MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 01-14-2020

I'm not going to lie I'd rather have Faried (if healthy) than Dwight. I am a Dwight hater tho so...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 01:10 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I am a Dwight hater tho so...

But an honest one!

Just so we can all understand just how much you hate Dwight, and for our entertainment, please rank your hatred of the following:

Lamar Odom 
Alex Rodriguez
Derek Fisher
Osama Bin Laden
Tariq Abdul Wahad
The Devil
Kiki Vandeweigh
Skip Bayless
Dwight Powell

(01-14-2020, 01:21 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:10 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I am a Dwight hater tho so...

But an honest one!

Just so we can all understand just how much you hate Dwight, and for our entertainment, please rank your hatred of the following:

Lamar Odom 
Alex Rodriguez
Derek Fisher
Osama Bin Laden
Tariq Abdul Wahad
The Devil
Kiki Vandeweigh
Skip Bayless
Dwight Powell

Dwight is definitely the least hated on the list  Tongue

I used to be a severe Dwight hater. But he has improved. Now I just disagree with his role on the team. I view Maxi as infinitely better and I believe Dwight should come off the bench.

I understand why Rick does it though. Dwight has to be paired with a great PnR ballhandler to be effective and Luka is the only one with JJB out of the rotation currently.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-14-2020

Re: "I view Maxi as infinitely better and I believe Dwight should come off the bench."

My theory is that Maxi is essentially KP's backup so when KP is off the floor they want Maxi doing KP-things (ie blocking shots, shooting 3s).

(01-14-2020, 02:28 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Re: "I view Maxi as infinitely better and I believe Dwight should come off the bench."

My theory is that Maxi is essentially KP's backup so when KP is off the floor they want Maxi doing KP-things (ie blocking shots, shooting 3s).

I'd be cool with that if we could get Maxi up to about 30 MPG

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 03:30 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 02:28 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Re: "I view Maxi as infinitely better and I believe Dwight should come off the bench."

I'd be cool with that if we could get Maxi up to about 30 MPG

Ya not sure why he doesn't get more minutes. Could be any number of reasons.

Looking at https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/dal/table/game/sort/avgMinutes/dir/desc

You have Luka at 33 mpg, KP at 31, DFS at 29, then DP at 27, THJ at 26, Maxi at 25 and so on. Especially with KP out it's surprising to see recent games of 22, 23, 27 altho he has some that get to 30 and beyond. My guess is for better or worse Mavs want him in that 25 mpg type role.

The guy whose minutes I think need to be tapered off would be Justin Jackson. At this point he is a developmental type player and also a trade asset. He has gotten a fair bit of run this season, 15 mpg and too much time at PF. I like his shooting but again he should be a fill-in guy on a contending team. If you can replace Jackson with any number of better fitting PFs, preferably ones that play defense I think you are in better shape.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 01-14-2020

We now interrupt our regularly scheduled bickering about Powell (he sucks, no he's great, no he sucks) to talk a little capology and strategy...

In Hollinger's piece yesterday in The Athletic he put out a list of players teams SHOULD be targeting in trade.  In the middle of his piece was this little gem:

"Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Charlotte – What?!?!?! Hear me out. Kidd-Gilchrist could be a sneaky piece for teams that find themselves blocked from trading for high-salary players.

There are several teams that don’t have enough matching salary to acquire players with high-teens salaries like Andre Iguodala, Evan Fournier or Dennis Schröder. But most of them have juuust enough to swing a deal for Kidd-Gilchrist.
Why does this matter? Because teams could conceivably do back-to-back trades that acquire MKG and then legally turn and flip him for a player like Iguodala – the rare but occasionally useful “stepladder” trade. (We did a kind of similar thing in Memphis in 2015, when we didn’t have a trade exception big enough to acquire Matt Barnes, but did have one big enough to acquire Luke Ridnour … who we then traded for Matt Barnes).

If the Lakers coveted Iguodala, for instance, they could package DeMarcus Cousins, Quinn Cook and Troy Daniels to Charlotte for MKG and Willie Hernangomez — generating a $9.5 million trade exception for the Hornets while saving them over $2 million in salary the rest of the season. (The Lakers can take Hernangomez into the Cousins injury exception. L.A. would likely have to throw in $1 million cash to cover Cook’s guarantee next year, if not more. Using Hernangomez to offset Cooks’ salary and taking Daniels into a minimum exception allows the trade exception to be $9.5 million – the difference between Kidd-Gilchrist’s salary and Cousins’.)

The Lakers could then turn and send Kidd-Gilchrist to Memphis straight up for Iguodala, attaching, say, second-round picks in 2023 and 2025 to finish it off. They’d finish all this with 14 players and still be $1.4 million from the tax line – enabling them to add a buyout guy with their last spot."

So, for the moment ignore his specific idea.  This is about the concept.  There are a couple of versions of this that might benefit Dallas:

TPE Based - Easy to understand.  Trade for someone making $11,925,000 or less and then trade them for someone making that number plus $5mm.  For instance, Dallas could take expiring Andre Roberson into their TPE at $10,740,000 and flip him for someone making up to $15,840,000.  Marvin Williams, for example, at $15.0mm could be had for our TPE AND Dallas might get a little something for saving OKC $10mm.

Lee based - One issue with the TPE example is you can't aggregate Roberson with anything else once you have him.  But, you can do a Lee + Something to get to a temporary player and then flip the temporary player.  For instance, Lee + Roby gets you to the expiring Tyler Johnson.  Then, Tyler Johnson can be flipped for Gallinari or Serge Ibaka.  Obviously you can send out bigger amounts in the original deal with Lee.  The main point is you can get to about a $10 million spread above your outgoing by doing this in two steps.

Thought it was worthwhile to mention as this little trick opens up some possibilities we haven't been able to reach without sending out players we want to retain.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 01-14-2020

^^^

Great ideas.  I have a few questions and I’ll use Robes (over 2 years since played)

1.  What if you do the first part does it matter if injured?

2.  What if after you do the first step (Robes) then you can’t find a partner for step 2?  Can you negotiate the 2nd part before you do the first part?  If not its a huge gamble.  If so then its a great plan as long as part 2 team follows through.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 01-15-2020

(01-14-2020, 09:23 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

Great ideas.  I have a few questions and I’ll use Robes (over 2 years since played)

1.  What if you do the first part does it matter if injured?

2.  What if after you do the first step (Robes) then you can’t find a partner for step 2?  Can you negotiate the 2nd part before you do the first part?  If not its a huge gamble.  If so then its a great plan as long as part 2 team follows through.

1.  An injured player can be traded.  2.  Yes, you can negotiate the second deal before executing the first.  In fact, I suspect you'd have all parties on the line at the same time with the league office for the trade call.  It would just be a series of trades rather than one big one.  No way you volunteer to pay the rest of Robes money (in this example) without already having step two in hand.

Some other names that fit within the TPE are Olynyk and Leonard in Miami (part of a Christ Paul deal?).  Though I suspect we'd keep either of those guys rather than sending them away for someone more expensive.

I think the more likely use would be the Lee Plus approach while using the TPE to help with trade flexibility.  Let's say Portland decides to pack it in for the year and doesn't want to pay LT.  Lee + Roby gets you to expiring Bazemore.  Maybe Portland trades one of their lower dollar players (Labissiere or Trent for example) into our TPE for Roby and for helping them save money.  Bazemore and Labissiere and the GSW #2 for Gallinari?  Bazemore covers Gallinari and OKC has a TPE for Labissiere, so they are not being aggregated.  Or, leave out Portland giving you Labissiere (they give you a second instead) and send Bazemore to OKC for Gallinari and take back Robes into the TPE as part of the price of getting Gallinari.

Note:  I doubt OKC does either deal.  I'm just trying to show how a two step trade (in this case Bazemore) can work together with our TPE to get returning players you wouldn't be able to get in a standard Lee deal without giving up additional players you might not want to give up.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 01-15-2020

^^^

Thanks, thats pretty crafty and cool.  Amazing the way teams can work things.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 09:10 AM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

Thanks, thats pretty crafty and cool.  Amazing the way teams can work things.
I learned a while ago that with math, it's mostly a matter of where there's a will, there's a way. It's why I don't put much stock in when a person says, "that's impossible". Just have to get creative with it is all, so I guess it's more like, where there's creativity, there's a way.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 01-15-2020

^^^

So true.  Presti got rid of Melo on a $28m salary and no way did I ever think that was possible.   At the time he was washed up but we got Dennis back since they wanted to go with Young.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Tyler - 01-15-2020

(01-14-2020, 08:20 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We now interrupt our regularly scheduled bickering about Powell (he sucks, no he's great, no he sucks) to talk a little capology and strategy...

After Powell put on an offensive clinic last night with 21 points on 9-9 shooting in only 24 minutes, can we all get back to talking about how unique and important Powell is to the offense?   Big Grin

Love your post about a step-up trade, BTW.  I intuitively want to thing about trading Lee for a larger expiring this year (Evan Turner?) who can be packaged for a more expensive player expiring in 2021.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 03:39 PM)Tyler Wrote: I intuitively want to thing about trading Lee for a larger expiring this year (Evan Turner?) who can be packaged for a more expensive player expiring in 2021.

Yeah I for sure see just letting Lee expire as one of the worst things we could do.
At the very least I want to swap for Ariza. 
12.8 mil in salary for 20-21 but only 1.8 mil of that is guaranteed. Looks like the waive deadline is a few days after the draft.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 03:39 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 08:20 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: We now interrupt our regularly scheduled bickering about Powell (he sucks, no he's great, no he sucks) to talk a little capology and strategy...

After Powell put on an offensive clinic last night with 21 points on 9-9 shooting in only 24 minutes, can we all get back to talking about how unique and important Powell is to the offense?   Big Grin

Love your post about a step-up trade, BTW.  I intuitively want to thing about trading Lee for a larger expiring this year (Evan Turner?) who can be packaged for a more expensive player expiring in 2021.

Having 1 good game isn't going to quiet critics. He has had a few really nice games this year but then a bunch of triple singles, low-impact, poor defensive and rebounding efforts. Do you hear anyone complaining ab THJ? He doesn't light the world on fire but he plays pretty consistently. That doesn't mean every game but enough games that he justifies his place in the starting lineup over anybody else. Powell hasn't proven that yet.

Trade deadline just 3 weeks away...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 04:20 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Trade deadline just 3 weeks away...

Day t-minus 22 and counting.

I'm torn on the one hand between patience, because the best deals for the buying teams are directly proportional, usually, to proximity to the trade deadline, and on the other hoping the Mavs make a move sooner rather than later because I think 1) it's hard to use both the TPE and Lee's expiring without making two deals, 2) I feel that the Mavs painted themselves into a corner with their grave mishandling of the offseason which makes it so that they cannot afford not to use both of those tools, and 3) it's most likely that both would be used if one of the two moves came before the deadline day.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 04:42 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I'm torn on the one hand between patience, because the best deals for the buying teams are directly proportional, usually, to proximity to the trade deadline, and on the other hoping the Mavs make a move sooner rather than later because I think 1) it's hard to use both the TPE and Lee's expiring without making two deals, 2) I feel that the Mavs painted themselves into a corner with their grave mishandling of the offseason which makes it so that they cannot afford not to use both of those tools, and 3) it's most likely that both would be used if one of the two moves came before the deadline day.

My hope is that the Mavs calculated they would get better value with MLE and TPE than they would using cap-space. We know they got Wright & Curry with MLE, TPE so if they get a third quality player for TPE that would be something. Then Lee is out there as well as a good chip. I hope they use both.

Not sure who Mavs will cut if they acquire 2 players. They have Roby locked up for multiple years for some reason. That would seem to indicate they want to keep him at least 2 seasons to see what he has before his deal becomes non-guaranteed. The other guy would be Broekhoff who's injured with an expiring deal but he could prove useful in the future. I don't think he has bird rights but might be restricted? Someone would need to help me with that, if there's any advantage to keeping him on the roster. Mavs have full MLE this offseason so they could probably bring back Broekhoff if they want to. I wouldn't expect them to be wanting to spend much this summer especially multi-year deals. So my guess is Broekhoff would be the 2nd guy cut if they wanted to make 2 moves.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 04:42 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

I wasn´t happy with the offseason but most signed role players are performing good and all of them have at least reasonable contracts. Some of them are clearly steals if you look at the current market. Especially Kleber.
On the other hand I was really angry with Donnie and Mark because they did not use the remaining capspace and decided to use the TPE instead. If my numbers aren´t completly off the Mavs had 11-12mio to work with and decided not to use it. They resigned their RFA early and punted on the opportunity to add one more rotation piece.
For example another 3&D wing or backup bigman.
As of now I will withhold my final judgement for another month and hope that they can turn the TPA into something useful.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 06:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wasn´t happy with the offseason but most signed role players are performing good and all of them have at least reasonable contracts. Some of them are clearly steals if you look at the current market. Especially Kleber.
On the other hand I was really angry with Donnie and Mark because they did not use the remaining capspace and decided to use the TPE instead. If my numbers aren´t completly off the Mavs had 11-12mio to work with and decided not to use it. They resigned their RFA early and punted on the opportunity to add one more rotation piece.
As of now I will withhold my final judgement for another month and hope that they can turn the TPA into something useful.

Hopefully Cubes goes back into winning-over-profit mode at some point. The luxury tax aversion is still scaring me

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - dirkfansince1998 - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 07:46 PM)Jym Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 06:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wasn´t happy with the offseason but most signed role players are performing good and all of them have at least reasonable contracts. Some of them are clearly steals if you look at the current market. Especially Kleber.

Hopefully Cubes goes back into winning-over-profit mode at some point. The luxury tax aversion is still scaring me

I don´t even think that was the case when they made the decision. Just like me they probably did not expect Luka to be a top 10 player in the league this season. I thought the Mavs would fight for the 7th or 8th seed. They choose the "wait and see" approach. Being opportunistic isn´t a bad thing but personally I prefer a steady longterm asset management.

I think the biggest mistake was that they did not develop a backup plan for games without KP. They talked about load management and him missing games but failed to add a backup option that RC is willing to play.