MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:18 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: block shots and has overall weak defense.

He had 2 blocks and was actually very good on the defensive end Smile

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-02-2020

Opponents have started to leave Powell wide open. Guards should exploit this as a pick and roll should lead to a totally open mid range jumper, sort of like CP3 style two days ago.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 01-02-2020

The defense looked good late. Nets couldn't get anything going. Blocks don't mean good defense necessarily. He just doesn't look good out there. I hope with KP banged up Mavs finally pull the trigger on another big. Getting a Tristan Thompson type for example would be huge for this team. Bobi is just too much of a bit player. He's a fun player but you need someone you can rely on every night.

(01-02-2020, 11:20 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Does Dwight have any trade value?

No but as I've said before he is fine as your 6th man. The issue is the Mavs play him as a starter. He is too limited as a player to start.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-02-2020

Dan suggested that he did and wasn't just a system player, but I don't think he ever replied to my post asking him to detail why in real-life basketball terms aside from advanced stats. That said, I was watching Powell's picks tonight, and he is very good at that.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - IamDougieFresh - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:25 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:

Dan suggested that he did and wasn't just a system player, but I don't think he ever replied to my post asking him to detail why in real-life basketball terms aside from advanced stats. That said, I was watching Powell's picks tonight, and he is very good at that.

IMO he is completely useless without a good to elite PnR ballhandler (Luka, JJB) which really limits trade options.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - cow - 01-03-2020

We need another big in the rotation. With an injury to any of the main rotation, the lineup becomes painfully thin because of the way you have to limit Boban's minutes.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 01-03-2020

Looking only in PnR - Roll Man stats on the official NBA site (assuming we want to keep playing this style, but with someone better on D, shooter or rebounder), here are some YOUNG names who would fit very well here and could be available:

- Allen (BRO): This is a dream, but maybe with him having to share the 5 positions with Jordan he becomes available. Beast on Defense.

- Bryant (WAS): Another dream. Health is a concern, but is in almost every way better than Powell.

- Poeltl (SAS): A project. Has a LOT of good numbers in almost every department (PnR, Rebound, Blocks, Not a shooter though, but neither is Powell). Keep an eye on this guy.

- Turner (IND), Thompson (CLE), Biyombo (CHA): Have a high PnR usage (27%) but not a good Score Freq (50%). Fault could be on the ball-handler (Brogdon, Sexton and Rozier). With Luka I'm sure those efficiency numbers would rise.

- Valanciunas (MEM), Drummond (DET): Not know for their roll-man usage (16%) but in our system they could adjust their playstyle to receive more of those.

- Honorable mentions: Wood (DET), Robinson (NYK), Hayes (NOP), Holmes (SAC), Boucher (TOR).

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - omahen - 01-03-2020

Since GSW needs to move some guys (or release Chriss) to sign their two way guys, what about Burks? Very decent production in his increased role. A second rounder or two should be enough and they wouldn't want players back. We would need to release The Accountant, though. 

Alternative would also be Looney, but I am not sure what's the status with his injury.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - JamesConway - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 09:31 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Looking only in PnR - Roll Man stats on the official NBA site (assuming we want to keep playing this style, but with someone better on D, shooter or rebounder), here are some YOUNG names who would fit very well here and could be available:

- Allen (BRO): This is a dream, but maybe with him having to share the 5 positions with Jordan he becomes available. Beast on Defense.

- Bryant (WAS): Another dream. Health is a concern, but is in almost every way better than Powell.

- Poeltl (SAS): A project. Has a LOT of good numbers in almost every department (PnR, Rebound, Blocks, Not a shooter though, but neither is Powell). Keep an eye on this guy.

- Turner (IND), Thompson (CLE), Biyombo (CHA): Have a high PnR usage (27%) but not a good Score Freq (50%). Fault could be on the ball-handler (Brogdon, Sexton and Rozier). With Luka I'm sure those efficiency numbers would rise.

- Valanciunas (MEM), Drummond (DET): Not know for their roll-man usage (16%) but in our system they could adjust their playstyle to receive more of those. 

- Honorable mentions: Wood (DET), Robinson (NYK), Hayes (NOP), Holmes (SAC), Boucher (TOR).
I don't want to beat the old drum too much, but man did I call it about Mitchell Robinson. Many other posters here wanted him, too. Looking back Brunson was clearly a good pick, but selecting Robinson would have been even better. He'd be terrific here alongside KP.

Hopefully NY does to him what they do with every servicable guy and just alienate him so that we can swoop in one day

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - cjeter24 - 01-03-2020

I still don't get why we still gripe about Dwight year after year lol. 
He's a solid role player with an excellent skill set in one area. Useful to have and you need guys like him. Is he a bit overpaid? Sure. But he's also elite at what he does, so I don't mind paying a bit extra for it. A guy like Curry is underpaid so it usually evens out a bit for the role player salaries. 

That being said, I'm not opposed to trading him in right deal.

I really hope we aren't in on Drummond in any way... It just doesn't make sense with our roster. I think its clear late we really need that 3rd scoring piece that's there every night. THJ has been that piece but has had his upside downs. He's been a really solid guy this year but he should not be your #3 still. 

A combo 3/4 that score and defend is still the guy we need. I still don't have any other names there other than ROCO.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Dundalis - 01-03-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:22 PM)omahen Wrote: Opponents have started to leave Powell wide open. Guards should exploit this as a pick and roll should lead to a totally open mid range jumper, sort of like CP3 style two days ago.

It would be ideal if we could trade him for a long 3&D wing in the DFS mold. I genuinely think we can roll with KP, and a bunch of long wings/guards, with Kleber who's been flat out balling and Boban as the bigs off the bench. We don't NEED another big man, or even one to replace Powell if he's traded. Stock up on those long wings who can do multiple things on the court. Let Boban play when we need stretches against opposition bruisers, or even just let them do whatever they want. I'll bet on our offense over whatever some bruiser big can do to us inside. We will abuse them on offense when they can't guard us 5 out.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Mapka - 01-04-2020

(01-03-2020, 08:09 PM)Dundalis Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 11:22 PM)omahen Wrote: Opponents have started to leave Powell wide open. Guards should exploit this as a pick and roll should lead to a totally open mid range jumper, sort of like CP3 style two days ago.

It would be ideal if we could trade him for a long 3&D wing in the DFS mold. I genuinely think we can roll with KP, and a bunch of long wings/guards, with Kleber who's been flat out balling and Boban as the bigs off the bench. We don't NEED another big man, or even one to replace Powell if he's traded. Stock up on those long wings who can do multiple things on the court. Let Boban play when we need stretches against opposition bruisers, or even just let them do whatever they want. I'll bet on our offense over whatever some bruiser big can do to us inside. We will abuse them on offense when they can't guard us 5 out.

We can have an offensive rating about 110 or 120 if you think we can get any better. 
Letting a bruiser do what he wants is a 200 offensive rating. 
So I would prefer to have some Defense -  thank you. 

Not talking about no transition offense without any stops.

And by the way, the beauty of KP and Luka is playing three bigs and still have enough spacing.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 01-04-2020

Almost missed this (and did miss the "he never replied" post).  Boy, did I pick the wrong day to mount a defense of Powell  Wink.

With that said, let's not act like advanced stats are some form of Voodoo Economics.  I can understand a distrust of the formula based stats like PER or Win Score where he's averaged a WAY above average 18 on PER and .179 on WS as a Maverick.  Formula's have flaws and you can always look at the rankings and say "yeah, but what about so and so...clearly the formula is flawed".  But, Box Plus Minus and VORP also show Powell to be substantially above average.  At some point when the numbers tell a consistent story you have to wonder if it is the eye test that is failing us.  But, let's set aside ALL of the formula based data.

There is absolutely no denying that something good happens when Powell is on the floor.  His O Rating is has averaged a stunning 126 during his time as a Mav (and consistently over 120) during good times and bad.  He has the highest Net on/off on the team this year (the offense is better and the defense is better when he's on the court).  Is the ultimate goal for Powell to excel at (fill in the blank box score stat) or is it for the TEAM to have a positive spread over its opponent?  Yeah, but Powell sucks at rebounding...but the TEAM gets 50.7% off all boards when Powell is in and 50.6% of all boards when he's not.  With the team 4th in the league, it is hard to argue that Powell's sucking at individual rebounding is a problem.  If he was a problem, wouldn't we be worse as a team when he was in?

"Yeah, but Powell sucks at 3's".  Sure, but how does the TEAM shoot when Powell is on the floor.  The TEAM has the 3rd highest EFG% in the league at .543%.  When Powell is in it is .568% and when he's out it's .523%.  Those aren't "advanced stats".  They are facts.  In my book Powell doesn't have to actually hit the 3's if something he's doing is making the TEAM shoot better.  BTW, .568% is easily the best mark on the team and only Powell, DFS and Luka (in that order) are above the team average of .543%.  

It is a lazy argument to say Powell is a "system player".  What does that mean and is it necessarily bad?  Powell makes the system work.  That's a good thing.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 01-04-2020

Powell eye test.

He's really, really good at scoring at the rim, which is the most valuable place to score.

He's pretty good and staying between his player and the basket against both post and stretch bigs.

He moves well on the court and fits into what the team is doing. He's very unselfish in this regard.

He has good glue guy traits. His bounce, hustle, energy are easy to see. He does some stuff that gets extra possessions.

He ends up being a favorite target for our better point guards.

It's not like the eye test says he's bad. It's really just that his counting stats are down. But that doesn't seem to slow the team down at all.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - vfromlmf - 01-04-2020

@"DanSchwartzman"

Your post reminds me of Spoelstra's recent comments about the definition of a max player. Is the TEAM better with Powell on the floor? Yes.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1212950770468970497

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 10:01 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: But, let's set aside ALL of the formula based data.
I mean no offense in this, but if we were to set aside stats that don't look good for our players, they would all look tremendous. I hope the team doesn't do this with any of our players.

(01-04-2020, 11:11 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Powell eye test.

He's really, really good at scoring at the rim, which is the most valuable place to score.

He's pretty good and staying between his player and the basket against both post and stretch bigs.

He moves well on the court and fits into what the team is doing. He's very unselfish in this regard.

He has good glue guy traits. His bounce, hustle, energy are easy to see. He does some stuff that gets extra possessions.

He ends up being a favorite target for our better point guards.

It's not like the eye test says he's bad. It's really just that his counting stats are down. But that doesn't seem to slow the team down at all.
Similar to what I said to Dan, does your eye test only see the positive things DP does? Cause I agree there is something right about him, but if the only things we can come up with are the positives in our eye test, honestly, our eyes need to be checked.

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - fifteenth - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 11:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I mean no offense in this, but if we were to set aside stats that don't look good for our players, they would all look tremendous. I hope the team doesn't do this with any of our players.

Dan's post sets aside "formula based" stats that have disputed value because not everyone is convinced that they cook the numbers in a helpful way. And those stats he sets aside make Powell look amazing. 

He's setting aside an argument for Powell to make a different argument for Powell.

(01-04-2020, 11:26 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 10:01 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: But, let's set aside ALL of the formula based data.
I mean no offense in this, but if we were to set aside stats that don't look good for our players, they would all look tremendous. I hope the team doesn't do this with any of our players.

I think you miss my point.  I'm setting aside stats that look fantastic for Powell because Scott wants proof outside of these "advanced stats" (which are simply box score stats put into an optimized formula).  I'm saying I'm willing to ignore these and can still make a compelling argument in favor of Powell based on his impact on winning (aka the Spolstra clip regarding Butler).

RE: Mavs Trade Ideas + Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 10:01 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Almost missed this (and did miss the "he never replied" post). Boy, did I pick the wrong day to mount a defense of Powell Wink.

With that said, let's not act like advanced stats are some form of Voodoo Economics. I can understand a distrust of the formula based stats like PER or Win Score where he's averaged a WAY above average 18 on PER and .179 on WS as a Maverick. Formula's have flaws and you can always look at the rankings and say "yeah, but what about so and so...clearly the formula is flawed". But, Box Plus Minus and VORP also show Powell to be substantially above average. At some point when the numbers tell a consistent story you have to wonder if it is the eye test that is failing us. But, let's set aside ALL of the formula based data.

There is absolutely no denying that something good happens when Powell is on the floor. His O Rating is has averaged a stunning 126 during his time as a Mav (and consistently over 120) during good times and bad. He has the highest Net on/off on the team this year (the offense is better and the defense is better when he's on the court). Is the ultimate goal for Powell to excel at (fill in the blank box score stat) or is it for the TEAM to have a positive spread over its opponent? Yeah, but Powell sucks at rebounding...but the TEAM gets 50.7% off all boards when Powell is in and 50.6% of all boards when he's not. With the team 4th in the league, it is hard to argue that Powell's sucking at individual rebounding is a problem. If he was a problem, wouldn't we be worse as a team when he was in?

"Yeah, but Powell sucks at 3's". Sure, but how does the TEAM shoot when Powell is on the floor. The TEAM has the 3rd highest EFG% in the league at .543%. When Powell is in it is .568% and when he's out it's .523%. Those aren't "advanced stats". They are facts. In my book Powell doesn't have to actually hit the 3's if something he's doing is making the TEAM shoot better. BTW, .568% is easily the best mark on the team and only Powell, DFS and Luka (in that order) are above the team average of .543%.

It is a lazy argument to say Powell is a "system player". What does that mean and is it necessarily bad? Powell makes the system work. That's a good thing.

This isn't what I was talking about. A real-world basketball explanation for Powell not being a system player would be things like, he boxes out, he's great at perimeter switching, can keep himself between his man and the basket, defenders think he can actually hit a three, things like that. Things that offset realities like 1) he doesn't have the strength to defend most wings and all NBA posts in the post, 2) he can't rebound in terms of actually getting the ball in his own hands for the Mavericks, 3) he can't defend the rim (although he looked damn good in the 4th against the Nets, I will allow), and 4) he can't shoot a three.

(01-04-2020, 11:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: This isn't what I was talking about. A real-world basketball explanation for Powell not being a system player would be things like, he boxes out, he's great at perimeter switching, can keep himself between his man and the basket, defenders think he can actually hit a three, things like that.  

Here is real world...

The team's O is better when he's in (by a wide margin).
The team's D is better when he's in.
The team shoots MUCH better when he's in.
The team rebounds better when he's in.

You can try to define the ingredients (good and bad) however you wish, but in the end, the stew tastes good.