MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - IamDougieFresh - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 01:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
Quote:The rumblings persist that Orlando might move on from Gordon, who signed a four-year, $76 million deal in July 2018 but who has regressed this season. As our Magic beat writer, Josh Robbins, wrote, the recent knee injury to big man Jonathan Isaac could change this landscape a bit (he’ll be re-evaluated in seven weeks). But long-term, Orlando’s front office of John Hammond and Jeff Weltman must decide whether Isaac and Gordon have too much duplication in their games.
“There is chatter coming from Orlando,” one executive shared on Wednesday.
https://theathletic.com/1521675/2020/01/10/nba-trade-big-board-16-players-who-could-move-before-the-deadline/

I'll sell my soul for this deal. Rick and Luka can unlock his full potential.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - DanSchwartzgan - 01-10-2020

Quote:The rumblings persist that Orlando might move on from Gordon, who signed a four-year, $76 million deal in July 2018 but who has regressed this season. As our Magic beat writer, Josh Robbins, wrote, the recent knee injury to big man Jonathan Isaac could change this landscape a bit (he’ll be re-evaluated in seven weeks). But long-term, Orlando’s front office of John Hammond and Jeff Weltman must decide whether Isaac and Gordon have too much duplication in their games.
https://theathletic.com/1521675/2020/01/10/nba-trade-big-board-16-players-who-could-move-before-the-deadline/

They name 16 players who could be moved.  People have made decent arguments here for almost all of the names listed.  It makes figuring out what the team might do much more difficult.

We need another creator

No, we need a 3 and D wing

No, we need another Big (the big should be a rim runner...no, he should stretch the floor)

We need to save cap room for 2021

No, gather assets and trade for a third star.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - StepBackJay - 01-10-2020

It's criminal that we don't have more bigs depth when we know KP is likely a 65 game type player more often that not. I like Maxi a lot in his spot but I think the big problem there is who is off the bench if Powell and Maxi are both starting and KP is out? We know the answer is literally nobody. If we had a big or two of some quality then you have the option to start Maxi and Powell together which I think is pretty good replacement for KP in that Maxi effectively does the same things KP does on both ends.

I would say rim roller types are generally easier to find so that probably could be solved any number of ways. It's even possible you find a rim roller that's better overall than Powell which moves Powell to the bench.

Finding another stretch big is more of an issue but maybe not. If you did swing a trade for Covington it gives you more flexibility. Covington and DFS can both play PF so you can play them together or have 1 guy off the bench. Right now you have Jackson who is really a part-time player as sort of a SF/PF and isn't going to help you win a lot of games. You have Boban who we know is a bit player. Mavs have to fix this problem. KP sitting isn't the end of the world, I would argue that Mavs could get to a place where they are still winning some of these games like Nuggets by a comfortable margin instead of losing by 1 point if they have more depth at PF/C.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - ItsGoTime - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 01:56 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We need another creator

No, we need another Big (the big should be a rim runner
We need all of these. If we get all of them in the next couple years, there's no need to save for 2021.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - Jym - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 02:34 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

No, we need another Big (the big should be a rim runner
We need all of these. If we get all of them in the next couple years, there's no need to save for 2021.

I'm going to be beyond frustrated if we go the inane capspace route again by holding off on upgrade trades and letting quality players walk for nothing.
If a top player in 2021 wants to play for us we'll be able to trade for them. Maybe it'll cost us a couple first rounders to clear space. Fine, deal with that when that reality arrives
Otherwise, operate like you're going to be an over-the-cap team for the next 10 to 15 years

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-10-2020

To me, Aaron Gordon is like a better version of DSJ.  Basketball IQ and skills are both substandard but people see all that athletic ability and wonder what if.  Maybe he'll thrive in the right environment but I have serious doubts.  This is his 6th year.  We should've seen some serious improvement by now and he's actually gotten worse this year.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - ItsGoTime - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 02:45 PM)Jym Wrote: If a top player in 2021 wants to play for us we'll be able to trade for them. Maybe it'll cost us a couple first rounders to clear space. Fine, deal with that when that reality arrives
Why not a sign and trade option as well (ala Brogdon)? Point is, get players with contracts that are on par with their on court value, those guys are valuable to any team. If/when superstars want to make their home in Dallas, figure it out then (have contingency trades in place just in case you get a superstar to say yes).

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - vfromlmf - 01-10-2020

No, we need another Big (the big should be a rim runner...no, he should stretch the floor)

The difference is both a 3D wing / small ball four; and/or a big, banger-type will certainly help this team compete against the best in the West. But this team won't be championship caliber without another dynamic playmaker. Teams need two weapons on the floor in the playoffs.

So if a Kemba Walker-type isn't available you look to maximize your assets and upgrade other areas, while maintaining flexibility to add the playmaker in the future. 

Based on the list of 16, I like Aaron Gordon. He can bang a little. He's a threat to score and can guard Kawhi-types. He can screen & roll. But most importantly, putting Gordon at four and Porzingis at five will create matchup problems in the Mavs favor. Porzingis can't guard Jokic, but Jokic can't guard Porzingis and the rim from 30 feet out. 

Powell can start and play 26-28 minutes but Mavs would close with Doncic-THJ-DFS-Gordon-Porzingis. 

I still don't think this makes the Mavs a championship team but it would be a MAJOR upgrade.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - Scott41theMavs - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 01:56 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

We need another creator

"We need another creator..." I.e., an upgrade on THJ.

"No, we need a 3 and D wing..." I.e., an upgrade on DFS.

"No, we need another big..." I.e., an upgrade on DP.

Gee, if only we would have had $11 mil more in cap room than what we used this summer, maybe at least one of those three issues could have been addressed before the season started. Just sayin'.

In the meantime, I agree with IGT - we objectively need all three of those. I would have the goal of addressing one at the TDL, a second this summer, and the third either at next year's TDL or the following summer.

Which do we need to address now? I agree with Dan on the Gordon thing - not necessarily Gordon specifically, but the principle that you go get the very best player available that you can actually get for your pitiful trade assets and worry about the rest later. This team needs a massive talent quotient upgrade overall - capital that can either help us on the floor or serve as trade assets as needed.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - vfromlmf - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 03:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: "We need another creator..." I.e., an upgrade on THJ.

"No, we need a 3 and D wing..." I.e., an upgrade on DFS.

"No, we need another big..." I.e., an upgrade on DP.

I don't necessarily see it that way. It's not a binary, upgrade Player A, for better Player B. 

It's about what can be added to enhance the core of Doncic + Porzingis.

THJ isn't a shot creator. He's an elite catch & shoot finisher. You need that. 

DFS is a fantastic 3D value. Maybe the best value in the league. You need that.

Dwight Powell is an elite rim-roller & dirty work big. You need that.

I understand it can be easy to say "just go get Covington and move DFS to the bench," but does that really make the team that much better? They're better, sure, but their roles are fairly duplicative .... I'd argue the biggest benefit of Covington would be that he can play four in crunch time alongside DFS, which helps the Mavs matchup with the top teams. (I wonder how the Nuggets game would've turned out, had Covington guarded Jokic rather than DFS ...)

Likewise, if Kemba Walker or another elite playmaker chose Dallas in free agency, that doesn't necessarily mean THJ would move to the bench. The two players do totally different things.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - IamDougieFresh - 01-10-2020

(01-10-2020, 05:31 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Dwight Powell is an elite rim-roller

We have a player on the roster who is in the 90th percentile as the rollman and his name is not Dwight Powell

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - ClutchDirk - 01-10-2020

https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1215774066986143746

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1215775758750273538

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - cow - 01-10-2020

If the asking price for Drummond is Hayward, I think that takes us out of the running.

Wish we could go after RoCo but I think we'd again be outbid and if I'm the Wolves, I use him as my package for trading D'Lo in the off season.

I wouldn't mind working out Jamaal Craword.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - ClutchDirk - 01-10-2020

LeChina just promoted Pelinka to VP...must have promised LeChina he could get another f'ing playmaker...

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1215788657174409217

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/1215793091866693634

https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/1215788324801126400

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - Kammrath - 01-11-2020

(01-10-2020, 11:10 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/BlakeWeirFPN/status/1215637886088904704?s=20

I am ALL IN on RoCo. I like what DFS has become but as demonstrated tonight (as MANY times this season), he is NOT a stopper.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - cow - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 12:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 11:10 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/BlakeWeirFPN/status/1215637886088904704?s=20

I am ALL IN on RoCo. I like what DFS has become but as demonstrated tonight (as MANY times this season), he is NOT a stopper.

Having RoCo + DFS + Maxi + Zinger would be a helluva defensive unit.  I'm ready to sell Powell, Brunson, Jackson, Wright, GSW Pick.  Not sure any combination of that is enough.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - Lui41 - 01-11-2020

Hi! Long time lurker here.

What do you think about Delon Wright plus Justin Jackson, GSW 2nd Round Pick, and Utah 2nd Round Pick for Robert Covington? Would that offer be enough?

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - ItsGoTime - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 10:51 AM)Lui41 Wrote: Hi! Long time lurker here.

What do you think about Delon Wright plus Justin Jackson, GSW 2nd Round Pick, and Utah 2nd Round Pick for Robert Covington? Would that offer be enough?
If they think DSJ is a good target for their PG, Wright should be much better. The answer to the question is more for the Timberwolves, I don't think they'd be excited with that trade for value, but I think it is pretty dang close. Throw in Dieng for Lee (and we need a C with Dieng's skills and size) and I think that is a trade that gives them little reason to not do it (well, backup big will then be a problem for them, but there are plenty out there to get, I think, and they don't need much time for the backup C).

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - DanSchwartzgan - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 10:51 AM)Lui41 Wrote: Hi! Long time lurker here.

Welcome Lui the Lurker.

When I first read that, I thought it was way too much.

Then it dawned on me that I had just worked up a very similar outgoing in a 3 way with Minnesota and GSW.

https://tradenba.com/trades/D8VEXD2Nz

So now I think your proposal is brilliant.  I'm not sure what GSW thinks it will get for Russell this summer.  They need a shooting SF and someone to fill the Livingston role.  Wright can do the latter quite well and Covington would also be a nice pickup for them.  I see Wright and Covington as roughly equivalent players.  Teague would simply be an expiring deal holding down the fort for the rest of the season.

Minnesota probably has to add something to GSW here, not the Mav's.  Jackson for WCS (Looney also works) is simply trying to fill a need for big man depth.  I don't think Dallas would have to give up the GSW #2.  The nice thing here is Dallas can still use Lee or the TPE and the GSW #2 to add something else if they wish.  Or, because they didn't spend much in the way of 2020 money, they can afford to use the full MLE this summer.

Luka, THJ, Covington, KP, Powell
Brunson, Curry, DFS, Maxi, WCS

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (New Drummond trade updates page 25) - ThunderMav - 01-11-2020

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1215849457792770049