MavsBoard
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart (/showthread.php?tid=206)

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 11-28-2019

We needs a Favors, a Covington, and a Fred Van Vleet to be in the Clippers, Lakers territory.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - reckoner07 - 11-28-2019

There's no way Powell is getting traded. A newly-signed 4 for $37m, which would require paying compensation to unload (at this time) is not getting dumped, when they just invested in the guy a few months ago. It's not like we're DOOMED to 4 years with him - he's played only 17 games since the new rotation with KP. He will start playing better in time.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 11-28-2019

(11-28-2019, 10:29 PM)reckoner07 Wrote: There's no way Powell is getting traded. A newly-signed 4 for $37m, which would require paying compensation to unload (at this time) is not getting dumped, when they just invested in the guy a few months ago. It's not like we're DOOMED to 4 years with him - he's played only 17 games since the new rotation with KP. He will start playing better in time.

If he never exceeds his best play with us (probably the end of last year), then the contract is an albatross. A lot smaller albatross than say, John Wall or CP3 to be sure, but still very hard to move. And the problem right now is 1) he is stealing minutes from a better player (Maxi, who on this miserable roster unfortunately deserves 30 mpg), and 2) our commitment to him means that it will be psychologically tough for the MBT to admit they goofed, get a starting replacement from him, and bench his butt.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 11-28-2019

(11-28-2019, 10:40 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 10:29 PM)reckoner07 Wrote: There's no way Powell is getting traded. A newly-signed 4 for $37m, which would require paying compensation to unload (at this time) is not getting dumped, when they just invested in the guy a few months ago.  It's not like we're DOOMED to 4 years with him - he's played only 17 games since the new rotation with KP.  He will start playing better in time.

If he never exceeds his best play with us (probably the end of last year), then the contract is an albatross. A lot smaller albatross than say, John Wall or CP3 to be sure, but still very hard to move. And the problem right now is 1) he is stealing minutes from a better player (Maxi, who on this miserable roster unfortunately deserves 30 mpg), and 2) our commitment to him means that it will be psychologically tough for the MBT to admit they goofed, get a starting replacement from him, and bench his butt.

I don't think Mavs are starting Powell bc of money. They have already benched Curry and Wright who were their big FA gets (altho both have had some starts). They are starting DFS who makes less than Maxi. I don't have any idea why Rick keeps starting Powell, plus/minus numbers maybe? Hopefully he wises up eventually.

I feel like Andre Iguodala makes sense if there is another bigger move in the works as well. Mavs have that GS 2nd rounder which is kind of a steep price to pay for half a season of Iggy who might rather be playing for an LA team.

If Mavs can swap any combo of Wright/Curry/Jackson/Brunson or others for a big piece then Iggy as the final guy could be the finishing touch to a roster that could flirt with contention this year.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 11-28-2019

(11-28-2019, 10:46 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: If Mavs can swap any combo of Wright/Curry/Jackson/Brunson or others for a big piece then Iggy as the final guy could be the finishing touch to a roster that could flirt with contention this year.

I think Iggy only makes sense as a third "get" - we need a tough big (e.g. Favors or Adams) + an additional player who can create his own shot and take the pressure off Luka (i.e., a third star, tbh) - more than we need him and before this becomes a roster that comes anywhere close to being able to compete in the second round. If the Mavs trade valuable assets for him (the Golden State 2nd and Lee's expiring are comparatively valuable assets in this scenario) before taking a serious swing at at least one of those two other guys, I would be deeply disappointed.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - reckoner07 - 11-29-2019

(11-28-2019, 10:29 PM)reckoner07 Wrote: There's no way Powell is getting traded. A newly-signed 4 for $37m, which would require paying compensation to unload (at this time) is not getting dumped, when they just invested in the guy a few months ago.  It's not like we're DOOMED to 4 years with him - he's played only 17 games since the new rotation with KP.  He will start playing better in time.

He makes ~$9 million.  There is no such thing as a 4-year contract for $37 million being an albatross, unless the guy is completely unproductive.  And if Powell can get back playing the way he did late last year, or better, the contract might be fine.  He might not get better... but he's played 14 games since the Mavs changed the rotation around - and apparently a lot of people who lives and breathes the Mavs daily feels like those 14 games are necessarily indicative of the remaining 311 on his contract.  Just a little premature. I wasn't a fan of the signing, but Powell has a lot of useful skills for this team going forward.

None of which is the primary point - which is that the Mavs aren't giving up on him, right after they commit him. They'd have to pay to do that... not happening.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Mavs2019 - 11-29-2019

(11-29-2019, 12:17 AM)reckoner07 Wrote:

He makes ~$9 million.  There is no such thing as a 4-year contract for $37 million being an albatross, unless the guy is completely unproductive.  And if Powell can get back playing the way he did late last year, or better, the contract might be fine.  He might not get better... but he's played 14 games since the Mavs changed the rotation around - and apparently a lot of people who lives and breathes the Mavs daily feels like those 14 games are necessarily indicative of the remaining 311 on his contract.  Just a little premature.  I wasn't a fan of the signing, but Powell has a lot of useful skills for this team going forward.
Like what?

He was made the #2 option on a tanking team no opposing defense was paying any attention to as long as the Mavs were losing. It´s like the Mavs auditioned him to fool themselves. The only weak excuse for the extension is that they anticipated the cap would rise sharply again, so 9M would look like 4M. Then Morey happened and now it might look like 14M instead.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - ItsGoTime - 11-29-2019

(11-29-2019, 12:17 AM)reckoner07 Wrote:

He makes ~$9 million.  There is no such thing as a 4-year contract for $37 million being an albatross, unless the guy is completely unproductive.  And if Powell can get back playing the way he did late last year, or better, the contract might be fine.  He might not get better... but he's played 14 games since the Mavs changed the rotation around - and apparently a lot of people who lives and breathes the Mavs daily feels like those 14 games are necessarily indicative of the remaining 311 on his contract.  Just a little premature.  I wasn't a fan of the signing, but Powell has a lot of useful skills for this team going forward.

None of which is the primary point - which is that the Mavs aren't giving up on him, right after they commit him. They'd have to pay to do that... not happening.
Contract
$10,259,375/$10,185,185/$11,000,000/$11,814,815

Not more or less $9M, and with reports that the cap is probably going down next year, that means even worse. I agree that Mark Cuban will not give up on trying to win the Rondo trade still, doesn't mean it's the right choice.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - JamesConway - 11-29-2019

Update on Chicago:

They still suck and Porter is still not playing. Some Bulls-Fans are even beginning to turn on Markkanen. It's that bad over there right now.

Porter is an overpaid wing we could target ==> he'd be an ideal fit here when healthy again
Felicio is an unplayable $8M guy who fits in our trade exception ==> could be absorbed in order to create trade value in our favor
Former lottery guys like Dunn or Valentine are no part of their future ==> potential salary filler
LaVine isn't a keeper for them that's pretty clearly Imo.

Again: not sure if I even like LaVine (probably not) but there are plenty of avenues worth exploring here, especially everything that includes Porter.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - BigDirk41 - 11-29-2019

Looking at our holes makes last off season so much harder to deal with. Maxi and DFS are the only players playing up to or exceeding their contracts.

We aren't good enough to go after half season rental players. Iggy won't make us a championship team. The other worry is we don't really have very good trade pieces. Brunson has killed his value. Jackson doesn't get enough time to add value. Our 2nd round picks and Lee are the only way I see to improve this team until draft night. We probably just need to be content in aiming for the 4-6 seed and waiting on the right opportunities for players.

We absolutely need to move Lee for a productive player and not let him expire. Hopefully our TE gets us something but I'm not confident in that. For us being a surprise good team, we don't really have much to offer outside of Luka and KP.

(11-29-2019, 10:31 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Looking at our holes
That's what she said. Sorry, couldn't help it.

(11-29-2019, 10:31 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Looking at our holes makes last off season so much harder to deal with. Maxi and DFS are the only players playing up to or exceeding their contracts.

We aren't good enough to go after half season rental players. Iggy won't make us a championship team. The other worry is we don't really have very good trade pieces. Brunson has killed his value. Jackson doesn't get enough time to add value. Our 2nd round picks and Lee are the only way I see to improve this team until draft night. We probably just need to be content in aiming for the 4-6 seed and waiting on the right opportunities for players.

We absolutely need to move Lee for a productive player and not let him expire. Hopefully our TE gets us something but I'm not confident in that. For us being a surprise good team, we don't really have much to offer outside of Luka and KP.
I agree with you. I think the value our guys have is low cause they're probably viewed as system guys, RC does a good job of coaching them up and if a team thinks they don't have the coach to do the same, they won't value the player much. Powell is the biggest case for this.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 11-29-2019

(11-29-2019, 10:24 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Update on Chicago:

They still suck and Porter is still not playing. Some Bulls-Fans are even beginning to turn on Markkanen. It's that bad over there right now.

Porter is an overpaid wing we could target ==> he'd be an ideal fit here when healthy again
Felicio is an unplayable $8M guy who fits in our trade exception ==> could be absorbed in order to create trade value in our favor
Former lottery guys like Dunn or Valentine are no part of their future ==> potential salary filler
LaVine isn't a keeper for them that's pretty clearly Imo.

Again: not sure if I even like LaVine (probably not) but there are plenty of avenues worth exploring here, especially everything that includes Porter.

Porter would be interesting. What would the trade be for him?

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - omahen - 11-29-2019

(11-29-2019, 10:24 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Porter is an overpaid wing we could target

Do we really think he is better then THJ? This year he has been just awful.

(11-29-2019, 10:24 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Dunn

Definitely an option if we trade Brunson in some other trade
(11-29-2019, 10:31 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Brunson has killed his value

Why would you think that? He remains very cheap and decent back up PG. I doubt anyone would see him as a starter PG.

(11-29-2019, 10:56 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Porter would be interesting. What would the trade be for him?
The biggest negative to think of is they just traded for him last season. Do they give up on him this quickly? I'm inclined to say no, they don't need to shed his salary. In that sense, you'd have to come with a trade that makes them forget the trade to get him. Something more than Portis, Parker and a protected (I think 56-60 protection) second rounder.

Best I can figure would be something like (and this is only if LaVine puts them in a KP type situation IMO):

It's two trades, first:

Dallas trades TE and future 2nd for Felicio

Second:

Dallas trades THJ, Lee, Brunson, JJ, Wright, 2025 1st, and both 2020 seconds

for

Chicago trades OPJ, LaVine, Dunn, and Valentine

Weakening our bench to strengthen our starters. Saves Chi a lot of money (if that is important to them), gives them lots of money for the 2021 FA bonanza.

Our lineup:

Luka/JJB/Dunn
Zach/Curry/Valentine
OPJ/DFS/Broekhoff
KP/Maxi/Roby
Powell/Felicio/Boban

We go into the offseason targetting Favors and I'm liking that group as long as LaVine can be that #2 playmaker/#2 or 3 scorer and plays more defense than he currently does.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - StepBackJay - 11-29-2019

I'd love to see a Favors move probably more than anything. Favors + Lee and GS pick is better.to me than the same deal for Iguodola.

(11-29-2019, 12:23 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 10:24 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Porter is an overpaid wing we could target

Do we really think he is better then THJ? This year he has been just awful.

(11-29-2019, 10:24 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Dunn

Definitely an option if we trade Brunson in some other trade
(11-29-2019, 10:31 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Brunson has killed his value

Why would you think that? He remains very cheap and decent back up PG. I doubt anyone would see him as a starter PG.
I still think he has value, but we would be selling low. I meant that his value is much lower than it was last year or this summer. He looks like a completely different player this year for whatever reason. I prefer not to sell low on players. Maybe he'll get it going and get his value back to where it was.

(11-29-2019, 12:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 10:56 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Porter would be interesting. What would the trade be for him?
The biggest negative to think of is they just traded for him last season. Do they give up on him this quickly? I'm inclined to say no, they don't need to shed his salary. In that sense, you'd have to come with a trade that makes them forget the trade to get him. Something more than Portis, Parker and a protected (I think 56-60 protection) second rounder.

Best I can figure would be something like (and this is only if LaVine puts them in a KP type situation IMO):

It's two trades, first:

Dallas trades TE and future 2nd for Felicio

Second:

Dallas trades THJ, Lee, Brunson, JJ, Wright, 2025 1st, and both 2020 seconds

for

Chicago trades OPJ, LaVine, Dunn, and Valentine

Weakening our bench to strengthen our starters. Saves Chi a lot of money (if that is important to them), gives them lots of money for the 2021 FA bonanza.

Our lineup:

Luka/JJB/Dunn
Zach/Curry/Valentine
OPJ/DFS/Broekhoff
KP/Maxi/Roby
Powell/Felicio/Boban

We go into the offseason targetting Favors and I'm liking that group as long as LaVine can be that #2 playmaker/#2 or 3 scorer and plays more defense than he currently does.
I'm not sure Lavine can play winning basketball, but I definitely would do that trade to find out. Chicago would only do it to do a complete reset so I have my doubts. We would be absolutely loaded on paper. Lavine is a freak athlete and has a lot of skill, but he also called out his coach recently. Maybe that's a isolated situation though. That's definitely a interesting trade. 

One thing on the TE trade, I don't believe we can include a pick with it but maybe I'm wrong.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - aguiar95 - 11-29-2019

TRADE 1:

DAL: Thompson, Dellavedova.
CLE: Lee.

TRADE 2:

DAL: Bogdanovic.
SAC: Brunson, Curry, 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 UTA 2nd, 2021 DAL2nd.

CLE saves a lot of money and gives up an expiring (maybe throw in Roby if they want a young asset). SAC gets a good package for a guy they can't pay (MIL got a 1st and two 2nd for Brogdon, WAS got two 2nd for Satoransky, UTA got two 2nd for Favors). DAL gets 2 starters and gives up almost nothing of their bench (question is can we pay Bogdan? I believe we can, he might cost 15M/year).

Doncic (6-7)/Bogdanovic (6-6)/DFS (6-7)/KP (7-3)/Thompson (6-9)
Wright (6-5)/Hardaway (6-5)/Jackson(6-7)/Kleber (6-10)/Powell (6-10)

Barea/Dellavedova/Broekhoff/Roby/Marjanovic great locker room guys to keep our boys happy (occasionally can play). Still need a wing defender, but there is no perfect team in the league. Maybe with our 2020 1st we can trade or draft someone there in the offseason.

(11-29-2019, 12:52 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: TRADE 1:

TRADE 2:

CLE saves a lot of money and gives up an expiring (maybe throw in Roby if they want a young asset). SAC gets a good package for a guy they can't pay (MIL got a 1st and two 2nd for Brogdon, WAS got two 2nd for Satoransky, UTA got two 2nd for Favors). DAL gets 2 starters and gives up almost nothing of their bench (question is can we pay Bogdan? I believe we can, he might cost 15M/year).

Barea/Dellavedova/Broekhoff/Roby/Marjanovic great locker room guys to keep our boys happy (occasionally can play). Still need a wing defender, but there is no perfect team in the league. Maybe with our 2020 1st we can trade or draft someone there in the offseason.
I really like both trades if you can get the other teams to say yes.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - DanSchwartzgan - 11-29-2019

TRADE 2:

I'm trying to avoid getting too involved in specific names until 12/15.  But, this is one of your better efforts, so I thought I'd comment.  There are some things here I like and some I don't.

In the Cleveland deal you are clearly banking on a salary dump being something that would motivate them.  I personally think they are more likely to trade for young talent/picks if they can.  But absent that, saving $14-$16 million might eventually move them to act.  You are a little short in terms of outgoing salary.  Taking Dele into the TPE is fine, but Lee alone isn't a match for Thompson.  It isn't hard to fix.  

The other problem area is Dallas is only $12 million under the LT and this deal adds $15mm.  Once Dallas hits the LT, they are likely to be there a while.  Not an issue if you have the right pieces.  Assuming you want to keep Thompson, you are probably killing any additional moves this summer.  Is Thompson worth it? Alternatively, if you do the Sacramento deal below, you'll only have the Full MLE to use this summer.  Does that get you the bruiser you want?  Or, is it worth a little tax to get Thompson now and have his Bird rights in July.  I'd prefer Favors, but he won't be available until July.  I also like Zeller better, but I get the attraction of adding a Thompson-like "bruiser".

Bogdanovic represents a clever strategy.  We tried something similar with Noel and did something similar with KP.  Give up some young assets for a soon to be RFA the other team isn't going to keep anyway.  This could also be accomplished in July.  This, or something like it, feels realistic to me.  The question is whether someone else might outbid us.  Slotting Bogdanovic between Luka and DFS makes good sense.  His handles and shot are a little better (more consistent) than Hardaway's (though his D isn't any better).  You probably get most of what the team was hoping to get from Curry in Bogdonovic in a slightly younger and slightly taller package.

RE: Trade Ideas + Mavs Salary Chart - Scott41theMavs - 11-29-2019

TRADE 2:

I don't think the Mavs have the negotiating abilities to get these done, but I would favor these in a theoretical world.