MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Jym - 01-16-2020

(01-16-2020, 10:24 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 07:10 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Covington´s situation feels a bit like DAJ and Harrell. I think Minny will just move onto the younger Culver/Okogie.

They have young and cheap Roco replacements like you said.  However, unlike DAJ, Roco is still underpaid instead of overpaid.  

What they dont have is a PG.  I just dont see a realistic scenario if we were TWolves fans we would be ok with trading our only chip that 1/3 of the league wants for a package centered around Jalen Brunson or Delon Wright.

(The Aaron Holiday rumors were not a return for Roco)

Yeah really depends on how much they value creating capspace and who else can absorb Dieng too without sending long term salary 
Player for player it's not going to be fair and frankly I dont want it to be. If it's anywhere close just stand pat

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - SleepingHero - 01-17-2020

(01-16-2020, 04:17 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Man, I tell ya, one of the best moves in Mavs franchise history, not necessarily in the particular execution but as a strategy, was to move swiftly on Porzingis and not let the Knicks negotiate with competing teams.

Covington is going to be really expensive in trade. He fits on every single team in the league, is the best non-All-Star in the league at perhaps the most coveted skill set beyond shot creation in the modern NBA, and is on a contract far below his league value. The bidding will drive the trade price ridiculously high.

I really want RoCo, and as I have said, he's the only non-top-30 player for whom I would trade more than one of Maxi, DFS, Wright, and Curry in the deal. But I'll bet the Mavs' cost to beat out all of the other teams is going to be something like three of those guys, or two of them plus our '25 first. That's a lot to pay for a guy who can't create his own shot.

100% agree with you regarding the KP trade. It was a masterful deal in the sense of how quickly it came to fruition.  

On Covington: I like Covington alot. He's one of my favorite role players. If I could just handpick a role player and plop him on the Mavs he'd 1 or 2 on my list. With that said, I'm no way touching Maxi or Curry for him. Maxi is probably our most versatile defender and losing him (and his great contract) for RoCo would be a 1 step forward 2 steps back deal to me. Curry is just one of the best 3pt shooters of all time and Mavs will be hard pressed finding someone to replicate his knack to knock it down. 

RoCo is great, but he's still just a prototypical 3-D guy. His market is so high because of the demand, but giving up other  3 ("or" in this case) D guys isn't worth it. He's not worth blowing up the core of the bench for.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 05:40 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: On Covington: I like Covington alot. He's one of my favorite role players. If I could just handpick a role player and plop him on the Mavs he'd 1 or 2 on my list. With that said, I'm no way touching Maxi or Curry for him. Maxi is probably our most versatile defender and losing him (and his great contract) for RoCo would be a 1 step forward 2 steps back deal to me. Curry is just one of the best 3pt shooters of all time and Mavs will be hard pressed finding someone to replicate his knack to knock it down. 

RoCo is great, but he's still just a prototypical 3-D guy. His market is so high because of the demand, but giving up other  3 ("or" in this case) D guys isn't worth it. He's not worth blowing up the core of the bench for.
Seems to me the value of the starting caliber player you're describing is at the very least, 2 bench players. I feel doing that is 2 steps forward for 1 step back.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - burekemde - 01-17-2020

I would never trade Maxi. He is by far our best defender and wins games, a lot of games for us. See what happened whenever he gets in the starting lineup or plays a lot of minutes, our defense improves and we win. He along with Luka and KP are the only 3 in my opinion, not for trading. Not only that be he can also rim run effectively, and shoot 3 better and better. Essentially he is far better than Powell at that Center position to play alongside KP.

On Covington. How much better than DFS is he? If a lot, he is worth giving DFS and lets say Curry. Or Brunson and Curry. If the bench players are used it might be a good deal. I would still like to add Bogdanovic also if possible. I think the offense needs someone else that can shoot but also playmaker when Luka is doubled. THJ does not cut that, he can penetrate but he cant create for others. Also Bogdanovic seems better defender than THJ from what i read. And even better shooter perhaps.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-17-2020

RoCo would be perfect, but I wouldn't touch DFS or Maxi. The rest are expendable. Minny wants to build a team of shooters to play the 5 out game. In this light, Seth could be valuable to them. RoCo and Dieng would be an absolute win as long as we don't touch DFS and Maxi. I think we can replace all other players. 

They desperately need a PG, but I am quite certain they don't see Brunson as more than a back up PG and not a long term solution. I am not sure if they see Wright as a starting caliber PG. Defensively oriented PG might be good next to his usage guys like Towns or Wiggins. However, his contract is not low. 

Moving Roco and Dieng for expiring puts means they will have over 40 million cap space in the summer. Most intriguing PG would be VanVleet and the only feasible alternative past his prime but still good Dragic. Regarding shooters I would target Harris if I was them. So here are scenarios, assuming Minny trades both Roco and Dieng to us. Roco in TE and Lee for salary matching purpose are available.

1. Minny gets Curry. They have some 34 million cap space left, but this will most likely not be enough for VanVleet and Harris
2. Minny gets Brunson and JJ. Back up PG and wing who both can decently shoot the ball. They keep around 40 mil of cap space that might be enough for both VV and Harris in the summer
3. Minny gets Wright. Same as with Curry scenario.
4. Minny gets both Wright and Curry. They can still go after either Harris or Van Vleet.

If I recap, Dallas can certainly provide cap space to Minny, if they value it. We also have some useful players or young back ups. So let's have a look what Houston or Philly can offer. Lets assume none of them wants to sell any of their core high salary guys:

1. Houston: out of their core players they have just crap. Hartenstein might be intriguing to someone, but his value is probably lower than JB or JJ. I am not sure which picks they can trade, but they are not very attractive. So, they can give some picks, can't give cap space and they have crappy players. I am not really sure they can create a better offer than Dallas without us having to sacrifice our most valuable players.

2. Philly can prepare more attractive offer. They can't give them cap space, but they have interesting young players (Thybule, Smith) they could sacrifice plus a lot of picks. 

So it comes to what Minny prefers: picks and young players or more experienced players, cap space and crappy picks. Unless Houston does something very creative, I don't see them in the run.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ItsGoTime - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 07:10 AM)omahen Wrote: However, his contract is not low. 
Disagree, his contract is low and it declines every year.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - omahen - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 08:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Disagree, his contract is low and it declines every year.

It all comes to how Minny sees him. If they see him as their long term PG solution, than price is low. If they just see him as a back-up to some other PG they would like to have, than it's not low.

(01-17-2020, 09:06 AM)omahen Wrote: It all comes to how Minny sees him. If they see him as their long term PG solution, than price is low. If they just see him as a back-up to some other PG they would like to have, than it's not low.
He's a high end backup, low end starter. His contract starting under MLE money and decreasing every year is actually great for his production.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - BigDirk41 - 01-17-2020

There's some pretty lopsided trades in our favor on here. As Dan says once you aren't sure if you would make the trade on our end, you're probably close to a workable trade. I'm all for fleecing a team, but that's more rare than common.

(01-17-2020, 10:41 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: As Dan says once you aren't sure if you would make the trade on our end, you're probably close to a workable trade.
Ummmm, I've been the one saying that.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - fifteenth - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 10:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ummmm, I've been the one saying that.

Maybe you both said it?
*insert old shrug emoji*

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - SkenfromLMF - 01-17-2020

I think lopsided is in the eye of the beholder:

The question to answer is what the goal of the trading partner is...
IF Minnesota's goal is to have enough cap space to money whip 2 key FA's this summer then getting them the most cap space is more important than getting them the best value in terms of players. From that perspective Jalen Brunson might be the highest leveraged asset Minnesota can get. He is a 2nd year player who is more experienced than his salary and years of service would indicate.

Dallas also can get Dieng off their books.

Now as bad as these assets appear because we don't think highly of anyone outside of 77, KP, and Maxi; realize that we sent much less appealing assets to NY for a much better player in KP for basically the same value (getting THJ & Lee off their books) and pipe dream.

(01-17-2020, 11:02 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Maybe you both said it?
*insert old shrug emoji*
Wouldn't doubt that, except I've been saying it to him periodically.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - fifteenth - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 11:06 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Wouldn't doubt that, except I've been saying it to him periodically.

It's kind of a compliment that you get mistaken for Dan :-)

(01-17-2020, 11:04 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I think lopsided is in the eye of the beholder:

The question to answer is what the goal of the trading partner is...
IF Minnesota's goal is to have enough cap space to money whip 2 key FA's this summer then getting them the most cap space is more important than getting them the best value in terms of players. From that perspective Jalen Brunson might be the highest leveraged asset Minnesota can get. He is a 2nd year player who is more experienced than his salary and years of service would indicate.

Dallas also can get Dieng off their books.

Now as bad as these assets appear because we don't think highly of anyone outside of 77, KP, and Maxi; realize that we sent much less appealing assets to NY for a much better player in KP for basically the same value (getting THJ  & Lee off their books) and pipe dream.
The only tangible evidence we currently have is the Teague trade in which they give up a good bench/bad for them starter who should have had at least some value in trade and traded him for space. Not sure why Graham was also included, he seems like a throw in player in a lopsided players trade. 

So, if the only evidence we have is Min trying to clear their books and roster numbers, makes me think their motivation is either clearing money for something they're gunning for in the offseason, or getting rid of #s because all the trades they're hearing teams willing to give up are all lopsided players trades. Also makes me think they're close to the deal right now by pulling the trigger on the Teague deal.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - Scott41theMavs - 01-17-2020

I like lopsided trades.

The trades for Juwon Howard, Van Exel and LaFrentz, Jamison and Walker, Jason Terry, Erick Dampier, Stackhouse-Harris-Laettner, Matrix, Butler-Haywood-Stevenson, Tyson Chandler, Luka Doncic, and KP were arguably all lopsided in the Mavs' favor - some of them, ridiculously lopsided. More of those, please.

Come to think about it, aside from the Rondo trade, the only trades I can remember where the Mavs got the short end of the lopsided stick were the Zachanelli and Nellie firesale trades - a first and an unfavorable swap for Montross, Kidd for Finley, Green, and don't-wanna-be-here Cassell, Mashburn for Thomas, don't-wanna-be-here Danilovic, and Muursepp (whose claim to fame is that Jokic looks like him), and the infamous Bradley trade, which at least allowed the Mavs to tank for Dirk. Rondo is the only major misstep since before Dirk that I can remember right now.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - BigDirk41 - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 11:02 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 10:59 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ummmm, I've been the one saying that.

Maybe you both said it?
*insert old shrug emoji*
Dan has specifically told me in one of my ideas, but sorry for not giving you credit also.

Also for the record I love lopsided trades as much as anyone. I could be wrong, but usually it seems that lopsided trades come out of nowhere. Usually guys mentioned in rumors don't go for nothing.

I meant lopsided in the sense of uneven number of players.

I think Scott might have thought I meant lopsided in the talent sense.

I'm really excited to see what Donnie can do between now and the deadline. At a minimum they need to get a serviceable player for Lee.

I have a trade question for everyone. Let's assume KP is cleared and returns soon. Who here would do a KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo as the centerpieces? Does that make us a contender?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart | DAL wants RoCo, MIN to "drive hard bargain" - ClutchDirk - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 02:13 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'm really excited to see what Donnie can do between now and the deadline. At a minimum they need to get a serviceable player for Lee.

I have a trade question for everyone. Let's assume KP is cleared and returns soon. Who here would do a KP/THJ for KAT/RoCo as the centerpieces? Does that make us a contender?
Free paths to the basket for the other team if KAT is playing Center...