MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - omahen - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 12:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: THJ

I would be very careful with shipping THJ. He is huge for us, as he brings elite level of shooting. Elite from the point, that he really needs a little space and time to shoot it and he hits them at a decent percentage. I am talking about JJ Reddick or Korver type of extremely quick release. Our Curry, for example, needs much more space and time to shoot it compared to THJ. THJ is making opposing defense to be much more honest and close to him than others, even Curry. 

Sato, as good as he is, can't replace this. I see him more as a replacement for Wright or even Curry role. OPJ is extreme risk. Injured all the time, huge contract. I am not really sure we need to take this risk to get Young and Sato. I am talking OPJ only if Markannen is on the table.

I trully hope Chicago sticks with current coach for a while and listen to his suggestions, because he made a terrbile job with this group of players. We may profit from it. Most of their guys are excellent in specific roles yet they are a disaster as a team.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - burekemde - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 12:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But that is not how it works. No team in the league is running all starters vs all bench lineups. Bench also doesn´t exclusively play vs bench. The Mavs only have to players averaging 30+ (starter minutes), 3 if you include DFS (29min). They have 5 more players averaging 20+ minutes.
If you think that lineups without KP and Doncic are getting blown out I would advise you take a look at lineup data. Overall the team is outscoring opponents without both on the floor and there are multiple lineups without them that have great  +/- numbers.

Again, PPG does not mean much. What means is how many games you win. If you rack up one game ton of points, and several games without, it means nothing. You will outscore your opponents, have good PPG and same with +/-. But you still dont contribute to winning many games. Look up how many leads they blew. If we both cant find the stats, then we dont have it. This is why "outscoring opponents" and PPG and +/- is unreliable.

Bench has blown away so many leads consistently over a very long period and that was easy to see. They are not horrible, I will agree on that. But certainly not great as well. Lots of room for improvement that needs to happen.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - cjeter24 - 01-25-2020

Fair point about whether any of these guys are worth blowing all your assets on before this summer...
The question is who would be the guy you get this summer? 

I only came up with 2 guys that might be worth trading the farm for. 
The farm being: 2020 1st, 2020 GS pick, 2025 1st, Brunson/Wright, Jackson

McCollum, Beal, and maybe Buddy are the only guys that may be worth giving up a lot for that  have been whispered or talked about bing on the market. And i only include Buddy because of the recent stuff with him. Not sure you'd give up all those assets for him. 

I think the most likely options is a slowly add talent route. That seems to be the plan since this summer. 
Make a trade for a starter level player this year... (ROCO is my guy). Resign him if he's an expiring. 
Sign a midlevel guy this summer, and be opportunistic in the trade market with your pick and young assets if able through the deadline next year. 
Sign another starter in free agency 2021. Lots of starter level guys before you even get to the names we all know about.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - MavsFan41ife - 01-25-2020

Still hoping for perimeter threat pickup.

Gallinari
Roco
Bogdonavich

They would be ideal. Just don't want to give up a few core players to get them. Makes it tough without a first rounder to throw out there.

My keepers would be:

Luka
KP
THJ
Seth
DFS
Maxi
Brunson

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - StepBackJay - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 11:33 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 11:29 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: That said, we need to figure out a way to cash in Lee/TPE balance for an asset.

I'm greedy that way... Barnes has already netted Jackson, Wright, and WCS. Who would not have taken that deal last year???

Interesting.

Not amazing considering we could have gotten a better player like the State farm guy but I would have taken still no doubt. Barnes is not a winning player, glad he is elsewhere.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - cjeter24 - 01-25-2020

I like the idea of OPJ. His contract is fairly irrelevant to the Mavs past this year. You could trade Wright and Lee and make the money work. 

Replacing any of Lee's money with future money eats up all the cap space this summer so it doesn't matter what OPJ makes. 
He's expiring 2021 and we could sign him to an appropriately priced deal or sign someone else. I'm good with trading for OPJ. 

I'd still prefer trading for Lavine on that team tho. That ship has likely sailed now that he's trying on defense and putting up decent advanced offensive metrics again.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - StepBackJay - 01-25-2020

Bog got moved to the starting lineup so not sure he gets moved. Our only hope is that the Kings tend to make terrible decisions.

I like OPJ but salary matching would be a big problem.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - ItsGoTime - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 12:15 PM)omahen Wrote: Sato, as good as he is, can't replace this. I see him more as a replacement for Wright or even Curry role. OPJ is extreme risk. Injured all the time, huge contract. I am not really sure we need to take this risk to get Young and Sato. I am talking OPJ only if Markannen is on the table.
Sato may need more room to shoot, but he is the guy that takes a good amount of usage% off of Luka, which I think is needed and is not what THJ can or is providing. The other thing is Sato can drive and be a playmaker similar to Luka when the defense isn't giving him the space he needs to shoot the 3. I think the positives outweigh the negatives in that respect. Its kindof like a marginal difference that will make a major impact on a full season and playoff run IMO.

I share your sentiments about OPJ's health history, I myself am thinking up trades I'd do using KP due to the uneasiness I feel about his health. OPJ's contract ends next year though, so it's a way to see if he can get healthy under a good medical staff with a coach that listens to that medical staff and stays mindful of minutes played for his players. If that can happen, we have a player that is relatively young and can be pretty elite in his role for many years. If he passes that test, we then can give him a contract that is on par with his resurgent showing. If not, we have a $28M expiring contract for the 2021 off season.

After writing this down and thinking about it, we might be giving up more than we should. I don't think it's so much more that a couple seconds or a first from Chi doesn't bridge that gap though. The other idea might be that a 3rd team is brought in to extract that needed value. So many ways to skin a cat, so many, BTW, who is skinning cats that that phrase because a thing?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Scott41theMavs - 01-25-2020

Dan, I generally agree with your points about the bench, but we also have to acknowledge that the bench has likely been permanently broken by Powell's injury. WCS will start if Rick chooses to be intelligent about it, but he won't play as many minutes as Powell did and Maxi will have to play more. If Rick chooses not to be bright, then we either start small like in the last game or Maxi becomes a starter. Either hurts the bench. 

Regarding the Curry-Wright-Brunson logjam (any problems with our bench have to do with three of the four main guys being relatively small guards), I have a feeling that the Mavs were slotting THJ as a bench player coming into the season. The bench makes a lot more on-paper sense - and signing Wright makes a lot more on-paper sense - if the starting lineup were Luka-Wright-DFS-KP-Powell and the bench were Brunson-Curry-THJ-Maxi. I think you can throw Jackson in there in the sense that the Mavs planned on him being a lot better than he has been this year (and he was in November, to be fair). THJ turned out to be our third-best player and a smashingly good starter next to Luka. That damages the bench. I think it's clear that, by next year, one of Wright or Brunson has to be gone for value. We'll have problems on many levels otherwise.

(01-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dan, I generally agree with your points about the bench, but we also have to acknowledge that the bench has likely been permanently broken by Powell's injury. WCS will start if Rick chooses to be intelligent about it, but he won't play as many minutes as Powell did and Maxi will have to play more. If Rick chooses not to be bright, then we either start small like in the last game or Maxi becomes a starter. Either hurts the bench. 

Regarding the Curry-Wright-Brunson logjam (any problems with our bench have to do with three of the four main guys being relatively small guards), I have a feeling that the Mavs were slotting THJ as a bench player coming into the season. The bench makes a lot more on-paper sense - and signing Wright makes a lot more on-paper sense - if the starting lineup were Luka-Wright-DFS-KP-Powell and the bench were Brunson-Curry-THJ-Maxi. I think you can throw Jackson in there in the sense that the Mavs planned on him being a lot better than he has been this year (and he was in November, to be fair). THJ turned out to be our third-best player and a smashingly good starter next to Luka. That damages the bench. I think it's clear that, by next year, one of Wright or Brunson has to be gone for value. We'll have problems on many levels otherwise.

The Powell injury could have actually improved the bench in the long run if you think about it....
We all agree Powell was better suited on the bench right? If WCS gives you similar production and it's all on the bench unlike Powell, the bench is better than ever. 

I'm curious if the Mavs may have found a bit of something against Portland. DFS primarily at the 4 with another shooter at guard. The offense was getting great shots alll night long even when Portland was cutting into the deficit, they had great looks. 

Now what if we trade for a combo forward like ROCO or OPJ? 
You have the same dynamics but you can either move the shooting guard back to the bench. You likely would be dealing Brunson or Wright anyways so it would be needed. 

You have a true 5 out system with an improved defense in the starting 5 as well since Powell was fairly meh defensively and not a great shooter. and OPJ/ROCO are pretty good defenders and shooters. 

The only thing you lose is rim rolling. It's a big loss but it can somewhat be mitigated by your rotations too.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - dirkfansince1998 - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 12:20 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 12:11 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But that is not how it works. No team in the league is running all starters vs all bench lineups. Bench also doesn´t exclusively play vs bench. The Mavs only have to players averaging 30+ (starter minutes), 3 if you include DFS (29min). They have 5 more players averaging 20+ minutes.
If you think that lineups without KP and Doncic are getting blown out I would advise you take a look at lineup data. Overall the team is outscoring opponents without both on the floor and there are multiple lineups without them that have great  +/- numbers.

Again, PPG does not mean much. What means is how many games you win. If you rack up one game ton of points, and several games without, it means nothing. You will outscore your opponents, have good PPG and same with +/-. But you still dont contribute to winning many games. Look up how many leads they blew. If we both cant find the stats, then we dont have it. This is why "outscoring opponents" and PPG and +/- is unreliable. 

Bench has blown away so many leads consistently over a very long period and that was easy to see. They are not horrible, I will agree on that. But certainly not great as well. Lots of room for improvement that needs to happen.

I don´t buy it. The Mavs are blowing leads but just blaming it on the bench isn´t working because the Mavs lineups are mixed up. Bench players next to starters and vice versa. At some point the sample size for +/- reaches a point where individual games barely make an impact. It´s not like they outscore opponents by 50 in one game and get outscored by 5 in the next 10 games.
You are basing your entire argument around an opinion but don´t provide any facts to back it up. That´s what happens in every single gamethread. The opponent grabs an offensive rebound. Next to post are telling us that the Mavs cannot rebound. Fact check reveals that they are a pretty good rebounding team.

This is my last attempt: Bench net rating

vs Celtics1: -5.6
vs Celtics2: +4.1
vs Nets: + 11.0
vs Hornets: -9.1
vs Bulls: +3.8
vs Cavaliers1: +45.7
vs Cavaliers2: +23.6
vs Nuggets1: + 13.6
vs Nuggets2: -7.1
vs Pistons: -9.9
vs Warriors1: +15.7
vs Warriors2: +13.5
vs Warriors3: +0.1
vs Rockets: +0.1
vs Clippers1: -6.0
vs Clippers2: +2.4
vs Lakers1: +12.0
vs Lakers2: -3.6
vs Lakers3: -1.3
vs Lakers4: -8.2
vs Grizzlies: +19.3
vs Heat: +1.3
vs Bucks: -3.0
vs Timberwolves: +22.8
vs Pelicans1: +32.8
vs Pelicans2: +5.0
vs Pelicans3: +22.2
vs Knicks1: -2.5
vs Knicks2: -5.0
vs Thunder: +0.1
vs Magic: +4.4
vs 76ers: -0.8
vs Suns: +9.7
vs Blazers1: -3.0
vs Blazers2: +4.5
vs Blazers3: +0.2
vs Kings1: -3.3
vs Kings2: -10.8
vs Spurs1: -1.8
vs Spurs2: -1.0
vs Raptors 1: 0.0
vs Raptors 2: -13.4
vs Wizards: +10.6

24 positive net ratings
19 negative net ratings
1 neutral

I am done for today. Time to take a break.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - BigDirk41 - 01-25-2020

I absolutely don't want THJ traded unless it nets a true 3rd star. He's been unbelievable with Luka and he doesn't need the ball a lot. He's been a deadly shooter and like others mentioned his release is really quick. He's the perfect complimentary player imo. He plays with energy, hustles all the time and gets hotter than anyone in the league when he's on. This would have sounded insane prior to this season, but he's changed my opinion of him drastically. I hope he's a Mav for a long long time.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Hypermav - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 01:55 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This would have sounded insane prior to this season, but he's changed my opinion of him drastically. I hope he's a Mav for a long long time.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - omahen - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 01:55 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I hope he's a Mav for a long long time.

I don't mind him being traded. However, as you have said:

(01-25-2020, 01:55 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I absolutely don't want THJ traded unless it nets a true 3rd star.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - Scott41theMavs - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 01:07 PM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 12:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dan, I generally agree with your points about the bench, but we also have to acknowledge that the bench has likely been permanently broken by Powell's injury. WCS will start if Rick chooses to be intelligent about it, but he won't play as many minutes as Powell did and Maxi will have to play more. If Rick chooses not to be bright, then we either start small like in the last game or Maxi becomes a starter. Either hurts the bench.

The Powell injury could have actually improved the bench in the long run if you think about it....
We all agree Powell was better suited on the bench right? If WCS gives you similar production and it's all on the bench unlike Powell, the bench is better than ever.

I'm curious if the Mavs may have found a bit of something against Portland. DFS primarily at the 4 with another shooter at guard. The offense was getting great shots alll night long even when Portland was cutting into the deficit, they had great looks.

Now what if we trade for a combo forward like ROCO or OPJ?
You have the same dynamics but you can either move the shooting guard back to the bench. You likely would be dealing Brunson or Wright anyways so it would be needed.

You have a true 5 out system with an improved defense in the starting 5 as well since Powell was fairly meh defensively and not a great shooter. and OPJ/ROCO are pretty good defenders and shooters.

The only thing you lose is rim rolling. It's a big loss but it can somewhat be mitigated by your rotations too.

Cjeter, you were missed. I'm damn glad you're here.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - burekemde - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 01:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t buy it. The Mavs are blowing leads but just blaming it on the bench isn´t working because the Mavs lineups are mixed up. Bench players next to starters and vice versa. At some point the sample size for +/- reaches a point where individual games barely make an impact. It´s not like they outscore opponents by 50 in one game and get outscored by 5 in the next 10 games.
You are basing your entire argument around an opinion but don´t provide any facts to back it up. That´s what happens in every single gamethread. The opponent grabs an offensive rebound. Next to post are telling us that the Mavs cannot rebound. Fact check reveals that they are a pretty good rebounding team.

24 positive net ratings
19 negative net ratings
1 neutral

dirkfan, thanks for digging this up, must have taken a while. It does support what i am trying to convey. Almost half of the games, the bench are losing the battle against the others. Of the 24 "positive" ratings, by far majority fall into the group of around +0.1-4. Thus they are very similar level to the other teams bench.

Their main rating and "PPG" comes from very few games where they were flat out amazing: +22, +33, +23, +19, +24, +45. Thats GREAT games. That inflates all the total stats over the season. The rest of season is either negative, mediocore or just slightly in positive. Pretty much close to the other teams bench or even negative.

To make illustration a great great bench is the one that consistently could pull of +4-+10 ratings. That would be winning games regularly for us.

In conclusion they are mediocore or slightly above average. I just dont see how they are one of the best bench units in NBA, by these stats or by eye test. We had high expectations that this would be the best bench unit in NBA. It is not like this for sure.

Also the great games they had must also not be taken away, so I am going to give you and them the credit. They are not horrible indeed. But they can improve. And if we add lets say Covington and DFS goes to bench i am pretty sure they will perform better.

(01-25-2020, 02:57 PM)burekemde Wrote: And if we add lets say Covington and DFS goes to bench i am pretty sure they will perform better.

I fall somewhere in the middle on this - my earlier post was an attempt to outline why I believe the bench is "struggling" to the extent it is. This point you make here is a fantastic one - any trade that benching DFS helps the Mavs enormously, because then they actually have a wing to bring off the bench, as opposed to Maxi and three relatively small guards.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing help - dirkfansince1998 - 01-25-2020

(01-25-2020, 02:57 PM)burekemde Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 01:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t buy it. The Mavs are blowing leads but just blaming it on the bench isn´t working because the Mavs lineups are mixed up. Bench players next to starters and vice versa. At some point the sample size for +/- reaches a point where individual games barely make an impact. It´s not like they outscore opponents by 50 in one game and get outscored by 5 in the next 10 games.

24 positive net ratings
19 negative net ratings
1 neutral

dirkfan, thanks for digging this up, must have taken a while. It does support what i am trying to convey. Almost half of the games, the bench are losing the battle against the others. Of the 24 "positive" ratings, by far majority fall into the group of around +0.1-4.  Thus they are very similar level to the other teams bench.

Their main rating and "PPG" comes from very few games where they were flat out amazing: +22, +33, +23, +19, +24, +45. Thats GREAT games. That inflates all the total stats over the season. The rest of season is either negative, mediocore or just slightly in positive. Pretty much close to the other teams bench or even negative.

To make illustration a great great bench is the one that consistently could pull of +4-+10 ratings. That would be winning games regularly for us.

In conclusion they are mediocore or slightly above average. I just dont see how they are one of the best bench units in NBA, by these stats or by eye test. We had high expectations that this would be the best bench unit in NBA. It is not like this for sure.

Also the great games they had must also not be taken away, so I am going to give you and them the credit. They are not horrible indeed. But they can improve. And if we add lets say Covington and DFS goes to bench i am pretty sure they will perform better.

Negative net rating for the bench doesn´t mean that the starters performed any better. See the Lakers or Clippers games for example. And no the majority of the "positive" games don´t fall into the +0.1-4 range. They are +10 or better in 12 games. Only -10 or worse 2 times. Also don´t confuse net rating with raw +/-. There is no +/- for the bench only for lineups.
Our bench just like the starters struggles against the best teams in the league and obviously on average performs better against weaker opponents.

Of the names I have seen bounced around to me Iguodala still seems the most likely. Crowder is another name I like, I am not seeing any hints of Mavs interest yet though. He is playing pretty big minutes for them and they aren't exactly tanking so he could be hard to pry away. Marcus Morris is another guy that could be available. 

I think if you are willing to give up the GSW pick you can definitely get a guy. Mavs can't bank on buyout market because there are several contenders ahead of them in the pecking order that would get anybody good.

The last guy I like so far is Tony Snell. Pistons could be in sell-off mode, they certainly have been linked to many rumors. The beauty of Snell is that he's on the books for next year (believe he has a PO he will likely pick up) so he becomes a trade chip next year.

(01-25-2020, 03:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: he last guy I like so far is Tony Snell

Snell is not an upgrade over anything we have and we don't need another rotation player, as we already don't have enough minutes.