MavsBoard
NBA Trade Rumors | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA Trade Rumors | (/showthread.php?tid=281)

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - ItsGoTime - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:14 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: When you post that comment in response to when i'm talking about Drummond vs Powell, then you ARE talking about Drummond whether you like it or not.
Your opinion on the point I'm trying to make does not make it my opinion (I find it a bit funny that you would actually say that you know my opinion more than me...). I quoted the part I was responding to, when you were talking about Powell. 

If your point was not to make a case in any way for Powell having some kind of unreachable % from 3 when a player is actually working to make that a part of their game (which I haven't seen anything from Drummond saying he is trying like we know with Powell), then I have your point wrong. That's different than my opinion being changed to suit what you think, or want it to be.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - TXBamanut - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:42 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1213232956661260288

That makes the most sense.  With the premium they are putting on spacing, it's suspect that they would get a worse shooter than Powell for that spot.

But then again...that could be flack and who knows....stranger things have happened, but, even with his positives, no interest makes more sense to me.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - omahen - 01-03-2020

Here is a good analysis. We need a better offensive version of THJ, who has to be at least decent on defense. I don't agree with the Dragic part - I don't think Miami wants to trade him, especially if they would be trading Winslow. And I think Dragic would like to stay in Miami. Might accept much lower salary next season and still be a productive back up for a couple of years, eventually regressing to "Barea" role. I agree even less with the mentioned veterans. Only Bogdanovic comes to my mind - I have no idea what the asking price would be.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2020/1/3/21046910/the-mavericks-may-not-need-post-ups-but-they-do-need-another-shot-creator

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - JamesConway - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:47 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 06:42 PM)omahen Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1213232956661260288
https://media.giphy.com/media/ir1FV4pWSmrXMfTNNY/giphy.gif
I don't want to advocate for Drummond and I also doubt that we're really in this, but Imo Townsend has been off more often than not when it comes to his sources' accuracy. He talked a lot about Vucevic being a target for us starting last February and iirc he also put out some stuff during FA that was just wrong pretty much all the time.

He's a legit guy who is close to the team, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to hearing things from within then I don't have him too high on the list.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - Dundalis - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:23 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote: Drummond would put this team over the top. His defensive shortcomings could be masked by KP shotblocking. As with any Adams deal I think the Mavs simply don't have the pieces to pull something of this magnitude off, although the interest Detroit has in expiring contracts bodes well for our ability to get something in return for Lee. I can only imagine the Mavs have kicked the tires with Detoit on this thing with some sort of package.
Over the top of what exactly? It's certainly not going to make us a better team. Just watch this teams offensive officiency fall off a cliff. Watch Luka have less space to drive, and Drummond waste possessions putting shots up (far more frequently, and far less efficiently than DAJ did last year, who was also not good for this team). For all the talk about Powell, he CAN space the floor, because he will stand at the 3 point line and take the open shot at a 30% rate or set great picks and roll hard to the rim. Drummond won't do the former and isn't any good at the latter (0.95 ppp in PnR, 28th percentile, vs Kleber 1.44 92nd percentile and Powell 1.20 66th percentile, which is low for him this season).

Also Drummond is NOT a good defender, in exactly the same way DAJ wasn't a good defender. He's terrible defending PnR, and sells out for rebounds. A guy is going to take the team over the top when he needs to be masked by someone else defensively, when this team is middle of the pack defensively as it is? Our rebounding might get better, but it really doesn't need to get much better, but we will be worse offensively, and defensively. Also the dude will be a liability in the playoffs. Some terrible takes here.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - ItsGoTime - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:58 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: a) want to trade for him or b) hate Powell or both
a) Could care less about him being traded for, unless we pay too much for him. He might be a good piece to the puzzle, he might derail the whole thing. If it were to happen, I'd have a wait and see approach.

b) I don't hate Powell the player, I hate Powell the 3 point shooter and the notion that people think we need yet another 3 point shooter to go with KP so we can play 5 out basketball. So when someone wants to make a point about Powell's 3 shot being in any way a positive thing, I respond.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - JamesConway - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:03 PM)Dundalis Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 06:23 PM)Luka_Magic Wrote: Drummond would put this team over the top. His defensive shortcomings could be masked by KP shotblocking. As with any Adams deal I think the Mavs simply don't have the pieces to pull something of this magnitude off, although the interest Detroit has in expiring contracts bodes well for our ability to get something in return for Lee. I can only imagine the Mavs have kicked the tires with Detoit on this thing with some sort of package.
Over the top of what exactly? It's certainly not going to make us a better team. Just watch this teams offensive officiency fall off a cliff. Watch Luka have less space to drive, and Drummond waste possessions putting shots up (far more frequently, and far less efficiently than DAJ did last year, who was also not good for this team). For all the talk about Powell, he CAN space the floor, because he will stand at the 3 point line and take the open shot at a 30% rate or set great picks and roll hard to the rim. Drummond won't do the former and isn't any good at the latter (0.95 ppp in PnR, 28th percentile, vs Kleber 1.44 92nd percentile and Powell 1.20 66th percentile, which is low for him this season).

Also Drummond is NOT a good defender, in exactly the same way DAJ wasn't a good defender. He's terrible defending PnR, and sells out for rebounds. A guy is going to take the team over the top when he needs to be masked by someone else defensively, when this team is middle of the pack defensively as it is? Our rebounding might get better, but it really doesn't need to get much better, but we will be worse offensively, and defensively. Also the dude will be a liability in the playoffs. Some terrible takes here.
Most of the stuff you've brought up are things that people around here are aware. But some obviously think that he'd look vastly different in DAL compared to DET. He's not getting any postups here, I can guarantee you that.

Prime DeAndre Jordan was the absolute bluechip fit in terms of being the ideal Mavs PnR-finishing Center. We got the washed up, lazy version. But when he was at his best DJ was a s super athletic Center who could catch almost any lob from any angle who doesn't have plays run for him yet still produces. Basically a Dwight Powell on steroids. The whole idea with Drummond is that he might become that here in our system. He certainly has the athletic and physical tools.

For me personally it comes down to the price tag. Our rotation lacks balance anyway so a move might potentially add a high-upside starter to this roster without hurting the rotation too much. For instance our guard rotation is pretty crowded. JJB barely ever plays yet we still can't get all off Curry/Brunson/Wright the minutes they deserve. I am open-minded about moving one of them in a trade to balance out the squad and don't see a lot of downside there. Then we got plenty of other players who can be thrown in deals as fillers who don't play either (Lee, Bro, Roby).

It's a buy low-situation. That's it. We've done comparable moves in the past. I fully expect Drummond to be moved for a weak package. Maybe even worth less than what we traded away in the Noel-acquisition.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - Aussiebballer - 01-03-2020

I got bored ?
How about a 3 team trade...

Dallas get
Drummond
Bogdanovic
Maker
Thomas
Frazier

Kings get
Griffin
Snell
Roby
Hardaway
Morris

Detroit get
Powell
Barnes
Dedmon
Giles
Brunson
Jackson
Ariza
Lee
GSW 2nd rd pick

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - Scott41theMavs - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:02 PM)JamesConway Wrote:
I don't want to advocate for Drummond and I also doubt that we're really in this, but Imo Townsend has been off more often than not when it comes to his sources' accuracy. He talked a lot about Vucevic being a target for us starting last February and iirc he also put out some stuff during FA that was just wrong pretty much all the time.

He's a legit guy who is close to the team, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to hearing things from within then I don't have him too high on the list.

I need him to be right this time.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - Dundalis - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:28 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:

The statistics say that he doesn't have defensive shortcomings, which was COMPLETELY a surprise to me.  Check the stats yourself.

Here's what I found and posted earlier in the thread, that totally shocked me...

Drummond is...(all these stats are league stats, not position filtered)
"5th in Defensive win shares
5th in Defensive Box Plus Minus
11th in blocks

He's hit a sub-100 defensive rating for 4 of his 8 seasons, and currently is 13th in the NBA in Defensive rating."

(01-03-2020, 06:27 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: @"TXBamanut"

Interesting take. We've all wondered what this team would look like **IF** Boban could start and play 30 minutes.

So you're suggesting a trade for Drummond, who **CAN** start & play 30 minutes while providing Boban-like production, might be the answer.

Very interesting.

It's an interesting possibility... I still am concerned about what it does to the spacing for the floor for 30 minutes, as opposed to what Boban on the floor for 15 does....but it's interesting to say the least.

Luka Doncic is ahead of Joel Embiid in DBPM and ahead of guys like Paul Goerge, Steven Adams and Jrue Holiday in DWS. Drummond is terrible in PnR defense, any Pistons fan will tell you the same, and he sells out defensively for rebounds the same way DAJ did. He's gets blocks like DAJ used to when he was in his mid 20's and still super athletic, but DAJ was always a very very overrated defender because of that. At least DAJ knew his role and put up low number hyper efficient shots playing within his wheelhouse, unlike Drummond who's a volume scorer with a bog standard mid 50's TS (with a bad career 53% TS). DAJ also had very good defensive metrics playing with the Mavs, but anyone watching the games could tell he was a bad defender. Drummond is like their only good player with Griffin falling off a cliff, and most Pistons fans want him out. Which is not normal when the guys only 26. It tells you something.

(01-03-2020, 07:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 07:02 PM)JamesConway Wrote:

I need him to be right this time.
Live footage from Scott reacting to Townsend's tweet:

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - Scott41theMavs - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:14 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: I got bored ?
How about a 3 team trade...

Dallas get
Drummond
Bogdanovic
Maker
Thomas
Frazier

Kings get
Griffin
Snell
Roby
Hardaway
Morris

Detroit get
Powell
Barnes
Dedmon
Giles
Brunson
Jackson
Ariza
Lee
GSW 2nd rd pick

I want no part of Drummond, no way no how, but Bogdanovich is my number one trade target right now. I have to give you kudos on that trade in that 1) it works cap-wise, and 2) it's predicated on the idea that the Kings would want Griffin, which would be profoundly idiotic of them, and is thus 100% feasible, rotflmao.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - ClutchDirk - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I need him to be right this time.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3j0XXwCEgOn70gpVKT/giphy.gif

http://twitter.com/SmithRaps/status/1213256291042385924

http://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1213227292631162887

(01-03-2020, 07:14 PM)JamesConway Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 07:03 PM)Dundalis Wrote:

Most of the stuff you've brought up are things that people around here are aware. But some obviously think that he'd look vastly different in DAL compared to DET. He's not getting any postups here, I can guarantee you that.

Prime DeAndre Jordan was the absolute bluechip fit in terms of being the ideal Mavs PnR-finishing Center. We got the washed up, lazy version. But when he was at his best DJ was a s super athletic Center who could catch almost any lob from any angle who doesn't have plays run for him yet still produces. Basically a Dwight Powell on steroids. The whole idea with Drummond is that he might become that here in our system. He certainly has the athletic and physical tools.

For me personally it comes down to the price tag. Our rotation lacks balance anyway so a move might potentially add a high-upside starter to this roster without hurting the rotation too much. For instance our guard rotation is pretty crowded. JJB barely ever plays yet we still can't get all off Curry/Brunson/Wright the minutes they deserve. I am open-minded about moving one of them in a trade to balance out the squad and don't see a lot of downside there. Then we got plenty of other players who can be thrown in deals as fillers who don't play either (Lee, Bro, Roby).

It's a buy low-situation. That's it. We've done comparable moves in the past. I fully expect Drummond to be moved for a weak package. Maybe even worth less than what we traded away in the Noel-acquisition.
Sorry, but DeAndre Jordan has always been in the 90+ percentile as a PnR roll man everywhere he's played for basically his whole career. EVEN with the terrible Knicks, even last year for the Mavs when he was clearly a step slower and showed a lot less enthusiasm rolling than he had showed in the past when he was basically consistently the best roll man in the league hands down each year. Drummond is not and has never been in the same stratosphere as a roll man. It takes a hell of a lot more than some hops and size to actually be any good at it. Oh and Drummond is pretty lazy defensively too, he shares quite a bit in common with DAJ. And even prime DAJ isn't a fit in todays game, because he can't shoot. Sorry, but no matter how much you wanna cling to the old days, 5 out spacing is in and it's not going anywhere any time soon. Though I will say, being a great roll man is certainly better than not being able to shoot or be a good roll man (which does bring inverted spacing), but it's not ideal. That's not Andre Drummond though.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - ClutchDirk - 01-03-2020

http://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1213220654977339393

http://twitter.com/shamshammgod/status/1213215613889470466

http://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1213213899388047360

(01-03-2020, 07:06 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 06:58 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: a) want to trade for him or b) hate Powell or both
a) Could care less about him being traded for, unless we pay too much for him. He might be a good piece to the puzzle, he might derail the whole thing. If it were to happen, I'd have a wait and see approach.

b) I don't hate Powell the player, I hate Powell the 3 point shooter and the notion that people think we need yet another 3 point shooter to go with KP so we can play 5 out basketball. So when someone wants to make a point about Powell's 3 shot being in any way a positive thing, I respond.
Powell's 3 point shooting isn't ideal, but it's enough to space the floor, he sets great picks, AND he provides high level rim rolling which provides inverted spacing (though he's not been quite and proficient this year as in previous years). But no, Powell is not ideal for this team, and someone who could space the floor with a bigger 3 point threat would be better for the teams offense. 5 out basketball is the primary reason why this teams offensive efficiency is historic (even without Luka as we saw). It just is. Powell brings just enough not to detract too much from that. But he'd ideally be replaced.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - BolsDamols - 01-03-2020

I am ok with Drummond...

As a Boban replacement, not a starting center Smile

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - StepBackJay - 01-03-2020

Drummond to Atlanta might free up Alex Len if you want to get him just for TE money. Would be a good depth move.

(01-03-2020, 07:38 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: http://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1213220654977339393

http://twitter.com/shamshammgod/status/1213215613889470466

http://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1213213899388047360

Hawks have all kinds of expiring contracts. They will send one or two of those + a first round pick or two.

Playing with Trae Young Drummond is going to get a million lobs.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - vfromlmf - 01-03-2020

Important note I haven’t seen anyone mention. Since Drummond has an opt-out, it will likely be Drummond himself who picks his next team. Can’t imagine any team would give up significant assets for half a season, ESPECIALLY Atlanta who has nothing to gain without commitment from Drummond to sign long term. 

Much like Anthony Davis, the player has all the leverage.

RE: NBA Trade Rumors (Pistons discussing Drummond trade with Mavs, ATL, and others) - Aussiebballer - 01-03-2020

Yeah if he does get traded it could be for a lot less then people expect.
Teams need to start making decisions on players while they still have multiple years left on their contracts.
Most teams have wised up and won’t pay full value for a potential half a season rental.

Some low value picks and unproven young players is the most I would expect.