MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 04:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 01:10 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Do you like this deal just as well with Maxi in place of Powell?  If you are Indy, wouldn't you rather have the floor spreading big next to Sabonis?  

If done in the summer with our first instead of the GSW #2, still good?
Yes to all, and I am a very big fan of Maxi, but Turner? I honestly don't believe IND would pull the trigger on that unless it was the best they could get, cause I'm sure they are receiving phone calls for him right now.

He's under contract for years so they don't have to do anything really.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - burekemde - 01-07-2020

Whats the opinion on Drummond? Would he fit here?

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - BigDirk41 - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 04:08 PM)burekemde Wrote: Whats the opinion on Drummond? Would he fit here?
I'm worried about the floor spacing  with Drummond, but we would for sure win the rebound battles going forward. We would also have a deadly duo on defense with him and KP. Maybe he could always be the screen setter for Luka and then roll. I think he's a good player but at the same time we could get him and our offense go to hell.

(01-07-2020, 03:12 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I agree if you want to get a guy like Myles Turner who is on a good contract as well, you would have to give up Maxi and probably more. I would definitely do it bc at that salary number you still don't have too much money necessarily tied up in bigs with Powell at 10 and Turner at 18. We need another bench stretch bigs but those can be had, albeit not at the Maxi-level quality.

Maxi + Lee would be needed likely for Turner and then you have TE to try to get a stretch big or maybe Crowder can at least give you a big wing to play PF alongside Powell.

I'd also really like to see if we could move Boban for something more useful. He is such a niche player that you don't really get to use him much except in special situations.

I like Turner but I still haven't seen anything that says the Pacers would trade him.
I've seen reports that the Pacers don't like the fit with Sabonis and Turner. I guess they see Sabonis as the better piece to keep. Those are just reports though. Could be nonsense.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 02:31 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Thanks for your updated response.  I don’t think there is a wrong answer necessarily.  I mainly wanted to point out that the need for what Maxi does is largely universal.  Nearly every team needs what he brings as either a starter or third big.  The need for what Powell does (and does at an elite level) is much more specialized.  You have to have an offensive philosophy that fits and you have to have a very specific front court mate to pair him with.  Post up bigs need not apply.  

Point is we see LOTS of trade scenarios that involve Powell and very few that involve Maxi (mainly because the genesis of most trade ideas is what we want to see).  But, realistic scenarios need to start with what the other team needs (in this case Indy).  If we are gunning for an upgrade like Turner (and he would upgrade both Maxi and Powell), I think a huge percentage of the time, the outgoing is going to need to be Maxi.

Personally, I love what Maxi is doing right now.  BUT, i deal him for Turner without hesitation and start him with KP and move Powell to third big status.  You can mix and match any combination of Powell, KP and Turner and the defense of the starting group will be incredible without giving up much if any on the offensive end IMHO.
I wrote the above then read this. Fully agree with all of this. In looking at the IND roster, they really don't have many holes, the only things I can come up with (if they were to trade Turner) is big wing depth and med sized wing depth, starting or bench. Other than that, a higher end or on par star to Oladipo, and this year's Brogdon so far.

Do you make the trade if it is Maxi and DFS for Turner? Would we need to throw in more than that for IND to bite? Are you willing to do that also? If they throw in a lesser but promising player with Turner to even out the roster number is that of interest? 

I think if you have to think about the outgoing being too much, that starts to be the right value for a guy. I think in the original proposal, that is a no brainer. The addition of Maxi still does not give me pause all that much. I guess if we are giving up our 1st rounder too, that does give me a bit of a pause. That means DFS would basically be the equivalent of Brunson and a first. I believe he currently is worth that, maybe less, like the GSW second.

Ugh, that trade straight up is $1M short. So adding Lee for McDermott works. Do we need to throw in the GSW second for that swap? So in the end, Maxi, DFS, Lee and GSW second for Turner and McDermott. Is that giving you pause, or fully not worth it to you? I think it is in the gives me pause realm. 

McDermott's addition to the bench allows me to let go of Curry, and I've already suggested DW might be better as another team's starter while allowing JB to blossom on the bench much more. Still like the value of the DW, Curry for RoCo (have to add a low salary like Naz Reid to make it work) trade. If they need more than that, we can give them a second or two.

(01-07-2020, 04:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He's under contract for years so they don't have to do anything really.
You're right, but there was a rumor that he wasn't a fit with Sabonis and they like Sabonis more, that is why there is trade speculation with him.

Edit: Doh, wrote this then read BD41's response...

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - burekemde - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 04:36 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 04:08 PM)burekemde Wrote: Whats the opinion on Drummond? Would he fit here?
I'm worried about the floor spacing  with Drummond, but we would for sure win the rebound battles going forward. We would also have a deadly duo on defense with him and KP. Maybe he could always be the screen setter for Luka and then roll. I think he's a good player but at the same time we could get him and our offense go to hell.

I agree with this. So much uncertainty. I am watching some of his last games and he seems as a very poor finisher close to the basket, not counting easy dunks. Like difficult layups and close shots etc. He would maybe clog the paint and disturb Luka more than help, unless he can roll well like Powell, then there might be potential. As I see, he is far far better defender than Powell, in fact he is quiet a good defender. Him and KP would be a force inside! But so much uncertaintly what this would mean for the offense like you write... He is not a polished player, although his passing doesnt seem that bad. I dont know, im not that sold.

Mavs are short a big, whether that's a stretch big, rim roller or large wing we need someone. Right now with KP out you have goofy starting lineups of Powell & Jackson. I think Maxi isn't starting because he's needed off the bench. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me that if KP is out Maxi would slide right into his spot. Maxi plays defense and shoots 3's just like KP. Obv KP has more to his game but Maxi is not bad at all at sliding into that role. I think this dilemma is caused by the Mavs being 1 big short. Boban is too limited to be a backup to anybody which is a real shame. I don't know why we are paying him to sit on the bench. If the Mavs had someone like Thompson you might be able to move Powell to the bench. If you had Marcus Morris it means you could either start him when KP is out or Maxi. I don't like the fact that the Mavs have to go uber-small if/when KP is out. Mavs should have planned better for this so I hope they address at the TDL.

(01-07-2020, 04:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 02:31 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Thanks for your updated response.  I don’t think there is a wrong answer necessarily.  I mainly wanted to point out that the need for what Maxi does is largely universal.  Nearly every team needs what he brings as either a starter or third big.  The need for what Powell does (and does at an elite level) is much more specialized.  You have to have an offensive philosophy that fits and you have to have a very specific front court mate to pair him with.  Post up bigs need not apply.  

Point is we see LOTS of trade scenarios that involve Powell and very few that involve Maxi (mainly because the genesis of most trade ideas is what we want to see).  But, realistic scenarios need to start with what the other team needs (in this case Indy).  If we are gunning for an upgrade like Turner (and he would upgrade both Maxi and Powell), I think a huge percentage of the time, the outgoing is going to need to be Maxi.

Personally, I love what Maxi is doing right now.  BUT, i deal him for Turner without hesitation and start him with KP and move Powell to third big status.  You can mix and match any combination of Powell, KP and Turner and the defense of the starting group will be incredible without giving up much if any on the offensive end IMHO.
I wrote the above then read this. Fully agree with all of this. In looking at the IND roster, they really don't have many holes, the only things I can come up with (if they were to trade Turner) is big wing depth and med sized wing depth, starting or bench. Other than that, a higher end or on par star to Oladipo, and this year's Brogdon so far.

Do you make the trade if it is Maxi and DFS for Turner? Would we need to throw in more than that for IND to bite? Are you willing to do that also? If they throw in a lesser but promising player with Turner to even out the roster number is that of interest? 

I think if you have to think about the outgoing being too much, that starts to be the right value for a guy. I think in the original proposal, that is a no brainer. The addition of Maxi still does not give me pause all that much. I guess if we are giving up our 1st rounder too, that does give me a bit of a pause. That means DFS would basically be the equivalent of Brunson and a first. I believe he currently is worth that, maybe less, like the GSW second.

Ugh, that trade straight up is $1M short. So adding Lee for McDermott works. Do we need to throw in the GSW second for that swap? So in the end, Maxi, DFS, Lee and GSW second for Turner and McDermott. Is that giving you pause, or fully not worth it to you? I think it is in the gives me pause realm. 

McDermott's addition to the bench allows me to let go of Curry, and I've already suggested DW might be better as another team's starter while allowing JB to blossom on the bench much more. Still like the value of the DW, Curry for RoCo (have to add a low salary like Naz Reid to make it work) trade. If they need more than that, we can give them a second or two.

(01-07-2020, 04:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He's under contract for years so they don't have to do anything really.
You're right, but there was a rumor that he wasn't a fit with Sabonis and they like Sabonis more, that is why there is trade speculation with him.

Edit: Doh, wrote this then read BD41's response...

I get the fit issue but I still haven't seen much saying they are ready to move Turner.

(01-07-2020, 04:49 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't like the fact that the Mavs have to go uber-small if/when KP is out. Mavs should have planned better for this so I hope they address at the TDL.
They go 3 guard lineup off the bench quite a bit when everyone is healthy. RC really likes to have as many ball handlers in the game as he can, the only non-guard ball handler is Luka (yes, I know he's a PG).

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 04:49 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Boban is too limited to be a backup to anybody which is a real shame.

Quickly becoming my least favorite signing of the offseason. 
Games like yesterday are exactly when our 4th big should be playing with KP out. Even Mejri would have played 15 to 20 minutes if he was still around 
Plenty of useful big guys we could have signed for 3.5 mil that Rick would hopefully play in that circumstance

(01-07-2020, 05:03 PM)Jym Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 04:49 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Boban is too limited to be a backup to anybody which is a real shame.

Quickly becoming my least favorite signing of the offseason. 
Games like yesterday are exactly when our 4th big should be playing with KP out. Even Mejri would have played 15 to 20 minutes if he was still around 
Plenty of useful big guys we could have signed for 3.5 mil that Rick would hopefully play in that circumstance

Exactly I have the same issue. I think Mejri gets some minutes in games last night, even if its 10-15 that's more than the zero minutes Bobi gets.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - BigDirk41 - 01-07-2020

This is a little off topic, but I think THJ has found his home in Dallas. I really like what he brings as our starting 2 guard. If he continues to play like he has, I see no reason to move him unless it's netting us a star player. For the record I thought he was the biggest waste of space at the start of the season.

(01-07-2020, 05:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This is a little off topic, but I think THJ has found his home in Dallas. I really like what he brings as our starting 2 guard. If he continues to play like he has, I see no reason to move him unless it's netting us a star player. For the record I thought he was the biggest waste of space at the start of the season.

Ya I agree. At this point he would be hard to upgrade. I think he is going to opt in next year, the big FA year is 2021 anyway so he can wait one more year even if he finishes strong this year. For now he's arguably your 3rd guy in terms of scoring. The beauty of him and Curry is they are like a hedge against each other. The odds of one of them going off any given night are pretty high. Rick has given Curry more minutes and tapered THJ's the nights where he isn't shooting well (which now are not quite as common as they used to be).

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - SamStetz - 01-07-2020

Also saw that Turner hired Duffy to be his agent...

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1211817511693553666?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1211817511693553666&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fclutchpoints.com%2Fpacers-news-myles-turner-switches-agents-signs-with-bill-duffy%2F

(01-07-2020, 04:49 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I get the fit issue but I still haven't seen much saying they are ready to move Turner.
Certainly hasn't been much news about it since then, that is for sure. Maybe it was a lesser source saying that. With the news of Turner hiring Duffy, maybe it was Turner's agent trying to stir something up and with that not working Turner hired another agent to do so. Maybe there is another reason, who knows, but when a high caliber player is said to be available, you better be sure us trade-monkeys will explore the possibilities.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Jym - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 05:25 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: This is a little off topic, but I think THJ has found his home in Dallas. I really like what he brings as our starting 2 guard. If he continues to play like he has, I see no reason to move him unless it's netting us a star player. For the record I thought he was the biggest waste of space at the start of the season.

I'm glad he's bounced back from that slow start since he's been starting 
In the offseason I was arguing he was a decent 10 to 12 mil a year player on the free market which really was what we needed. 
Overpaid sure but I always thought it was crazy talk when people thought he was completely useless.
Then the first several weeks had me questioning whether I was the crazy one.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Tyler - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 01:10 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Do you like this deal just as well with Maxi in place of Powell?  If you are Indy, wouldn't you rather have the floor spreading big next to Sabonis?  

If done in the summer with our first instead of the GSW #2, still good?

Thinking creatively, I could see Boston being willing to trade that Milwaukee 1st rounder for the GSW 2nd rounder and cash. The extra salary flexibility could come in handy for them with the big payroll, and there's very little difference in picks.  Then Dallas could legally trade their own 1st rounder at the deadline.

IMO Kleber, Lee, and a 1st round pick would be a very competitive offer for Turner.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - cow - 01-07-2020

I'm not sure swapping Turner for Maxi really movies the needle for this team. Your starting lineup gets better, but you also take a step backwards in your versatility. You'd still need another big to sure up the rotation and hedge your bets against injuries. Does Turner + KP + Luka let you compete for a championship this year? If the answer is no, and I believe it is, you look at opportunistic trades or smaller moves to help improve some deficiencies. We need to retain as many valuable assets as possible into the off season and combine them with our first for after the draft. Make a real push for a player like Bogdan.

Agree that THJ has found a home in Dallas. I just hope he realizes it. He needs to be the 2B or 3 option on a team to thrive. He's still overpaid but I wouldn't mind having him in the 12-15 million per range long term.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Aussiebballer - 01-07-2020

How about a 3 team trade with OKC
Dallas trade
Lee, Jackson + GSW + Utah 2nd rd picks
Recieve
Turner + Roberson

Pacers trade
Turner + Leaf
Receive
Gallinari + Mucala

OKC trade
Gallinari + Roberson + Muscala
Receive
Lee + Jackson + Leaf + GSW + Utah 2nds

OKC get a couple of 2nd rd picks, 2 young players and save a bunch of money by dumping Roberson on Dallas.
Indy swap Turner and Gallo, defense for offense. Basically comes down to how they see Turner and Sabonis fitting long term.
They may want more long term assets for Turner, as Gallo can just leave after this season.

Dallas get a great fit with Turner, good rebounder and shot blocker.
Give up picks and take on salary to make it work.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ThunderMav - 01-07-2020

^^^

Robes has now been out 2 years and 1 month.  I think he is done

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Aussiebballer - 01-07-2020

He is just included as a salary dump to get them under the tax and save $10-15 mil for OKC

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ClutchDirk - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 09:08 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: ^^^

Robes has now been out 2 years and 1 month.  I think he is done
That has been one strange and head scratching event...