MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Tyler - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 08:58 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Fish is also reporting that we're offering the GS 2nd.

Yikes.

Here's his most recent quote:

"Dallas' early-July offer to Memphis for the 35-year-old defensive stopper, who is on the Grizzlies roster but is not really part of the team, was the salary burden of Courtney Lee and a second-round pick, owned by Dallas via Golden State. We established that on June 10. That's the deal."

IMO, Fish is misrepresenting what he originally wrote over the summer.  And that's even forgiving the typo on the date, as the article was written July 10th and Iguodala wasn't traded to Memphis until June 30th.  Here's the exact quote from the original ariticle:

"The Dallas Mavericks' long-standing desire to shed themselves of Courtney Lee has manifested itself in a trade offer from the Mavs to Memphis that would send Lee and a second-round pick to the Grizzlies in exchange for veteran standout Andre Iguodala, sources tell DallasBasketball.com."

At the time, Dallas owned 2 2020 2nd rounders: Utah's and Golden State's.  Read the original article and look for any reference to which second rounder Dallas was offering, and you won't find it.  For all we know, Dallas was offering a future pick beyond 2020.  But now that there's a national report about the GS pick, Fish is conveniently remembering a new detail that he never mentioned before and claiming that it was always his story.  I'm... skeptical.

And even if it's true, there's still the not-so-small detail that an offer of a low 2nd rounder (which is what the GS pick was expected to be last summer) for a full year of a player is a lot different than a high 2nd rounder for half a season of a player.  The situation has changed, and I imagine the negotiation has changed along with it.

All that said, it's entirely possible that the GS pick really is on the table.  We'll find out soon enough.  But it's important to take a lot of these reports with a grain of salt, as reporters of all stripes often use them to boost their own profiles while playing loose with the facts.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 01-30-2020

(01-29-2020, 05:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm with Kamm. I might give the GSW pick for a half-year rental of Lebron or Kawhi, but not Iggy.

(01-29-2020, 05:49 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 05:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 05:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't see Mavs or anybody trading for injured players. You just don't see that very often.

Ummm....
Probably unrealistic. I know we did it last year for Porzingis but they were also tanking so we had more flexibility with recovery times. It sucks that both of them are hurt but I think I would still do it. I take any combination of their bad contracts to get Markkanen in here.

I know there are some who actually want OPJ here as a player, but I need both Markkanen and WCJ to take back that contract, tbh.

(01-29-2020, 05:49 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 05:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 05:41 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't see Mavs or anybody trading for injured players. You just don't see that very often.

Ummm....
Probably unrealistic. I know we did it last year for Porzingis but they were also tanking so we had more flexibility with recovery times. It sucks that both of them are hurt but I think I would still do it. I take any combination of their bad contracts to get Markkanen in here.

I agree the circumstances are different. I just thought his statement was ironic.

KP at the time was saying he was ready to play. Mavs kept him on the shelf but not because he was injured. I also said "very often" which is true. The KP deal was a once in a generation coups for any team so it is for sure the exception, not the rule. There are just not very many deals where you give up damaged goods DSJ + expirings for an all-star 23 year old player. Donnie made it happen but it doesn't mean anything like that is going to happen again anytime soon. These OPJ deals, I don't anticipate any player getting moved if he's injured right now. Further I don't see Markkanen getting moved, he has too much upside to give up on now.

So thanks for linking the Fish tweet, this is all starting to make more sense:
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/exclusive-mavs-stand-firm-in-nba-trade-offer-for-andre-iguodala

I didn't recall there being a firm offer last summer, lots of noise but I don't remember a verified "The Mavs have offered Lee + a 2nd." That being said it seems plausible that such an offer was made (which 2nd round pick was offered is debatable) and Memphis decided to just wait until the TDL to see if they could get something better. It's also possible that the pick was the GSW pick which has risen in value since then. But if that's the case it seems like Memphis would have called Dallas back and been like actually you know what Lee + a high 2nd round pick **does** sound pretty nice, let's do that deal.

At any rate as each day passes it seems more an more likely that a deal is there to be made btwn Dallas and Memphis for Iguodala be it GSW or some other 2nd round pick or two.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - mtrot - 01-30-2020

You guys saying Iggy's not worth it because he's not going to push us to the 2-3 spot by the end of the season are way overconfident about this current Mavs roster.  My position is that, with the way this current Mavs team is playing, they will do well to even make the playoffs.  Iggy might be the additional spark we need to make the playoffs.  The Mavs are not tanking this season, so why not take a small step to enhance our chances THIS season?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - cow - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 09:53 AM)Magickian Wrote: Some of y’all are acting like this GSW Pico is a first round lottery pick.

We couldn’t even get some of the ideas you have for a lottery pick... a third star with a second round pick?!?!?!?

This has gotten insane how much y’all overvalue that pick

I'd save the asset to move up in this years draft or package it with this years pick on draft night as a package for another player.  I'd preserve flexibility with the asset over a 3 month Iggy rental that probably doesn't change the outlook of this team.  We need to be smart about building this team around Luka if we hope to keep him for his career.

I wouldn't mind Iggy. I wouldn't mind giving up a second. I'm just not giving up the GSW second. It seems like that can be better spent elsewhere.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 12:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: You guys saying Iggy's not worth it because he's not going to push us to the 2-3 spot by the end of the season are way overconfident about this current Mavs roster. My position is that, with the way this current Mavs team is playing, they will do well to even make the playoffs. Iggy might be the additional spark we need to make the playoffs. The Mavs are not tanking this season, so why not take a small step to enhance our chances THIS season?

Not making the playoffs? You realize how many of the remaining games they would have to lose for that to happen? Methinks you're reading way the hell too much into the Phoenix loss. It was a SEGABABA with all of the Kobe baggage. They should have played better, but the game doesn't indicate who they are.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - StepBackJay - 01-30-2020

Ya that GSW pick is a sticking point for sure. I'd like to avoid this whole problem by throwing the kitchen sink at RoCo now. Assuming we can't get him or Mavs are simply unwilling to part with Brunson others, who could be a needle-mover for Wolves then it's really a matter of how high a pick you want to give up. The one concern I have ab holding onto this GSW pick is the fact that next draft is supposed to be a very weak draft is it not? That to me would dilute the value of those picks. I also think Mavs are 1 impact wing away from doing some damage. Unless and until we can get a defensive wing in here I feel like this current roster is a 1-and-done 1st round exit.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Scott41theMavs - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 12:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya that GSW pick is a sticking point for sure. I'd like to avoid this whole problem by throwing the kitchen sink at RoCo now. Assuming we can't get him or Mavs are simply unwilling to part with Brunson others, who could be a needle-mover for Wolves then it's really a matter of how high a pick you want to give up. The one concern I have ab holding onto this GSW pick is the fact that next draft is supposed to be a very weak draft is it not? That to me would dilute the value of those picks. I also think Mavs are 1 impact wing away from doing some damage. Unless and until we can get a defensive wing in here I feel like this current roster is a 1-and-done 1st round exit.

I suspect that not having traded with Covington is that the Wolves either want to wait to see if they can trade him for D'Angelo, or the competitive offers that Minnie is holding from other teams are too good for the Mavs to match. If it really were a matter of genuinely not being willing to part with Justin Jackson and one of Wright and Brunson - two players who, from where I'm sitting, ***cannot*** both stay here healthily for them and the Mavs - then it would indicate that the Mavs have a codependency with Rick's love of small ball akin to Lamar Odom's addictions. Not being willing to trade either Brunson or Wright, who are cannibalizing each other's minutes, for a starter would be straight up dumb as dirt and had damn well better be nothing more than a negotiation tactic if that's what teams are hearing.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - cow - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 12:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya that GSW pick is a sticking point for sure. I'd like to avoid this whole problem by throwing the kitchen sink at RoCo now. Assuming we can't get him or Mavs are simply unwilling to part with Brunson others, who could be a needle-mover for Wolves then it's really a matter of how high a pick you want to give up. The one concern I have ab holding onto this GSW pick is the fact that next draft is supposed to be a very weak draft is it not? That to me would dilute the value of those picks. I also think Mavs are 1 impact wing away from doing some damage. Unless and until we can get a defensive wing in here I feel like this current roster is a 1-and-done 1st round exit.

As long as we don't play the Clippers in the fist round, we have a punchers chance.  Live by the three, die by the three.  It's just a matter of being able to get hot for four games.

Day t-minus 8 and counting.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Mavs2019 - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 09:53 AM)Magickian Wrote: Some of y’all are acting like this GSW Pico is a first round lottery pick.

We couldn’t even get some of the ideas you have for a lottery pick... a third star with a second round pick?!?!?!?

Yeah let´s trade for a three months rental of Lamar Odom minus the coke problem instead.

I was really happy that we missed the opportunity to draft

#23 Hood
#25 Capela
#27 Bogdanovic
#30 Anderson
#33 Harris
#38 Dinwiddie
#41 Jokic
#45 Powell
#46 Clarkson

for that.

We do not have unlimited time and capspace with Luka getting paid next year. Now that we have committed $40M to the Limp Bros: Achilles and Everything Else, we need to be smart about our assets and money.

One thing that is could be a sticking point for RoCo is that you are probably trying to trade them a guard which they need but taking away a PF that they would also need a replacement for.

Any chance you would do the following:

- Maxi, Brunson
OR
- DFS, Wright

For Covington and then in a separate deal GSW for Bertans with an eye on resigning him in the summer? Right now we have a logjam at guard so to me if you can get a wing and a stretch big then you are still at a net positive.

(01-30-2020, 02:15 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

Yeah let´s trade for a three months rental of Lamar Odom minus the coke problem instead.

I was really happy that we missed the opportunity to draft

#23 Hood
#25 Capela
#27 Bogdanovic
#30 Anderson
#33 Harris
#38 Dinwiddie
#41 Jokic
#45 Powell
#46 Clarkson

for that.

We do not have unlimited time and capspace with Luka getting paid next year. Now that we have committed $40M to the Limp Bros: Achilles and Everything Else, we need to be smart about our assets and money.

So Mavs you are making your case for why a 2nd round pick is valuable by citing 4 players not drafted in the 2nd round? For every Dinwiddle or Jokic there are a million other 2nd round players that don't do anything. It's still a needle in a haystack. I am not saying we throw it away but honestly the odds of Mavs actually drafting anyone with that pick are close to zero. The issue as it stands and whether or not they will trade it now or trade it later.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - mtrot - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 12:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 12:23 PM)mtrot Wrote: You guys saying Iggy's not worth it because he's not going to push us to the 2-3 spot by the end of the season are way overconfident about this current Mavs roster.  My position is that, with the way this current Mavs team is playing, they will do well to even make the playoffs.  Iggy might be the additional spark we need to make the playoffs.  The Mavs are not tanking this season, so why not take a small step to enhance our chances THIS season?

Not making the playoffs? You realize how many of the remaining games they would have to lose for that to happen? Methinks you're reading way the hell too much into the Phoenix loss. It was a SEGABABA with all of the Kobe baggage. They should have played better, but the game doesn't indicate who they are.
Well, I hope you're right, but I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about the rest of the season.  But these teams trying either to move up in the playoffs OR trying to make the playoffs are coming at the Mavs hungry and aggressive, and I've seen little evidence that the Mavs are prepared to match.  We shall see.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Fuerza1 - 01-30-2020

My goodness, Robert Covington is so damn overrated. He is as inefficient as Wesley Matthews on offense, and that's with 2 healthy Achilles heels but comes with the Trevor Ariza hype at one tenth of the latter's accomplishments. 

He is a little better defender than DFS but at 3 times the price? And he'll be 30 next year? His "best contract in the league" claim is also a bunch of hyperbole. You can find 3/D guys at $10M or less every summer. Hard pass. 

As far as Iggy goes, MBT would be idiotic to throw in the GS 2nd for him. It's either Lee or Delon or no deal. That GS 2nd is like a late first rounder. 

Lets say Mavs' 1st round pick is at #20. They can package #20 and #31 to move up in the first for a guy they really like at #15. That pick is much more valuable than 3 months of Iggy, and I say that as a guy who really wants Iggy here. If MBT give it up for a rental, they haven't learned from their past mistakes.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - omahen - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 02:33 PM)mtrot Wrote: Well, I hope you're right, but I'm beginning to get a bad feeling about the rest of the season.  But these teams trying either to move up in the playoffs OR trying to make the playoffs are coming at the Mavs hungry and aggressive, and I've seen little evidence that the Mavs are prepared to match.  We shall see.

Last 10 games Mavs won 6 and lose 4. They won Philly, OKC, Portland 2x - all playoff or playoff hopefuls. No need to panic until we see at least 5 game losing streak.

I don't agree that Covington is overrated at all but who is available this summer that you would think is viable? As far as drafting someone late in the first round, it's possible altho I think unlikely the Mavs will go that route. Much more likely to me they try to cash in those picks for a more established player. This year Brandon Clarke was a big hit in the 20s, not sure if any of these other guys are doing as much. A guy like Covington is a legit starter vs a pick in the 20s is going to be usually a multi-year project before he has an impact.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - omahen - 01-30-2020

My priorities for TDL:
1. get a good long term solution like RoCo, Bogi or even Gallo
2. Get assets for remaining TE and Lee (like get take Hood from Portland, trade Lee for Dieng and similar)
3. If none of the above works, trade Lee for expirining like Iggy without throwing away too many assets

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - Fuerza1 - 01-30-2020

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/30/21114695/trade-deadline-aaron-gordon-marcus-smart-bogdan-bogdanovic

I think Denzel Valentine would be an interesting get and wouldn't cost much. But there is another guy I really like on the Bulls team in Chandler Hutchison. He is a 3/4 wing who has great defensive tools imho.

Delon/JJax for Valentine/Hutchison/Felicio + future 2nd seems like a reasonable deal.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help (TDL Feb 6) - ItsGoTime - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 02:36 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: As far as Iggy goes, MBT would be idiotic to throw in the GS 2nd for him. It's either Lee or Delon or no deal. That GS 2nd is like a late first rounder. 
So to you the GSW 2nd rounder is worth more than Delon Wright. Gotcha. That is a pretty crazy take IMO.

(01-30-2020, 03:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 02:36 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: As far as Iggy goes, MBT would be idiotic to throw in the GS 2nd for him. It's either Lee or Delon or no deal. That GS 2nd is like a late first rounder. 
So to you the GSW 2nd rounder is worth more than Delon Wright. Gotcha. That is a pretty crazy take IMO.

Yes because you can find a rotation player of Delon's ilk (or even better) at #31 on a bargain contract for many years of control. Delon is an average bench player making $9M/yr for 2 more seasons so even if you draft a bust at #31, you free yourself of $9M this summer and next for a better replacement via FA. 

Not really understanding the Delon love affair. Overall, his impact has been highly negative. His on/off court rating is at -5.8! Limited jump shooter, not a floor general, and now an iffy attitude due to his role.

Losing Delon would be addition by subtraction at this point. But he was our prize free agent so lets hype him up!!

(01-30-2020, 03:15 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 03:05 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

Yes because you can find a rotation player of Delon's ilk (or even better) at #31 on a bargain contract for many years of control. Delon is an average bench player making $9M/yr for 2 more seasons so even if you draft a bust at #31, you free yourself of $9M this summer and next for a better replacement via FA. 

Not really understanding the Delon love affair. Overall, his impact has been highly negative. His on/off court rating is at -5.8! Limited jump shooter, not a floor general, and now an iffy attitude due to his role.

Losing Delon would be addition by subtraction at this point. But he was our prize free agent so lets hype him up!!
Yes, I loved Wright at the start of the season, as he was aggressive as hell going to the basket and scoring, but it seems like he's lost much of his mojo since then.  Not sure what happened.  He does have stretches where he looks all-world, especially on defense, but it's not consistent enough.