MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Dirkster21 - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 06:54 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: We need a couple of darn big bodies. G League players are fine too.  KP is coming off a long layoff. He cannot play heavy minutes.  The Mavs need some 10 day contracts and can worry about long term options later.
Yeah. I was looking at the Texas Legends Roster to see what kind of big bodies they have. I don’t know anything about this guy. Madit Tieny Dak. He’s from South Sudan, 6’11, 200lbs. They could give him a try?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - BigDirk41 - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 06:22 PM)Baller AI Wrote: It was so obvious Powell was being asked to do too much and was overworked. I said this 2 weeks ago and now look what happened. The day Porzi finally get back from his injury, Powell out for season. Sick of the Mavs putting players in situations they are not equipped for, if they don't change their philosophy and mindset, this will continue to happen..
I 100% disagree. There's absolutely no data to prove this. He was playing normal starter minutes. He wasn't playing 35-40 minutes a night. The Mavs shouldn't face any blame for this. The Mavs have one of the best medical staffs in the entire NBA. They also love Powell almost like he's their own child. They would never risk his health. Look at how cautious they were with KP. I get being mad or disappointed about the injury, but don't blame the Mavs for a freak injury. 

Now with KD's injury I could understand wanting to blame the Warriors, but it was still KD's choice to play.  I see no blame for Powell.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Baller AI - 01-22-2020

Mavs need to go for ROCO/Dieng, Bogdanovic/Dedmon, or CP3/Adams

All of the above are wasting away on incompetent teams and trading for them would be beneficial to both parties. Ideally we don't lost anything more than a combination of Wright/Jackson/Lee/GS 2nd/Utah 2nd

This reduces the pressure on our current roster and hopefully will help prevent more injuries to our, already thin prior to Powell injury, frontline and wings.

(01-22-2020, 06:39 PM)radioaktiv Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 06:22 PM)Baller AI Wrote: It was so obvious Powell was being asked to do too much and was overworked. I said this 2 weeks ago and now look what happened. The day Porzi finally get back from his injury, Powell out for season. Sick of the Mavs putting players in situations they are not equipped for, if they don't change their philosophy and mindset, this will continue to happen..

Posting this in 2 different threads doesn't make it true.  Where's your quantifiable data that Dwight Powell is "overused" in the context of the rest of the NBA?
 Niether Powell or KP can rebound or defend the likes of Embiid/Howard/AD/Giannis/Drummond and other massive bigmen. Asking them to do so puts tremendous strain on their bodies. KP is a power forward, he is not able to bang donw low, and Dwight Howard injuring him was a byproduct of that. Dwight Powell was legit the only guy on our roster able to bang with them at an okay level. This team is top heavy at the guard position and needs more bigmen. Now its too late kinda, but hopefully they learn from it. Common sense isn't so common anymore I guess. When KP went down, Dwight Powell was the only center on our roster and he is slightly undersized. He did well considering the circumstances, but obviously it got to him physically. To have no KP insurance is just idiotic and the Mavs knew he had an injury history, yet decided to say "fuck it" and run with Dwight Powell as the only true center on our roster. (I'm sorry but Boban is too limited and situational to be a true backup)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 07:40 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Niether Powell or KP can rebound or defend the likes of Embiid/Howard/AD/Giannis/Drummond and other massive bigmen. Asking them to do so puts tremendous strain on their bodies. KP is a power forward, he is not able to bang donw low, and Dwight Howard injuring him was a byproduct of that. Dwight Powell was legit the only guy on our roster able to bang with them at an okay level. This team is top heavy at the guard position and needs more bigmen. Now its too late kinda, but hopefully they learn from it. Common sense isn't so common anymore I guess. When KP went down, Dwight Powell was the only center on our roster.

I can kind of see what you're saying here. The offseason strikes again.

If they weren't going to play Bobi, why sign hiim? Never mind, the answer is obvious - Luka's friend, and publicity.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Jommybone - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 12:40 PM)JamesConway Wrote: There are a bunch of avenues we can go down:

- cheap FA additions like Faried, Justin Patton

- minor trade targets like Cauley-Stein, maybe Willy Hernangomez?

- More expensive salary dump-type trades like Dieng, Dedmon

- Acquiring a big name like Drummond, maybe Adams

Phew. I gotta say that I'm pretty on the fence.

How was Larry Sanders in Big3 play this summer?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - cow - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 07:40 PM)Baller AI Wrote: Mavs need to go for ROCO/Dieng, Bogdanovic/Dedmon, or CP3/Adams

All of the above are wasting away on incompetent teams and trading for them would be beneficial to both parties. Ideally we don't lost anything more than a combination of Wright/Jackson/Lee/GS 2nd/Utah 2nd

This reduces the pressure on our current roster and hopefully will help prevent more injuries to our, already thin prior to Powell injury, frontline and wings.

Minny probably uses RoCo to get D'Lo.  Latest reports out of Sacramento say they have no intention of trading Bog.  I don't think anyone is trading for CP3 with the next two years of his contract being 41M and 44M.  Adams contract isn't great either though a year shorter.  I wouldn't call OKC incompetent of late.  They have a a bevy of pick, trade assets and some young talent.  Considering the circumstance, they are in a prime position to rebuild.  It's a far cry from when they let traded Harden to the Rockets.

We do need multiple bigs.  If a good trade doesn't open up, I'm more than fine scouring G-League/Europe talent.   We are an up-and-coming team, not a championship caliber team.  There is no reason to make panic moves or overpay.  You'd look at a CP3/Adams trade if you were "this" close and had a limited window.  That's not what the Mavs are at this point.  

Making the playoffs and getting playoff experience should be the goal.  Anything better than that is gravy.  We can probably do that with bubble gum and duct tape at the 4/5 position.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-22-2020

I'm actually kind of surprised the Mavs didn't do *something* today. We're going to be awfully shorthanded tomorrow if there's a trade. If there isn''t a trade - wow, our big man rotation is KP, Maxi, Bobi, Jackson, and DFS.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 08:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm actually kind of surprised the Mavs didn't do *something* today. We're going to be awfully shorthanded tomorrow if there's a trade. If there isn''t a trade - wow, our big man rotation is KP, Maxi, Bobi, Jackson, and DFS.

I would really like to see how Whiteside will cover Maxi or KP. Someone will have a ton of open shots. Let's hope they make them with a decent percentage

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - cow - 01-22-2020

Don't they need to open up a roster spot?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-22-2020

Brad reporting the Mavs don't want to give up a young player to get another big. That makes sense to me especially if you thay this is a rental player. That being said you have to think at some point they will realize Powell's days as a starter are over. My guess is that they will be too optimistic he will make a full recovery. Oh well.

In the meantime I suppose they will be getting a bargain center of some kind. They have already looked at Noah who is washed up. I hope they consider Mejri who to me is an underrated player.

That GSW pick + Lee could be handy if they are willing to part with the pick for a rental. I wot venture to guess that could get you a Tristan Thompson-esque player. I still like RoCo + Dieng if that deal becomes available.

(01-22-2020, 08:32 PM)cow Wrote: Don't they need to open up a roster spot?

That's a great question. I guess in the NBA you don't have any type of injured reserve that give you a spot? I wonder if they would do G league or something by releasing Cleveland so that they wouldn't have to cut a player on the active roster.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Luka_Magic - 01-22-2020

Mejri was also my first thought. His intensity on the court could help with the Mavs who have been somewhat soft at times this year against more physical teams. 

Hate to lose our accountant here but I think they are going to have to waive Broekhoff if we bring someone in to shore up our frontcourt if we really do have to let someone go here.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - StepBackJay - 01-22-2020

Ya I do that Broekhoff could get cut depending on how things shake out.

Someone could tell me if they could replace Cleveland with another G leaguer that they could try out in lieu of making a roster move?

Also remember we are so close to the trade deadline that Mavs will be able to add some kind of player for Lee one way or another. He is a lock to be gone. We are only 2 weeks away so Mavs can make do just like they did without KP for two weeks. They don't have to cut Broekhoff just yet.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-22-2020

PF and C still represent a bit over 105 % of Orlando roster. Although half of them are injured atm. Nevertheless: Brunson+JJ for Bamba. Bamba could get decent minutes and show why he was drafted so high. Although to be honest, I wasn't really impressed with what I saw so far. He is very raw. 

List of end of bench young guys that could step up (let's say price would be a second rounder or similar). If any of these guys manages to put decent numbers in increased minutes, he becomes an asset:
Bender, DJ Wilson, Gafford, Maker, Hartenstein (g-league monster, never got a chance in Houston), Patton

(01-22-2020, 09:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya I do that Broekhoff could get cut depending on how things shake out.

It is almost certain we will need a roster spot. I would try to send him to Philly or Houston for a second round pick, as they desperately need shooters.

(01-22-2020, 09:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Someone could tell me if they could replace Cleveland with another G leaguer that they could try out in lieu of making a roster move?

I think the deadline for signing 2way players was January 15th.

So ya I wonder if we see a lot of tire kicking on all sorts of players btwn now and the deadline. Remember also that post deadline there will be buyout guys as well. Seeing as how the Mavs have held onto Lee this long I doubt they'd waive him until they saw what his contract would yield. 

The annoying thing to me is we have Roby sitting there with a very big rookie deal for a 2nd round pick and he's unplayable. Not sure why the Mavs thought that was a good use of a roster spot. For those type guys I'd rather use G league spots.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Aussiebballer - 01-22-2020

Yeah unfortunately they have Roby, Bro and now Powell on the roster not contributing with injury or DNP-CD.

Need to transfer Lee into a decent big on a 1 or 2 year deal.
Dieng probably the easiest, with or without Covington.
Wood for Detroit would actually be a great replacement but he is looking great for them at the moment and will be Drummonds replacement if they can offload him.
Dedmon could be a cheap get, in terms of assets not salary Smile

Myles Turner would be my main target, but he is a really hard player to figure out what Indy expects to get back.
Maybe a 3 team trade with the Magic..
Orlando get Lee, Jackson, Wright, GSW 2nd
Indy get Gordon, Frazier
Dallas get Turner, Sampson, Iwundu

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Mavs2019 - 01-22-2020

Wright + Boban + Broekhoff for Okogie + Dieng

They get a starting PG. We take on their bad contract for a good prospect.

Brunson + Jackson + Lee + Powell + TPE for OPJ + Felicio + Valentine.

Powell is useless for the next 18 months, so is Felicio. That´s a wash. Valentine is expiring, unlikely to be re-signed, but gives us some depth. Brunson gives the Bulls a cheap potential starting PG. Jackson is a cheap OPJ replacement, who is still owed a lot of money. Penny-pinching Bulls owner saves 10M this season.

Jazz 2nd for Willy Hernangomez.

Sign Faried

Doncic/Curry/JJB
THJ/Okogie/Valentine
DFS/OPJ/Roby
Faried/Kleber/Felicio
Porzingis/Dieng/Hernangomez

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Baller AI - 01-22-2020

I'd love to give THE MEJ a shot. Idk if ya'll remember, but the man began to hit threes towards the end of the year. He plays gritty tough defense and isn't totally useless on offense. Why not right

Still, Dieng is my ideal big to bring in, he has the most well rounded game out of any other bigs we coulda realistically grab. Oh, and hes shooting 40% from three on 2 attempts a game and had experience sharing the floor with another big in KAT.

Honestly any move to help us win now, without losing our valuable young guys, is a step in the right direction. To everyone claiming we shouldn't try to contend this season you are taking this team for granted. To assume that KP and Luka will be able to do this together for the next ten years is risky. You owe it to them to try to win now while we have the best offense ever. Dwight will be missed, but his absence doesn't make us a tanking team all of a sudden. He is replaceable, and even upgradeable. We can still win now, that goal has not changed since Powell's injury, as unfortunate as it was..

(01-22-2020, 09:05 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Brad reporting the Mavs don't want to give up a young player to get another big.

Applied to Justin in particular, this is either 1) a complete smokescreen, or 2) justification for the MBT's collection Johnson to be ripped off and shoved up their nostril by Luka and any of his teammates who want to compete.

(01-22-2020, 09:05 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 08:32 PM)cow Wrote: Don't they need to open up a roster spot?

That's a great question. I guess in the NBA you don't have any type of injured reserve that give you a spot? I wonder if they would do G league or something by releasing Cleveland so that they wouldn't have to cut a player on the active roster.

League rules allow you to have 15 regular roster players and two 2-way players. Cutting Cleveland doesn't free up anything but another 2-way slot. I don't think the Mavs can get a free extra slot from the league because they missed the deadline, but maybe that just applies to the exception money allowed and not to roster spots. I suspect that the Mavs will have to cut RFA, but if they do a trade where they send out more guys than they take back, they could sign him back afterward.

Actually, watch this. The Mavs will keep Bro because he's injured and they want to show loyalty, and will cut Lee without getting anything for him in trade (insert banghead smiley). Probably won't happen, but I wouldn't put it past this front office, so I might as well brace for the impact.

(01-22-2020, 09:33 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The annoying thing to me is we have Roby sitting there with a very big rookie deal for a 2nd round pick and he's unplayable. Not sure why the Mavs thought that was a good use of a roster spot. For those type guys I'd rather use G league spots.

I wouldn't say he's unplayable - he's doing pretty well in the G-League - but RC wouldn't play him because of the rawness and his impatience with unseasoned rookies.

Perhaps with Zion back, the Pels would be willing to do us Favors, lol.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - TXBamanut - 01-22-2020

Favors has 11/8 at halftime....he's not going anywhere for anything that we would want to give up.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - dirkfansince1998 - 01-22-2020

For all the Hernangomez fans. Is there any reason to sign either of the brothers outside of them being friends of Luka? Bad defense, not good in the pick and roll, streaky shooting. I guess Willy is the better of the two because he at least has solid rebounding numbers.