MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - ClutchDirk - 01-24-2020

Bleacher Report's Eric Pincus broke down Iguodala's trade possibilities Friday and mentioned both the Lakers and Clippers as potential destinations. He noted that the Lakers likely won't be a factor unless Iggy is bought out, though, because of their lack of draft pick assets.

Pincus also named the Philadelphia 76ers, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns and Sacramento Kings as contenders, but he called the Dallas Mavericks "a potential favorite" since they can use Courtney Lee's expiring contract as part of the deal.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - SkenfromLMF - 01-24-2020

Dallas has long been linked to Iggy, but Iggy has repeatedly thought of Dallas as similar to Memphis as far as HIS fit goes.

I see Dallas trying to fill in the need for not one but 2 bigs and helping Miami land Iggy:

Dallas trades: Lee and Jackson to Memphis; Broekhoff to Miami
Miami trades: Olynick (Barnes TPE) and Leonard to Dallas (Dallas receives right to swap one year of 1st rd picks in the next 3 years)
Memphis trades: Iggy to Miami; Crowder to Dallas (Dallas receives a Memphis 2nd rd pick)

Biggest drawback is what this would do to Miami's big man rotation.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:14 PM)omahen Wrote: According to Shams Mavs are first looking to free up a roster spot for flexibility. I wonder if we can move Bro or Roby for a second. Otherwise it is very likely they will have to cut one of them.
Antonious Cleveland is still a Mav last I checked.  No one would blink an eye if he were to be cut.  I don't see the issue with creating a roster spot.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - omahen - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:49 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:14 PM)omahen Wrote: According to Shams Mavs are first looking to free up a roster spot for flexibility. I wonder if we can move Bro or Roby for a second. Otherwise it is very likely they will have to cut one of them.
Antonious Cleveland is still a Mav last I checked.  No one would blink an eye if he were to be cut.  I don't see the issue with creating a roster spot.
 He is 2way. Doesn't count

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - Jym - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:49 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:

.He and Reaves are 2 way players so they dont really count

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - Fuerza1 - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 02:47 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Dallas has long been linked to Iggy, but Iggy has repeatedly thought of Dallas as similar to Memphis as far as HIS fit goes.
Iggy had legit interest playing here before. He originally committed to sign with the Mavs after his DEN season; he thought it was a done deal until Golden State called at the last minute and heard them out. The rest is history. 

I'd say we were less desirable back then than we are now. My best guess is that he wouldn't mind playing here, especially when there is potential for a big role on a playoff team.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - ItsGoTime - 01-24-2020

All speculation until he says something specifically about where else he would play (besides Cal). What if Dal is not good enough for his particular wants? Mem, we know isn’t. Why would Dal be? Just not sold on him at all. Would rather overpay OPJ if he will be ready for the playoffs.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - Scott41theMavs - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 03:14 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 02:47 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Dallas has long been linked to Iggy, but Iggy has repeatedly thought of Dallas as similar to Memphis as far as HIS fit goes.
Iggy had legit interest playing here before. He originally committed to sign with the Mavs after his DEN season; he thought it was a done deal until Golden State called at the last minute and heard them out. The rest is history.

I'd say we were less desirable back then than we are now. My best guess is that he wouldn't mind playing here, especially when there is potential for a big role on a playoff team.

Hey, Fuerza, good to see you back here. I think that what has changed is Iggy. He only wants a team that can legit win a ring this year. Dallas's current roster plus Iggy is nowhere near legitimate contention.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - StepBackJay - 01-24-2020

Iguodala doesn't get to choose where he wants to go unless he wants to give up a lot of money in a buyout which he doesn't want to do. If Mavs get him he is going to play.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - Scott41theMavs - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 03:54 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Iguodala doesn't get to choose where he wants to go unless he wants to give up a lot of money in a buyout which he doesn't want to do. If Mavs get him he is going to play.

That's not stopping him from sitting on his hind end - and not even reporting, practicing, or anything to my knowledge - in Memphis. If Dallas gets him and he doesn't want to be here, he will *not* play, or play and be a locker room problem. Hard to see why the Mavs would want that.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - mavsluvr - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 03:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: All speculation until he says something specifically about where else he would play (besides Cal). What if Dal is not good enough for his particular wants? Mem, we know isn’t. Why would Dal be? Just not sold on him at all. Would rather overpay OPJ if he will be ready for the playoffs.
I get the issue that he might not want to play in Dallas. I assume that the Mavs won't acquire him unless they secure a commitment from him that he will play for the remainder of his contract.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - StepBackJay - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:00 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 03:54 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Iguodala doesn't get to choose where he wants to go unless he wants to give up a lot of money in a buyout which he doesn't want to do. If Mavs get him he is going to play.

That's not stopping him from sitting on his hind end - and not even reporting, practicing, or anything to my knowledge - in Memphis. If Dallas gets him and he doesn't want to be here, he will *not* play, or play and be a locker room problem. Hard to see why the Mavs would want that.

He came to a mutual agreement with Memphis at the beginning of the season that suited both parties. Everyone thought (including Memphis) that they would be bad. He didn't want to run around with a bunch of kids. They have been flirting with an 8th seed which has been a surprise. They thought he would be fine on the shelf bc he was a trade dump anyway and they could turn around and flip him for a small asset. If he plays and gets hurt it doesn't really help anybody.

Players can't just decide to not play. Yes short term you could have a DSJ fake an illness or something like that but players are under contract and get paid to play. Furthermore Dallas is not some bad team, they will be in the mix for a top playoff seed. He is not going to complain because he has to play for a playoff team for 5 months. He's a professional. He can go to a different team next year but he's not going to demand to sit just because the team isn't the Lakers. That would look terrible on him and would be an indefensible position to take. I don't think for a second the Mavs would hesitate to get Iguodala if that's the guy they want.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - mavsluvr - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Players can't just decide to not play.
Lamar Odom says hi. Not that I put Iggy in his category, lol.

Iguodala isn't LeBron. He doesn't get to have it both ways and say no I won't take a discount on 17 million! dollar contract but you have to buy me out. Houston and the Lakers can't trade for him. The Clippers probably could with Harkless but they might opt for something better. If the Clips don't trade for him his only leverage is to give more up in a buyout. Otherwise he can't say well I will just sit out if I don't get to go to a team that wants me. There's no way.

(01-24-2020, 04:18 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 04:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Players can't just decide to not play.
Lamar Odom says hi. Not that I put Iggy in his category, lol.

I don't remember the entire Lamar situation other than he was terrible when he came here and his life was falling apart. Definitely doesn't compare with this situation at all. And I haven't heard anything from him or reporters saying he will only play for a handful of top tier contenders.

Just because he's not playing for Memphis who clearly is not even close to contention doesn't mean he won't play for Dallas. That is just speculation that's far off from reality.

(01-24-2020, 02:29 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Bleacher Report's Eric Pincus broke down Iguodala's trade possibilities Friday and mentioned both the Lakers and Clippers as potential destinations. He noted that the Lakers likely won't be a factor unless Iggy is bought out, though, because of their lack of draft pick assets.

Pincus also named the Philadelphia 76ers, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns and Sacramento Kings as contenders, but he called the Dallas Mavericks "a potential favorite" since they can use Courtney Lee's expiring contract as part of the deal.

Lol Suns and Kings huh, okay sure.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - ItsGoTime - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:19 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: That is just speculation that's far off from reality.
Mem expected him to play for them until they came to an "agreement", he actually said he would not report for training camp and would not play for any team outside California. That is the only "reality" we know for sure right now. The actual reality might be different now, but there is no sure way of knowing unless he is asked directly about his thoughts on coming specifically to the Mavs. 

He may or may not even sign another contract next year, so why would he care if he's traded somewhere where he believes he has no chance to get a championship? What changes in that scenario? Why is that so far-fetched? 

Only thing I can agree with is that if the Mavs were looking to trade for him, they'd need to have a conversation with him to make sure he would actually play out his contract. We have no reports of this happening, so all there is is speculation (on all sides of this). You don't think some speculation is based on reality, others do. I don't see anyone saying definitively what would happen, just hope that it wouldn't happen and basing trade assets on that possibility.

This is all speculation. Either he comes here or he doesn't. I don't think the Mavs need to get his permission and I don't believe they will do so. It's just a matter of whether they want to trade something to get him. We have seen conflicting reports all year on that.

I laugh at the idea that the Mavs have "no shot" at contention. If not for multiple injuries Mavs could be at a 2nd or 3rd spot in the West record-wise and still might get there with a good move or two. It's kind of ridiculous to me to think anyone would say they don't have a shot. You say that about a 7th or 8th seed. I know we don't have LeBron or Kawhi but neither does Denver or Utah and they still have a "shot" at contention because they're very good teams.

(01-24-2020, 04:19 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't remember the entire Lamar situation other than he was terrible when he came here and his life was falling apart. Definitely doesn't compare with this situation at all. And I haven't heard anything from him or reporters saying he will only play for a handful of top tier contenders.

Just because he's not playing for Memphis who clearly is not even close to contention doesn't mean he won't play for Dallas. That is just speculation that's far off from reality
Actually, it does compare. The guy went AWOL, lied about his father being sick, and refused to show up or play, as he wanted to leave. Cuban ultimately sent him home and paid him for the rest of the season. Players actually do manage to force themselves out of situations, and Iggy did that in this case. 

Not saying that Iggy has as poor a character as Odom. It would hard to compete with that level of slime. I agree that Iggy might be willing to play for Dallas, even though he is not willing to play for Memphis. Just that, due to the circumstances, I think the Mavs would do well to get a firm commitment ahead of time before pulling the trigger, rather than just assuming he will play here. 

I would be fine with Iggy coming, if it didn't cost any significant assets. I don't think he is going to be any kind of difference-maker, but his championship experience might be valuable as a learning tool for the young Mavs in the playoffs.

Lamar was also God-awful on the court when he played so Mavs weren't that keen on bringing him back. Our best comp is something that happened 7 or 8 years ago? At this point I hope the Mavs do try to get him so we kind find out definitively whether he's that big a crybaby that he would sit out even for a top tier playoff team.

(01-24-2020, 05:28 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Lamar was also God-awful on the court when he played so Mavs weren't that keen on bringing him back. Our best comp is something that happened 7 or 8 years ago? At this point I hope the Mavs do try to get him so we kind find out definitively whether he's that big a crybaby that he would sit out even for a top tier playoff team.
Just one example out of many where a player did refuse to play, and ended up forcing his way out and getting paid anyway. It's a risk with a dissatisfied player. The Grizz contemplated Iggy playing for them when they acquired him, but no dice. 

I don't have any interest in getting Iggy just to find out whether he would play with us. I can see how his experience could be valuable in terms of helping the young guys learn for the rest of the season and the playoff run, however. On the assumptions that he would be a very short-term guy and that he would not be the missing piece that would lead the Mavs to a title, I wouldn't give up anything substantial for him, though, and will be surprised if any other team does, other than maybe the LA teams, where he actually wants to play. 

He is an intriguing piece, with a number of pros and cons.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL looking for wing & big help - JamesConway - 01-24-2020

https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/1220834731518058497?s=21