MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 04:10 AM)cow Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 03:42 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: So we are back to the summer discussion about Kemba Walker and the fact that this team needs a 3rd star player to carry a heavy workload and cover for the Porzingis injury/rest periods.

Furthermore they screwed up with the re-signing of Powell and the signing of Boban. Those two are just too much of niche players to cover Porzingis for extended minutes on either end of the floor. If you gave that money to somebody like Favors (his own injury history aside) you´d at least be well protected on the defensive end (in the absence of Porzingis).

Once they committed to Porzingis they should have had a very detailed plan on how to cover for those Porzingis rest periods. If they really thought he could go 100 games every year (regular season, play-offs, Latvian national team) they are fools.

Boban seems like a mistake since the team doesn't take advantage of his historic skillset.   Powell was an elite rim runner, is a legacy culture guy and does a lot of community work.  There was little chance that the MBT would let him walk and for those reasons, he'll probably not be traded.  He might be overpaid now, but his contract certainly isn't terrible.  We do need to figure out a way to sure about the 4/5 spot.  Jackson playing the 4 is nuts.

What does everyone's buy/sell list look like.

Buy:  Maxi, DFS, THJ
Neutral:  Curry, JJB, Bro, 
Sell:  Boban, Brusnon, Wright, Jackson, Powell, Lee

Doncic, DFS, Kleber are the only untouchable players (assuming we are not talking something outrageously one-sided for Kleber/DFS).

Everybody else is available. Strangely enough, of those, we can afford to lose THJ the least, unless we get an offensive player of equal ability back.

I´d remove Wright from a strict Sell-List, but you probably have to give up him or Curry in a trade, if you want something reasonable in return.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 04:10 AM)cow Wrote: Buy:  Maxi, DFS, THJ
Neutral:  Curry, JJB, Bro, 
Sell:  Boban, Brusnon, Wright, Jackson, Powell, Lee

Buy:  JJB
Neutral:  
Sell:  Boban, Brusnon, Wright, Jackson, Powell, Lee, Bro, Curry, THJ, Maxi, DFS

No way Barea gets traded (he can also veto trade). The rest are all available if a right opportunity comes along :-) However, I don't think there will be any major moves other than perhaps moving Lee. Too bad Bro injured himself - perhaps we could get a second rounder for him before that. I expect he will get cut (we will probably need that roster spot).

Mavs score is still above expectations but they will need to turn it around soon or we might start to worry about getting to playoffs. KP is missed, mainly because we lack a big in the rotation and they refuse to use Bobi. Games against good teams that play defense show that our bench guys (everyone not named Luka or KP) are just bench guys at the end. 

Totally agree with all the takes about bad offseason, as pointed out many times already. Powell is overpaid (not much, but still). I can understand his impact of the floor, but still, do you really have to pay this much for that? Wright is overpaid for a bench guy. Biggest dissapointment for me, I think everyone expected more from him. Why paying almost 5 million for a player that is very rarely used (Bobi) is biggest mistery to me. Mejri would play that role for min salary. Not that Bobi si a game changer in those rare minutes he plays.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - cow - 01-11-2020

I think all of the off season additions are disappointing.  I think some of that has to do with rotations.  Players need consistency.  

-Seth:  If  I hear broadcasters remark about Carlisle saying that he's an underrated one-on-one player again, I might just scream.
-Wright:  His cadence is off-beat (not necessarily a bad thing) but he doesn't shoot well enough to play alongside Luka and probably needs the ball in his hands too much for that anyway.  When he runs the show with the second unit, the team falls into this very static pattern of passing the ball but with very little movement or penetration which isn't good way to get open looks.
-Boban:  We aren't a post up team.

Then we have the regressed returning members:

-Jackson:  Short of his driving floaters, his offensive game seems to be pointing downward.
-Brunson:   While he can get his own shot, he seems more mistake prone and not really generating offense for his teammates.
-Powell:  As his #2 fan, it pains me to put him on this list.  He still all effort but boy does he seem to get stripped a lot and misses a lot of bunnies.  He also stopped shooting from outside.

Outside of Powell, I think if the above had defined roles/minutes they'd probably all perform better.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-11-2020

Do you think Lee+Brunson and/or Jackson + GSW2nd + X 2nd rounders would be enough for Fournier?

No way Orlando lets him go, unless they think they can't retain him in the summer. Fournier has a player option for next season and he might not resign or become too expensive for Orlando. He would replace either THJ or DFS in the starting line-up or even act as a 6th man. He can create so he would be better fit with the bench guys than THJ. I think he would explode in Dallas, because he is the sole outside threat in Orlando and every defense focuses on him.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - bartlettbear - 01-11-2020

Jackson playing the 4 is absurd he way closer to a 2 than a 4.

Trade for Marcus Morris sign Lance Stephenson , Marcus starts over Powell at the 4. Lance is 6th man and closes games over DfS because he really can't guard. I just understand why he a reputation as a defensive stopper.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - BigDirk41 - 01-11-2020

Luka and KP are untouchable. Everyone else should be considered to improve this roster some way. I would prefer to keep THJ, Maxi and DFS, but that may not be possible to get better players.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - hakeemfan - 01-11-2020

We need a guy who can handle the ball. I did not want another guy like CP3 who will dominate the ball in the clutch because I thought that would stunt Luka’s growth in those situations. I am changing that stance. Luka needs precisely that type of player so that he can grow. He needs to learn to accept that there might be 3-4 possessions in the clutch where he is a decoy. He also needs to move better without the ball even if he is just a decoy.

Some more size is also needed but a veteran, primary ball handler is the first ask.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 04:51 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Doncic, DFS, Kleber are the only untouchable players (assuming we are not talking something outrageously one-sided for Kleber/DFS).

No one is untouchable besides the unicorns.  Kleber and DFS are nice home grown stories, but what they do can certainly be upgraded.

January 15th opens up some trades that aren't currently possible.  Below are the players who become trade eligible Friday:

Boston Celtics Chicago Bulls Dallas Mavericks Golden State Warriors Houston Rockets Los Angeles Clippers Los Angeles Lakers Milwaukee Bucks New Orleans Pelicans Orlando Magic Philadelphia 76ers Phoenix Suns San Antonio Spurs Washington Wizards

(01-11-2020, 11:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 04:51 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Doncic, DFS, Kleber are the only untouchable players (assuming we are not talking something outrageously one-sided for Kleber/DFS).

No one is untouchable besides the unicorns.  Kleber and DFS are nice home grown stories, but what they do can certainly be upgraded.
To me players are mostly judged on their contract value. They are both by far outplaying their contracts and they each have three years left. This is like the Jae Crowder contract that was the centerpiece of a few All-Star trades. So a Robert Covington won´t be enough to put them in the trade.

I think Dario Saric is the most interesting name. Generally been disappointing for Phoenix. We know Donnie is/was a huge fan. Phoenix unlike to match him in RFA, so maybe an offer like Powell, Jackson + GS 2nd rounder could get this done. It would be pretty much cost/cap-neutral going forward. Say Saric extension costs 48/4.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-11-2020

As I posted elsewhere, I regard the Mavs roster in terms of, not that buy/neutral/sell parameter, but under what circumstances would I trade them.

1) Jackson, Lee, the seconds aside from the GSW second, and the TPE. These are our basic so-called assets at this point. None of them, apart from one or two of the seconds, had better be here at the trade deadline. You dump them for whatever you can get back. Of course, to get back something of real value (with the possible exception of Iggy), you have to include something below.
2) Cleveland. No future here, but no urgency to trade him.
3) Roby and Reeves. If the Mavs believed in these guys, they would have got minutes at this point. You throw them in for any improvement whatsoever to the 10-man. RFA is in the same category.
4) Boban, JJB. These two guys are obviously here for locker room purposes more than anything else. I am pro-Carlisle, but he horrendously misuses Boban. If someone wants either thrown in, you do it. The only caveat is that you chat with Luka about it first, because these guys are his homies. That's why they're lower here than Roby and Reeves.
5) Brunson, Powell, and the Golden State second. You include them in any deal that involves any sort of improvement to the 8-man rotation. I believe Brunson has far more value in trade than Wright because of his rookie contract and his age, and yet I firmly believe that Wright has greater medium-term value to the Mavs. Powell's contract is too big, otherwise he would be in one of the groups below. He does add something to the Mavs, but is overpaid for the bench role he ought to have.
6) This summer's first. We all know the Mavs don't value the draft enough. But how good of a player will they get with the 19th pick? Will it be a player who is ready to compete in the "right now" of Luka? I only trade the pick if the player coming back is part of the Mavs' top-7 rotation after the deal.
7) THJ. He was in category #1 at the beginning of the season. My, how things have changed. At this point, you don't trade him unless a superior player (or a younger player with far higher upside) is part of the package coming back, period.   
8) Maxi, Wright, DFS, and Curry, in that descending order of protection level. These guys are all key to anything positive to what the Mavs are doing right now and have very high value in terms of their contracts, both to the Mavs and in trade. As I have said, under no circumstances do I include any one of them in trade unless the player coming back is undeniably the third-best player on the Mavs after the trade. I only include more than one of them in a trade for a top-30-in-the-league player. I would trade two of them, in separate deals, if the two key players coming back were the 3rd and 4th best Mavs after the deals and not otherwise. BTW, Wright is by far the most unjustly bashed Mav on this board this year. 
9) The 2025 first. The Mavs had better make sure Luka is still going to be here then before they even think about trading this pick. If they choose to break that rule and roll the dice, it had better be for a top 30 player who is under contract and Bird rights for at least another year.
10) KP. Only for a top 20 player with better health.
11) Luka. Are you kidding? Zero of the 29 other teams in the league are capable right now of putting together a package which would make the Mavs the winners of the trade under any circumstances. He is the most valuable trade chip in the league right now. Zero circumstances this year and next in which you trade him, and nearly zero after that.

(01-11-2020, 11:48 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
I think Dario Saric is the most interesting name. Generally been disappointing for Phoenix. We know Donnie is/was a huge fan. Phoenix unlike to match him in RFA, so maybe an offer like Powell, Jackson + GS 2nd rounder could get this done. It would be pretty much cost/cap-neutral going forward. Say Saric extension costs 48/4.

Seems a bit generous (as in really really generous)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 05:32 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Lol ya no kidding. Doesn't even make sense. Doesn't Saric make under 3 mil this year? We are going to seems out like 15 million salary for a 3 mil player? Not even close to legal not to mention the Mavs wouldn't so this deal in a million years.

Saric value is so low you might be able to get him for spare change. Not sure what that would entail, but even Jackson for Saric might overpaying.

Saric is a 25 year old that averaged 15/7/3 while shooting 39% from three not so long ago. We get and extend him, we have no use for Powell anymore. So the question becomes do you want a max player in 2021 or keep Powell and pay Jackson 10M a year. Then it just becomes Saric for a 2nd rounder.

(01-11-2020, 08:54 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

we have no use for Powell anymore.

Good timing Shy

Powell had a good game. I have thought all year it's unlikely they trade Powell. Mavs love him for whatever reason. If we could get 3rd quarter defense from Powell all game every game he'd be a really good player. Still have to make a move or two to shore up some holes.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 10:59 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs love him for whatever reason.

I think it is quite well known why the Mavs love him:

His camaraderie, his work ethic, his unselfishness, his elite rim running, etc.

(01-11-2020, 11:10 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 10:59 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs love him for whatever reason.

I think it is quite well known why the Mavs love him:

His camaraderie, his work ethic, his unselfishness, his elite rim running, etc.

I mean elite rim running. He always has a high field goal percentage but it's hard to say elite anything a 9 ppg player. I liked Powell a lot with Maxi and JJB last year but starter Powell isn't great. He has one of these games maybe once every 5 games. If he could play defense all game long I would be on board.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - cow - 01-11-2020

Don't forget his community service.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Kammrath - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 11:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I mean elite rim running. He always has a high field goal percentage but it's hard to say elite anything a 9 ppg player.

As a roll man, league-wide, he has ranked 1st, 3rd, and 9th the last three seasons in PPP (points per possession) for those with at least 2 possessions per game as the roll man.

I'd say elite.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-12-2020

(01-11-2020, 11:58 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 11:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I mean elite rim running. He always has a high field goal percentage but it's hard to say elite anything a 9 ppg player.

As a roll man, league-wide, he has ranked 1st, 3rd, and 9th the last three seasons in PPP (points per possession) for those with at least 2 possessions per game as the roll man.

I'd say elite.

I mean I look at the eye test and he's not an NBA starter to me. I am encouraged to see him more aggressive putting the ball on the floor. He is actually really good if he has space. It catches the other team off guard. His defense is the most frustrating thing. Especially first quarter Powell tends to get lit up a bunch.

(01-11-2020, 11:31 PM)cow Wrote: Don't forget his community service.

Lol let's max him out!