially given his rookie status. Holmgren seems, to my eye, to actually get to more blocks than Lively does, and has 100% affected the comfort level of the Mavs in the paint, most notably Lively, Gafford and DJJ, all of whom are missing way, way more shots inside than we're accustomed to seeing them miss.

But, none of that is meant, or should be taken by anyone without an agenda, as a criticism of Derrick Lively II, of whose fan club I am the founder and lifetime President. I have absolute power over that organization for the duration of his career, and all you Jonny come lately types can suck it, lol.
Like Reply
I think it's safe to say Chet is a better rim protector than Lively at this point. Lively, however, is very good side-to-side and moves his feet well. I think he's a step quicker to close out on players. I really like how active he is. I can see Lively eventually becoming a more useful defensive player in some ways, but it will take awhile for him to develop the outside shot that Chet has. Chet can face the basket almost anywhere on the perimeter and knock it down. That's not Lively's game. Offensively Lively has a way to go.
[-] The following 2 users Like Winter's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 08:29 PM)Winter Wrote: Lively, however, is very good side-to-side and moves his feet well. I think he's a step quicker to close out on players. I really like how active he is.

I agree, and I hope Scott4theMavs is reading:

Lively has improved a bunch this season moving laterally when he's on an island, and this has been particularly noticeable during the past two games against OKC, when he has been asked to do that more in Kleber's absence. 

Not sure I think he's GREAT getting out to the corner to contest, yet, but definitely quicker to recognize rotations than he was to start the season.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
In that game of Tag, Chet had no chance against Lively. Lively dominated. Chet looked like a lost puppy out there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Luka77's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply